Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
stvn0
stvn0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Talking If you don't want receive ADs for your KSO, you can...

I got KSO few days ago from a friend, i don't expect the Kindle3 special offer version, frankly, the ADs don't very much bother me.

however, when i reviewed the forums and found still there're quite some people are looking the way to disable the ADs, and I also did some tests and found it is actually very easy

YOU DON"T HAVE TO JAILBREAK

1. connect your KSO to computer
2. enter system folder on kindle (you may have to show all hidden folders and files)
3. there's a folder .assets (if you have already received ADs)
4. delete this folder or rename it (you may have to use command interface)
5. create a blank file name .assets (in windows command window, you can type copy con .assets, then press f6)
6. you don't even have to restart, but i will suggest you do so
7. ADs will not be downloaded anymore even if you connect to wifi

however, the screensave will always prompt you to download ADs. and banners too. i actually prefer it shows ADs

and i think if you have jailbreaked it (when it is FW3.2), you may now use screensaver hack to change to your own screensavers. however, my kindle is upgraded to 3.2.1 and as i understand it cannot be jailbreaked now. so i cannot do further test.

if you decided never go wifi again, you can choose not to create the .assets file, then the normal screen saver will be show. however, if you connect wifi the AD will also come.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
metr0man
metr0man is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi
I found that a little hard to follow, so I want to make sure I have this right...

If you replace the assets folder with a blank .assets, then it will show the "please connect wi-fi to download special offers" screen?

On top of that, if you have 3.2, then you can use the standard jailbreak screensaver hack?

I'm guessing a new SS hack will come soon for 3.2.1 so it sounds like a two step SO hack is on the table.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I'm all in favour of the customisation hacks that allow you to do things that the native software doesn't, but this one smells like cheating. You have made a deal with Amazon for a cheap, fully functional, Kindle and all they ask in return is that they can show you ads in the screen-savers and home page (that you can ignore anyway). Disabling those ads seems wrong to me.

Maybe my "conscience-ectomy" has worn off.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
I'm all in favour of the customisation hacks that allow you to do things that the native software doesn't, but this one smells like cheating. You have made a deal with Amazon for a cheap, fully functional, Kindle and all they ask in return is that they can show you ads in the screen-savers and home page (that you can ignore anyway). Disabling those ads seems wrong to me.
I agree. You've voluntarily agreed to accept the advertising and (effectively) been paid $25 to do so. By disabling them, you're not fulfilling your side of the contract.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool post some photos

what with all the interest in the kso, i'm interested to see what one of these ads looks like and even more interested in what the banner looks like, anyone willing to post some photos?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Old 05-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Old 05-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Technical side: a nice hack. Moral side: not so nice.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
jeffk
jeffk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've had the KSO for about a week now and honestly I can't see any issue with the ads, other than when there's a cool offer I can't take up because I live in Australia. Mostly I don't even register they're there.

The deal was to get adverts in exchange for a cheaper price and I really cant see the point of hacking them out to avoid looking at them for the two seconds it takes to turn the device on.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool banner

thanks, tubemonkey.

anyone have an example of the 'home' banner.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I disagree with those who are saying that I have no right to modify something that I can hold with my hands. I would have said that I own, but ownership might be against the KSO TOS, haven't read it though.

@Tubemonkey Did Amazon request that you repeatedly gaze at the ads on your KSO before you bought it?

One of the few things that scares me is living in a world that is incapable of becoming ad free.

There's probably going to be some internet advertising bill coming up in various parliaments shortly. Served directly by ISP's, of which google is now one,

"We have detected that you have disabled ads, in order to connect to our network you must enable them."

Last edited by Giggleton; 05-21-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
thanks, tubemonkey.

anyone have an example of the 'home' banner.
YW and post 9 has the banner ad.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
YW and post 9 has the banner ad.
i'm unawawe what is meant by 'TW'. post 9 as displayed in firefox on my win 7 computer is an empty post (like blank)???
Old 05-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
Apart from a Screensaver Hack, I think some of the ads are nicer looking than some of the depressing dead writers...
Closed Thread