Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #511
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
It will be fixed whenever I release the next version...
Which, KD tells me, will be when the next version of calibre is released (probably Friday), in case anyone's interested!

----------
Kiwidude, thanks for you swift and friendly help over in the Modify ePub thread.

Another one about QC...

A file shows up as having "broken image links". It's from this site - a very nice Jellby release.

I can't see in Sigil what the error refers to.

This is the QC log:

The Intrusion of Jimmy / Unknown
Broken image link in: OEBPS/Cover.xhtml of images/cover.png

This is the link to the file:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57611

Can you see what it is that I need to Tweak or edit in Sigil to fix it, please?

Many thanks.

Last edited by 44reader; 07-05-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: typo
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #512
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If you look at the Cover.xhtml page you will see there is a <!--commented out--> link to images/cover.png. So it is not visible when you view the page and does no harm, but the person who edited the epub should really have deleted it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #513
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Thanks again, kiwidude.

Useful info; I'm very Sigil/html-ignorant.

Now I'm one small step more educated.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #514
44reader
Connoisseur

I ran "check replaceable cover" and that same file I posted above came up.

I ran Modify ePub's “Update metadata” but it still shows up when I re-run Quality Check.

Any ideas? Thank you.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #515
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@44reader - it sounds like you don't understand what that check is for. Have you read the help file by any chance? (Not being facetious - just wanting to know if my explanation there needs enhancing).

A "replaceable" cover is a *good* thing. It means that when you use save to disk/send to device (or the Update metadata option in Modify ePub) that calibre will replace the cover in the ePub with the latest cover you have given the book in your library. So you ran the check, it told you it was possible for that book to have its cover replaced, then you ran Modify ePub and replaced it. It isn't telling you that the cover *needs* replacing because it is a different image, it is just telling you that it "could" be replaced. Hence why you run the check again the book shows up again.

Whereas the Check non-replaceable cover tells you that running "Update metadata" or save to disk/send to device is *not* going to be able to replace your cover image. The only way around that is to use the "Insert or replace cover" option in Modify ePub, or do a conversion in calibre (the former the preferred option).
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #516
44reader
Connoisseur

Quote:
@44reader - it sounds like you don't understand what that check is for. Have you read the help file by any chance? (Not being facetious - just wanting to know if my explanation there needs enhancing).
I've read it many times! I'm not suggesting it could be written better; it's just that I had trouble getting my head round it. I'm just thick really.

Quote:
A "replaceable" cover is a *good* thing. It means that when you use save to disk/send to device (or the Update metadata option in Modify ePub) that calibre will replace the cover in the ePub with the latest cover you have given the book in your library. So you ran the check, it told you it was possible for that book to have its cover replaced, then you ran Modify ePub and replaced it. It isn't telling you that the cover *needs* replacing because it is a different image, it is just telling you that it "could" be replaced. Hence why you run the check again the book shows up again.

Whereas the Check non-replaceable cover tells you that running "Update metadata" or save to disk/send to device is *not* going to be able to replace your cover image. The only way around that is to use the "Insert or replace cover" option in Modify ePub, or do a conversion in calibre (the former the preferred option).
I get it. Thanks.

However, I've changed a lot of covers and what I still don't quite understand is this:

I've changed lots of covers and then done conversions and/or run "Update metadata" and/or "Insert or replace cover".

The only few that are showing up as "replaceable" are the ones whose covers I have changed very recently.

I can't work out what I've done to the rest (the vast majority) that makes them all show up as "non-replaceable".

I don't think it matters either way, because the "non-replaceable" ones have already been replaced. But I'm still confused. Sorry.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #517
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

So you are saying you have a book that you 100% know you did a calibre conversion on in the past, but shows up as non-replaceable? Have you done any editing on that ePub say in Sigil? It is possible (from what you said in a PM previously) that you have deleted/edited something which means the cover is no longer earmarked in a way calibre understands it?

Fundamentally it is going to come down to one of three things. Either...
(1) there is a bug in the plugin logic and the QC plugin is telling lies,
(2) you haven't actually yet converted/ or run Modify ePubs insert/replace cover feature on that ePub, or
(3) you did run one of those options above, but subsequently edited the epub using Tweak ePub/Sigil and managed to trash the things calibre uses to identify the cover.

