Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
According to your profile you have a 350. Have you ever had and used a Blackberry charger with a 300 or 600 reader? I have had a 300 & currently own a 350. You CANNOT use the USB to charge the X00 series of readers. It doesn't work. The ONLY way to charge the X00 series of readers is with the barrel plug or while connected to the computer.
Yes, that was the case with the 300/600. The 350/650 will charge fine with any USB charger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
According to your profile you have a 350. Have you ever had and used a Blackberry charger with a 300 or 600 reader? I have had a 300 & currently own a 350. You CANNOT use the USB to charge the X00 series of readers. It doesn't work. The ONLY way to charge the X00 series of readers is with the barrel plug or while connected to the computer.
I have the PRS-505, and I had used the barrel plug with it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that was the case with the 300/600. The 350/650 will charge fine with any USB charger.
AFAIK, far from any.
For example, many people complained that their HTC chargers didn't charge 650/350.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use a cheap powered USB Hub. It has 4 ports so I can charge up to four USB devices simultaneously. As long as regular USB ports work, no need to waste money on separate chargers for each device.

Besides, ereaders have a long battery life. It's not like an mp3 player which needs fresh juice twice a day. Just plug it into the PC while you use the PC and you should never have to charge it while reading...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I use a cheap powered USB Hub. It has 4 ports so I can charge up to four USB devices simultaneously. As long as regular USB ports work, no need to waste money on separate chargers for each device.

Besides, ereaders have a long battery life. It's not like an mp3 player which needs fresh juice twice a day. Just plug it into the PC while you use the PC and you should never have to charge it while reading...
But that's not going to work for people who travel without their computer. Or those who want to be able to charge the unit & read at the same time.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #21
Gary Young
Gary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I bought a PRS-T1 to replace my PRS-650 about a week ago. Then I started looking for a stand alone charger for the T1.

Today I found an HP charger intended for the (discontinued) TouchPad tablet computer being sold off cheap at Staples (Canada). It is pretty standard, Input is 110v AC, and there is one output port for a USB connector. As an added bonus, the charger comes with a USB A to micro-USB cable.

My T1 is happily charging from this power supply as I type this, and the HP charger, including the cable, was only 5.98 Canadian dollars, which was an amazing deal.

Gary
Gary Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #22
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Young View Post
I bought a PRS-T1 to replace my PRS-650 about a week ago. Then I started looking for a stand alone charger for the T1.

Today I found an HP charger intended for the (discontinued) TouchPad tablet computer being sold off cheap at Staples (Canada). It is pretty standard, Input is 110v AC, and there is one output port for a USB connector. As an added bonus, the charger comes with a USB A to micro-USB cable.

My T1 is happily charging from this power supply as I type this, and the HP charger, including the cable, was only 5.98 Canadian dollars, which was an amazing deal.

Gary
I have an hp touchpad charger and never even thought to try it out with my Sony reader, thanks for the tip!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #23
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
You can also use a cigarette lighter adapter
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #24
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I am presuming the wall charger for the x50 range is OK for the T1 ?
Managed with the USB so far, but if it won't break it, I'll bung the T1 on it and see.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 11-07-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: can't spell....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I am presuming the wall charger for the x50 range is OK for the T1 ?
Managed with the USB so far, but if it won't break it, I'll bung the T1 on it and see.
Yep! That'll work for the T1 no problem.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #26
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
As far as I can see, the T1 would not recharge using my usb battery.

I use this :
http://www.amazon.fr/Sony-Computer-9...742298&sr=8-14
Bought that for the Ps3, pricey, but have two usb ports, and having a separate bloc allows to have both bloc (and usb plugs), somewhere accessible.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #27
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Does anyone know what Amp the Sony T1 needs? The one I'm looking at are from Belkin and say 1-amp Quick-charge would they work?
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #28
Linc
Linc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Charging your sony ereader

I have spent some time today trying to get the Sony ereader PRS-T1 to charge off just a 5V supply without luck. So I put a scope onto the USB data lines and watched the ereader "chatting" to the PC the whole time. So the upshot is that those people at Sony have made damn sure that you can not use any old charger. No combinations of just tying data lones high or low with pullup resistors works, there must be an active "chatting" between the reader and the charger, whcih is why the PC works. I love the Sony reader but I hate the way they have behaved here to make sure you must buy their accessories. It's a dirty way to do business. There is no need for a USB device to "chat" just to charge.
Linc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc View Post
I have spent some time today trying to get the Sony ereader PRS-T1 to charge off just a 5V supply without luck. So I put a scope onto the USB data lines and watched the ereader "chatting" to the PC the whole time. So the upshot is that those people at Sony have made damn sure that you can not use any old charger. No combinations of just tying data lones high or low with pullup resistors works, there must be an active "chatting" between the reader and the charger, whcih is why the PC works. I love the Sony reader but I hate the way they have behaved here to make sure you must buy their accessories. It's a dirty way to do business. There is no need for a USB device to "chat" just to charge.
I have successfully charged my reader with a blackberry charger and with an HP touchpad charger. If you have any lying around you can use them to charge your Sony T1, or you can try to pick up a cheap blackberry charger.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I have successfully charged my reader with a blackberry charger and with an HP touchpad charger. If you have any lying around you can use them to charge your Sony T1, or you can try to pick up a cheap blackberry charger.
Just to add to this, mine charges just fine off a Nook charger and a Kindle charger.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote