Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
No "last page read" sync for K2

OK, I'm stumped. I emailed a document (in this case a book) to my K3. It now appears on all my devices. "Last page read" works beautifully on my K3, my iPhone and my iPad, but not my K2. The option is in fact greyed-out on the K2.

I hasten to add that I edited EXTH 113 and 501 to the correct values before emailing the book. Also, the problem isn't unique to this particular book.

Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong? If it makes any difference, my K2 is the international version.

TIA,
Larry
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
lmittell
Enthusiast

*Bump*

Surely I'm not the only one who's had this problem. Anyone?
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmittell View Post
I hasten to add that I edited EXTH 113 and 501 to the correct values before emailing the book.
There's no point in editing the EXTH entries if you're going to email the book (through Amazon) to your Kindle/Archive. Your changes will be re-changed by Amazon's automated process. Modifying the various EXTH records was the way to get side-loaded, non-amazon ebooks to sync across devices—back in the old days. With the new(er) personal documents syncing feature of Amazon's, there shouldn't be any hoops you need to jump through to sync to Furthest Page Read.

The option being grayed out on your Kindle is what I'd be worried about. Is it grayed out on every single book (Amazon purchased or otherwise)? The only thing I have to offer is the fact that the option ("Sync to Furthest Page Read") is never grayed out my K2 (the US-only model which is older) regardless if the ebook is purchased or personal. Have you restarted your K2 lately? I don't mean put it to sleep and wake it back up, but actually honest-to-pete restarted it? If that doesn't do it... time for a Factory Reset, I'd say.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-04-2012 at 07:53 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
lmittell
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply; I really appreciate it.

I tried all your suggestions, including the back-to-zero factory reset. No go; behavior was exactly the same. Sync aplenty with books bought from Amazon, none (as in greyed-out) with personal documents.

Your comment about side loading inspired me to do just that, the result being that sync works just like it should!

So the bottom line is to side load personal docs to the K2. Emailing them through Amazon, though fine for all my other devices, just ain't the thing to do for the K2.

Thanks for causing me to think a bit.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
lmittell
Enthusiast

An addendum--strictly speaking, I didn't email the document to the K2. I first emailed it to my K3, then sent it to the K2 from the "manage my Kindle" page. It probably makes no difference, but I thought I'd throw that in for the sake of accuracy.
Advert