If the plugin is telling lies, you can find out for youself by just changing the cover image in calibre and using Save to disk (don't convert/run Modify ePub on it). If the ePub in that output folder now has the new cover, the QC plugin has a bug. If not, then it is (2) or (3) which would be user error
Old 07-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #518
44reader
Connoisseur

OK, I didn't do exactly what you suggested to find out the answer but...

1) was never going to be an option. I knew I was being dumb.

In order to address 2) and 3), I ran insert/replace cover on a book and, hey presto, it now has a replaceable cover.

I've really got noob syndrome and I am very sorry. I don't usually behave like this.

I just don't know what I did to so many books in order to "subsequently edited the epub using Tweak ePub/Sigil and managed to trash the things calibre uses to identify the cover". I'm going to run insert/replace cover on the whole lot, I think.

Sorry to clog up the thread and waste your time. Will you forgive me?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #519
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

I find that crossing a palm with silver earns instant forgiveness.

Questions are fine, it shows I need to elaborate in the help file more to try to ease the confusion. It is always difficult to find a balance in help files though. If I completely spelled everything out in explicit detail so that someone who had never seen an epub before could understand, then (a) it would take me days to write and (b) it would be enormously long, which would put a lot of people off reading it.

Heck I hate reading help files myself. In all but the most technical of areas it is frequently a sign that you have failed as an interface developer if your users are forced to go looking in the help. This however is for the most part a very technical plugin with some obscure options that I guarantee the majority of users could not otherwise explain what they do or why they might use them.

As the report card says, "must try harder".
Old 07-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #520
44reader
Connoisseur

No, I meant it when I said it was worded fine already. I really am just a bit thick when it comes to certain things.

I get there in the end usually. I'm just a calibre noob; that's the main problem.

Thanks for all the clarifications. I'm inserting covers (again?) and they are all showing up as replaceable so all is well.

Quote:
I find that crossing a palm with silver earns instant forgiveness.
Sorry. You're breaking up. I'm going through a tunnel.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #521
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
Just got pointed to this Plugin to correct my Authors LN,FN => FN LN and realised how wonderful it is :-)

I still have loads of problems to wade through and wondered if you could add them to the plugin?

If titles and authors have been switched on some books these can be a pain to find - I ended up doing loads of Author searches for any non-alpha character but not knowing regex I had to individually do Author:":" , then Author:";" etc etc etc - is there any way you could extend the "Author contains/doesn't "," routine to be Author contains anything non-alpha / non-alph excluding "," ??

Also, have a problem with some metadata sources returning author initials differently...
is it...

AJ Smith
A.J. Smith
A. J. Smith
A.J. Smith

etc etc - all of which produce multiple author entries in calibre2opds .

Any way of finding and correcting these errors? Obviously different people will have different opinions as to what is the "correct" method which may complicate things :-(

Otherwise its an excellent plugin :-)
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #522
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@DMee - I think a new "Check authors non-alphabetic" option sounds reasonable, to catch cases of dodgy author metadata or multiple author seprators. Obviously you have to allow for apostrophe as well as period, comma and space. However the complication around that is for authors with diatrics. So I would apply the same approach I use in Find Duplicates which converts authors to their ascii equivalents before doing the alphabetic check. Arguably there could be also be yet another check for "Check authors non-ascii" which would allow users who don't want diatrics for the complications they cause (such as in ebook searches).

As for the author variations - funny how the timing coincides on these things. You can find those variations using the Find Duplicates plugin if you do an "Ignore Title, Similar Author" search. However I am also going to put on that thread tonight a beta for a new version of that plugin with a new menu option called "Check metadata variations". It was something I started off adding to Quality Check and ended up adding it to Find Duplicates instead. It works on authors, series, tags or publisher. On a new screen you can see grouped together the variations of names using your choice of algorithms and then rename them to consolidate. So keep an eye out on that thread.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #523
DMee
Zealot

:-) Excellent - however "variations" means at least one has to be correct??

What if everything was

AJ Smith

but you wanted

A. J. Smith??
Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #524
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Ahhh, I understand now, got all over-excited wanting to prattle on about the new variations stuff.

So really you want a "Check author initials" option, with a configuration option allowing users to specify how they want their initials formatted.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #525
DMee
Zealot

:-) its not prattle - it prompted me to run it and found loads of errors :-)

But yes, what I'm after is "Check Author Initials" :-)

(Actually what I **REALLY** want is a big button to run every check in all of your plugins, which then runs off and corrects all the errors all on its own) ;-)