Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
tolyluis
Enthusiast
tolyluis doesn't littertolyluis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Problems with Calibre and Debian Squeeze

Hi everybody

I have installed Calibre from repositories on debian squeeze and I can't fetch news, it says that "I have no internet connection". I tried to install the latest version with the general python command and it's installed ok, but the internet problem persists, somebody can help me?

Of course, my internet connection works fine in debian....
tolyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Did you uninstall the repo version before installing the latest binary from calibre's website?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are not using network manager to manage your internet connection, make sure it is not running or uninstalled as calibre queries it to detect the state of your internet connection.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
tolyluis
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, of course Calibre from repos was uninstalled before installing 0.7.43 version.

I'll look the network-manager status later.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
tolyluis
Enthusiast

Fixed!

The problem is fixed, thanks for the replies. I haven't activated network-manager, I've followed the Debian Wiki and it works with no problems.
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
sgtrock
sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolyluis View Post
The problem is fixed, thanks for the replies. I haven't activated network-manager, I've followed the Debian Wiki and it works with no problems.
tolyluis, what did you learn on the wiki that resolved your issue? I'm struggling with this again after wiping Ubuntu 10.04 and going with Squeeze. I really don't want to drop Network Manager this time if I can avoid it because I'd like to explore some features that it supports. For good or ill, it seems to be becoming the default frontend for all networking services for Linux PCs (Debian based, anyhow).

P.S. I did read the page, btw. The only thing that looked remotely relevant was to make sure that interfaces with static addresses needed to be identified as such in /etc/network/interfaces so Network Manager would not attempt to configure them. I've done that. Was there something else that you saw?

Last edited by sgtrock; 01-18-2012 at 10:47 AM.
sgtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
tolyluis
Enthusiast

The problem was the software to manage network connections on squeeze, as said Kovid "network manager" is needed for Calibre to manage the internet connection. Nowadays I've my Squeeze unmaintained, a problem with a misconfigurated grub2 is preventing the access to my debian. And with the job I have, travelling so much over the province of Toledo (Toledo from Spain, not Ohio ) I've no time to maintain my old recipes, my old debian squeeze...