Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Question Free ebook included?

I was reading a review in Which? Magazine that said the Kindle came supplied with an eBook. I appreciate this was referring to the K2, but was wondering which book that was? Was it the same with the original Kindle? Or are you usually allowed one free download from the store to go with your new purchase?
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The only book included with a Kindle is the User Guide.
It was iBooks on the iPad - that gave readers a copy of a Winnie-the-Pooh book.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
The only book included with a Kindle is the User Guide.
Yep.

If you order one or more books for delivery to a new Kindle, they'll typically be loaded when it arrives; perhaps that was what the author was referring to?
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Wasn't the nook supposed to come with a book too - a Malcolm Gladwell? I remember many people didn't get it and then they had a difficult time getting Barnes and Noble to remember that they'd promised it.

But if you buy a Kindle you can go look at all the free books and start one clicking before the Kindle even makes it to your house. They'll download as soon as the wireless connects.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
None for me other than the user guide, but when I put the kindle software on my ipad, Amazon gave me a Dexter book (Dexter by Design) which I then had Amazon send to my Kindle.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I dont know but my sony e-reader came pre-loaded with 3 or 4 books.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thanks for the replies, I think Which? were a bit naughty saying you got a book with it. I'm fine waiting until mine arrives then ransacking Project Gutenberg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
If you order one or more books for delivery to a new Kindle, they'll typically be loaded when it arrives;
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
if you buy a Kindle you can go look at all the free books and start one clicking before the Kindle even makes it to your house. They'll download as soon as the wireless connects.
The only problem with this is the fact I'm in the UK. We don't get our shop until August 27 & I can't get any of the free books from the US site because my Kindle isn't linked to that.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Erinath
Shy Philosopher

Mystery solved

I contacted Which? Magazine about this & yesterday discovered the free book they were referring to is: The New Oxford Dictionary lol
Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
If you've ordered your Kindle, you can now buy any of the free books in the store (see the thread at the top of this forum for the ones just from this month, or check my blog for a current list by genre). Then, you'lll get ALL of them on your Kindle when you turn it on.

If you wait until it arrives, you'll probably miss a total of 20 books (based on an average turnover of 5 a week, which is actually a low estimate based on recent history).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I dont know but my sony e-reader came pre-loaded with 3 or 4 books.
which books your reader have
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Koland is right, at any given time, the Amazon Kindle bookstore has 10 or more free ebooks. If you have a Kindle on order, you can start to "buy" the free books now and they will automatically get loaded into your Kindle once you charge the battery and turn the Kindle on.

At the Kindle bookstore, just sort for price low to high. If you do not want "classic" ebooks, add "-domain" in the search line before you sort and all the $0.00 ebooks will appear first, without the classics.

Of course you can also go to Koland's post and all the search work is done for you classified by genre.

Cheers and Good hunting
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Erinath
Shy Philosopher

Thanks for the advice everyone, I managed to grab a few of the free UK books before Amazon removed them. Will continue to keep an eye on what freebies get offered meanwhile too.