Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
is it possible to set mobipocket "subject" metadata from calibre?

I can't figure out how this is done if it is supported. I know the calibre "way" is to use a tag for genre, but I also use mobipocket reader and like to use genre/subject for that. If I can write that metadata from calibre into the .mobi file that would make me very happy.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
when you save to disk in calibre, metadata is written to mobi files. I dont recall if it writes tags, since the kindle doesn't support tags, but try it and see
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

I was really hoping that some kind of map would exist that would help me understand the relationship between the exact variablenames in the mobi standard metadata vs calibre's metadata and under what circumstances I can get calibre to write to the mobi metadata.

Is there documentation on this?

For example: I'd like to write to the mobi Subject field (this is a tag in calibre so this is my trickiest mapping). I'd like to make sure that the calibre "comments" are updated to the mobi "description". I'm sure there are a few more:

Basically right now I use calibre to do my file conversions into mobi format but then I use mobi2mobi (GUI) to get the mobi metadata the way I want. If I could eliminiate the use of mobi2mobi and do it all within calibre I'd be very pleased...

Or if mobi2mobi was in some way a plugin for calibre. Anyhow, I think you get my drift.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
rheostaticsfan
Zealot

I did some experimentation and it seems that the entire list of tags (for the book) gets written to the "subject" metadata field when saving a .mobi file in calibre. I mean the tags applied to that book, not the list of all tags used in the library.

Just in case anyone wants to know.