Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
E Ink device for web browsing

Is there an e ink device out there that is suitable for browsing the web? Screen size has to be above 8 inch.

I am only interested in reading websites as e ink would not be good for interactive content or flash / videos.

I am considering getting an iPad, but I would prefer something with e ink as it is much better to read on than an LCD.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Have you considered the Kindle DX? That's the only one I can think of that's at least 8 inches. Infact it's 9.7 inches.
I'm sure others will chip in soon.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
i've used the K3, ipod touche, and ipad.

imo the two apple devices smoke the K3 as far as www browsing.

the K3 smokes the two apples devices as an ereader.

K3 plus ipod touche makes a reasonable combination to do both.

if i had to pick an all in one, and i'm glad that i don't, i'd probably get a macbook air.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
the Boox M90 has a webkit browser and a Wacom touch interface. But I don't think it is out in thee wild just yet but is due this month as I recall reading. There is a thread about it here, maybe in the General or News section.

The Kindle navigation for web pages is nothing sort of horrible. I only use it as a very last result. It takes me a good 10x longer to use a page than with a computer or other tablet device with touch. It's the navigation that's the main issue but the speed of processing pages is pretty bad as well. Haven't used a Wifi Kindle for web access and it might be quicker that the 3G Kindles. Still the real bottleneck is in-page navigation.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
the Boox M90 has a webkit browser and a Wacom touch interface. But I don't think it is out in thee wild just yet but is due this month as I recall reading. There is a thread about it here, maybe in the General or News section.
This is some good info! I've just checked it out now that you've mentioned it. Looks like it will give the Kindle DX some competition.
I believe this is the thread => https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127120
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
This is some good info! I've just checked it out now that you've mentioned it. Looks like it will give the Kindle DX some competition.
I believe this is the thread => https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127120
Cool! That thread is not the one I was reading for a while now. I keep forgetting there is a forum for Onyx products. Oops!

Here is the other thread in the News section:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105058

Lots of nice details in both. I am hoping there will be a nice reader with some good general purpose function like web browsing, email and a reasonable keyboard or even the ability to accept text from a Bluetooth keyboard for longer emails or notes. Don't think the color many of us want so much will be out in an eink screen for at least a year so not going to hold my breath. For now a nice pearl reader with a larger screen should be good enough for the short term.

And yeah, the DX really needs competition. There is the M90 of course but also the Pocketbook 903 which might be the same as the M90 save I don't think it has Wacom. Wait, since the M90 has Wacom if they had some sort of HWR like on the old PalmOS PDA's that would likely be faster than a virtual keyboard but not quiet as fast as a BT keyboard. Of course I can fill the buffer on most systems using BT keyboards which is really annoying. I never in my life would have thought I would get to where I could type fast enough to be ahead of a keyboard buffer, thanks Bluetooth!!

I guess I think this year will be a good year when we finally get some solid eink devices which actually complement a smaller dedicated reader like a Sony/Kindle/Nook etc. Something that handles those basic cloud or web based things like IMAP email, some note taking and can render PDFs well all in a nice larger screen. I guess we are all going to end up with 3-5 devices which combined do 90% of the work we currently use our PCs to accomplish.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
i've used the K3, ipod touche, and ipad.

imo the two apple devices smoke the K3 as far as www browsing.

the K3 smokes the two apples devices as an ereader.

K3 plus ipod touche makes a reasonable combination to do both.

if i had to pick an all in one, and i'm glad that i don't, i'd probably get a macbook air.
Horses for course. I added a Kindle to my stable after it got soundly rejected as a Mothers Day gift. In perfect light it's nice but damn it took a while to stop touching the screen to try and make it do stuff. I prefer reading off backlit screens eg Kindle app on iPad, or iBooks or Coolreader on Android. The important thing is to turn the brightness on the backlit device down to a minimum, otherwise you will burn your eyes out.

However, 3G Kindle let's me browse the BBC website virtually anywhere at no data cost. Very hard to knock that. I believe I'm right in saying that the Kindle has fairly limited browsing capabilities, but it includes the BBC news site and Wikipedia.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Check out the enTourage eDGe if you like. It has 2 screens, one e-ink and one LCD. You can open a web page on the LCD screen and tap an icon to turn that page into epub or pdf to read on the eink screen. Also, you can look things up on the LCD while reading on the e-ink.

It's chunkier than the others mentioned, but probably better than carrying two separate devices.

(BBC News site easily accessible.)
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Check out the enTourage eDGe if you like. It has 2 screens, one e-ink and one LCD. You can open a web page on the LCD screen and tap an icon to turn that page into epub or pdf to read on the eink screen. Also, you can look things up on the LCD while reading on the e-ink.

It's chunkier than the others mentioned, but probably better than carrying two separate devices.

(BBC News site easily accessible.)
The Edge is a nice option for sure, if they will still be in business tomorrow that is. I would only buy an Edge in either version at the blow out prices right now or less. There is a thread where the Pocket Edge is under $200 right now on Amazon. Not bad price for that it delivers even if Entourage goes teats-up tomorrow there is going to be a devoted userbase for a long time to come. Still people need to know the company is looking as if it is struggling to keep it going. A shame, nice idea probably just under capitalized for the long term.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Is there an e ink device out there that is suitable for browsing the web? Screen size has to be above 8 inch.

I am only interested in reading websites as e ink would not be good for interactive content or flash / videos.

I am considering getting an iPad, but I would prefer something with e ink as it is much better to read on than an LCD.
I personally don't like eink or ereaders for Internet. It's slow and the experience is not the best. I also like to see and use my Kindle as a dedicated ereader so browsing Internet defeats that purpose a little bit. If I've used my Kindle browser three times, that's probably too much.

I prefer the iPad or Galaxy Tab for that. Browsing is faster and full color.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #11
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reviving this, because no useful answers.
I am looking for the best eink reader for web-browsing. Colors, animations not needed. Reading the news and articles is the main goal.

Maybe the Ectaco Jetbook would work?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
BlackVoid
Evangelist

Candidates
Onyx Boox M90
Pocketbook Pro 903
Sony PRS-950
Ectaco Jetbook Color
Hanlin A9

Requirements:
touch screen
larger than 6"
non-LCD screen

Last edited by BlackVoid; 12-11-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Reviving this, because no useful answers.
I am looking for the best eink reader for web-browsing. Colors, animations not needed. Reading the news and articles is the main goal.

Maybe the Ectaco Jetbook would work?
The Jetbook is not eInk - it's a reflective LCD screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
Ethelred?
Ethelred? has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle 2
If you're interested in specific websites, and those websites have RSS feeds for new articles, I think you can use Calibre to automatically download those articles and format them as epub/mobi/etc. I think it can also send them wirelessly to your reader, if it has that capability.

If you like just browsing around and finding articles to read, there are services like Instaread that will also format articles for ereaders.

Basically, finding a device that will give a good browsing experience is tricky, but if you're mostly just interested in content then there are a number of ways to convert it for later reading, often automatically.
Ethelred? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
BlackVoid
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Jetbook is not eInk - it's a reflective LCD screen.
I am referring to this model:
http://www.jetbookk12.com/jetbookcolor/

Actually this is the same as this one:
http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/eb...ucts-C920.html

This is Triton e-ink.