Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
sola
sola began at the beginning.

Device: olpc xo
Astak Spectrum with Pixel Qi screen

Does anyone know anything about this model?

This should be a colour capable 10" ereader based on the 3qi screen (instead of eink). That LCD screen has a bw reflective mode, a low power colour mode and a normal, bright colour mode. The bw mode seems to be rivaling eink when there is a lot of ambient light and the backlit colour mode can be used in the dark for night reading.

If they make it powerful enough, this could be the killer web / email / reader device.

I would be very much interested in the specs of this machine (ram, cpu...etc) in order to decide if it is worth waiting for it.
sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
You'll need to ask Robert B. about that. You can find him in the News and Commentary section. He works for Astak, but I'm not sure he can tell you much due to non disclosure agreements with the manufacturers.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sola View Post
Does anyone know anything about this model?

This should be a colour capable 10" ereader based on the 3qi screen (instead of eink). That LCD screen has a bw reflective mode, a low power colour mode and a normal, bright colour mode. The bw mode seems to be rivaling eink when there is a lot of ambient light and the backlit colour mode can be used in the dark for night reading.

If they make it powerful enough, this could be the killer web / email / reader device.

I would be very much interested in the specs of this machine (ram, cpu...etc) in order to decide if it is worth waiting for it.

There appears to be a lot of waiting and a lot of hype on some of these machines.

If this fits what you are looking for, then you need to look at the company's track record for deliverability. If you find it acceptable, then by all means you should wait - if it will give you what you need. If you find it otherwise, you may find what you're looking for in Readers that are already on the market.

A lot may depend on when you need it, the supported format(s), and other qualifications that only you can make.

Whichever Reader you decide to eventually get, once you buy an ebook Reader only a few ever turn away from the enjoyment of reading from an electronic device.

Have fun!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dr. Drib has a good point. Right now, my only option is to wait, because I'm broke, *grin*.
But come tax time next year, the options are looking pretty intriguing, just from what's out and what's been announced at this point.
I've looked at the Smart Q7 and dismissed it - because of the high breakages reported here.
But still in the running are:
Always Innovating Touch Book
Archos 9
Viliv EX 70
JE 100
Astak Spectrum (or whatever they end up naming it - but I mean a Pixel Qi device from Astak)

I already own an Astak EZ Reader, and I am comfortable in saying their customer support is unmatchable. However, I am beginning to want/need something with a larger screen (for PDF's and comics), LCD or Pixel Qi (for color for comics) and I've never been one to gripe about multifunctionality. The other part of my thinking on this is that if I got a MID, then when/if the Google settlement goes through, IF they do what is being rumored and make the content available solely online, I still won't be tied to my desktop to read it.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
sola

@phenomshel

You may add the Crunchpad to your list. It is a 12" LCD tablet device. It may not be ideal for long reading but seems to excel at browsing. And if they manage to bring it on at $300 as they say, it will be an interesting offering.
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sola View Post
@phenomshel

You may add the Crunchpad to your list. It is a 12" LCD tablet device. It may not be ideal for long reading but seems to excel at browsing. And if they manage to bring it on at $300 as they say, it will be an interesting offering.
That looks like a device I would want. Although it is vapor ware at this point in time. When do they "claim" they will start production?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

I did look at it. But the 12" screen I think is going to make it bigger than I want, plus in another thread (I think in News and Commentary) it was discussed that though it may be able to be seduced into being an ereader, it probably won't have that functionality out of the box. It's meant for a stripped down internet browsing device, and unfortunately, I'll probably need a bit more than a browser for it to meet my needs.
Thanks for the thought, though, and if you know of any other devices I missed, by all means let me know!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
sola

I am not sure about the Crunchpad myself because the tablet I want to buy MUST be a good ereader. The Crunchpad will likely not have a PixelQi screen first and a simple LCD screen is not that good on the eyes.

However, the Crunchpad will have a powerful x86 processor (Via Nano) which makes it capable of browsing and playing flash + java apps. Perfect browsing is also a criteria with me.

I don't worry about the reading software because I heard that the Crunchpad will run a stripped down Ubuntu, so FBReader (ebooks) and Evince (PDF) should be fairly easy to install and use. It is true that Evince is not perfect for reading (no clipping of borders for example) but it is usable.

It would be nice to know if the Astak Spectrum will be powerful enough to browse like the Crunchpad. Or at least provide a similar browsing experience.