Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Updated Christian Bible Launches eBook Version Before Print Version

This is good, but only if the eBook is cheaper than print editions.

Quote:
Zondervan, the world's leading Bible publisher, today launched the first product featuring the updated New International Version of the Bible (NIV) – a digital eBook of the bestselling NIV Bible (www.TheNIVBible.com). The digital release marks the first time that a new Bible translation has launched in a digital format prior to publication in a print format. Print products featuring the updated NIV – the world's most read modern English Bible with more than 400 million copies in print – are scheduled for release in March 2011.
Formats available:

- Online (free)
- Kindle ($9.99)
- Kobo ($9.99)
- Nook ($9.99)
- Sony ($9.99)

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-23-2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: to add available formats
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Cherchezlafemme
Cherchezlafemme has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-700
Interesting...a Bible I've been interested in purchasing for a while costs $50+, but I recently discovered a Kindle version for $3.99. I have the Kindle for Android on my phone, but I don't know if I'd take the plunge and purchase an image-intensive e-Bible.
Cherchezlafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
there are bibles and there are bibles... you must pay a close attention to what version you are going to purchase/read...
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamV View Post
there are bibles and there are bibles... you must pay a close attention to what version you are going to purchase/read...
That depends on your religious leanings.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do we know where this new edition is available from? I can't see it in the Kindle bookstore.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-NIV.../dp/B004G5Z1HM
Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I was looking at Bibles earlier and didn't see this listed. It must have been added later. And I'm talking about a matter of hours ago. This looks good but I'll wait to see what others have to say about the navigation.

Zondervan puts out a very good NIV, it is what my pbook version is, though I use several for crossreference.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thank you. It doesn't seem to be available yet in the UK Kindle store, unfortunately. Hopefully it will be before long - all of Zondervan's other stuff is there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
There's something not quite right here. If I want to read the New NIV as an ebook I'd either have to remove the DRM so I could read it on my Sony, or buy a Nook or a Kindle just for the NIV. I don't think so, at least until I find out how good the navigation is.

From what I've seen of the NIV 2010 on Bible Gateway I'm not sure if the new wording is that much better.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
There's something not quite right here. If I want to read the New NIV as an ebook I'd either have to remove the DRM so I could read it on my Sony, or buy a Nook or a Kindle just for the NIV. I don't think so, at least until I find out how good the navigation is.

From what I've seen of the NIV 2010 on Bible Gateway I'm not sure if the new wording is that much better.

Regards, Alex
Sony has a version. Either I missed it earlier or it was recently added.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Sony has a version. Either I missed it earlier or it was recently added.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that either. But Sony doesn't sell to Australia, so I'll have to find an ebook store which does. You've put me a step closer anyway.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
What's up with the reviews for the new NIV? Only one out of 33 is for this Kindle edition of NIV, while the rest are:

This review is from: NRSV Ministry/Pew Bible (Hardcover)
This review is from: holy Bible (King James Version) (Hardcover)
This review is from: NIV Ministry/Pew Bible (Blue ) (Hardcover)
This review is from: KJV Ministry/Pew Bible (Hardcover)

This is misleading. Who is doing it? Amazon or Zondervan?

Last edited by osnova; 12-23-2010 at 11:20 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
What's up with the reviews for the new NIV? Only one out of 33 is for this Kindle edition of NIV, while the rest are:

This review is from: NRSV Ministry/Pew Bible (Hardcover)
This review is from: holy Bible (King James Version) (Hardcover)
This review is from: NIV Ministry/Pew Bible (Blue ) (Hardcover)
This review is from: KJV Ministry/Pew Bible (Hardcover)

This is misleading. Who is doing it? Amazon or Zondervan?
Look at the dates on those reviews. They're for older versions. The print version of this new edition isn't scheduled to be released until March 2011.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #14
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Look at the dates on those reviews. They're for older versions. The print version of this new edition isn't scheduled to be released until March 2011.
I know. My question is why are those reviews associated with this publication. I think it's Amazon trying to combine reviews for similar products but it is disservice to the customers.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I know. My question is why are those reviews associated with this publication. I think it's Amazon trying to combine reviews for similar products but it is disservice to the customers.
OK, I get what you're saying. I've seen that on other products, so I usually disregard their reviews. It's a pain to sort them out.