Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Synful
Synful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Column that allows only checkmarks?

Hi!

I am wanting to add a column that has boxes for check marks only. Or, if boxes are not allowed, then cells that would just allow me to click in it and a check mark would appear.

I went to PREFERENCES>ADD YOUR OWN COLUMNS and tried everything I could think of...but nothing worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Synful
Synful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The closest that exists is the yes/no column.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Synful

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The closest that exists is the yes/no column.
Thanks, that is what I thought.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synful View Post
Thanks, that is what I thought.
Why the frown? Click in the column to get a check mark. Isn't that what you want?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Why the frown? Click in the column to get a check mark. Isn't that what you want?
It only allows right-handed check marks
South-paws tend to tick the other way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
The checkmark system currently is not that intuitive you have to click beside it then choose the the status you want. But as this column has three status I don't think the check mark the way the op is asking would be possible.

P.S. If you don't want to answer don't spam the thread with your sarcasm I think these days some of the moderators and helpers are being too harsh on people asking questions. Calibre is great because of its forum and the ability to discuss problem and ask questions don't ruin the experience for others.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
The checkmark system currently is not that intuitive you have to click beside it then choose the the status you want. But as this column has three status I don't think the check mark the way the op is asking would be possible.

P.S. If you don't want to answer don't spam the thread with your sarcasm I think these days some of the moderators and helpers are being too harsh on people asking questions. Calibre is great because of its forum and the ability to discuss problem and ask questions don't ruin the experience for others.
FYI You don't need to use the selection menu.
Tap Y or N (in the field area) to set the Tick or X
Old 07-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
FYI You don't need to use the selection menu.
Tap Y or N (in the field area) to set the Tick or X
Thanks I did not know that
Old 07-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
Synful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Actually, when you click the cell, an arrow appears, and then you have to click the arrow to chose the Y or N. I wanted something a bit quicker...go down the list and click once in each cell to populate the check mark for each read book. It's all about the quick and easy...I'm lazy like that that! lol
Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The original yes/no column implementation that I did (over a year ago) used tri-state check boxes. The normal implementation for the "undetermined" state is to fill the box with grey.

The implementation was changed to what it is today (again, a year ago) because of user feedback. The majority (IIRC, everybody) wanted Check/X/empty, not checked-square, empty-square, grey square.

Note also that the graphics toolkit (Qt) shows all widgets (e.g., the check box) on the library view in display mode. The user must do something to make the widget changeable. Thus that first click/double click/F2/what-have-you to open the widget would still exist. After that, today, you click once anywhere on the box to open it then click on what you want (two clicks, fixed). With a tri-state check box, after you F2 etc, you would need to click it enough times to get through the three states to what you want(one to two clicks, variable).
Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The original yes/no column implementation that I did (over a year ago) used tri-state check boxes. The normal implementation for the "undetermined" state is to fill the box with grey.

The implementation was changed to what it is today (again, a year ago) because of user feedback. The majority (IIRC, everybody) wanted Check/X/empty, not checked-square, empty-square, grey square.

Note also that the graphics toolkit (Qt) shows all widgets (e.g., the check box) on the library view in display mode. The user must do something to make the widget changeable. Thus that first click/double click/F2/what-have-you to open the widget would still exist. After that, today, you click once anywhere on the box to open it then click on what you want (two clicks, fixed). With a tri-state check box, after you F2 etc, you would need to click it enough times to get through the three states to what you want(one to two clicks, variable).
Truthfully I don't mind very much the way it is at the moment as I only use such a column to mark read once I have finished a book. Now with what theducks said about being able to use y/n to change status it already becomes easier.
Is it possible to set a keyboard short cut to select a custom column for editing so maybe once I select a book I press alt+r and then y to change state of a coulmn.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is it possible to set a keyboard short cut to select a custom column for editing so maybe once I select a book I press alt+r and then y to change state of a coulmn.
If you use windows, then click in the cell then press F2.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
He can set the column to two state, if he wants, instead of 3 state. That would be closer. In the OP, he said he wanted a check in a box, not a faster way than the current way you get a check in a box, so I wasn't sure if he knew what was possible.

Quote:
Where did this come from???? People are answering questions here. I don't see any sarcasm or harshness about asking questions.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synful View Post
Actually, when you click the cell, an arrow appears, and then you have to click the arrow to chose the Y or N. I wanted something a bit quicker...go down the list and click once in each cell to populate the check mark for each read book. It's all about the quick and easy...I'm lazy like that that! lol
you can also update to one choice in Bulk mode.
click, ctrl-click (repeated)
'E' (edit metadata) and set the field (it is on the Custom tab)