Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
Multiple weirdness - can someone help?

Well, I successfully flashed my prs-505. The library is another matter. I run Vista 32-bit Ultimate in Admin mode. I also have 2 hard drives. My original Sony Reader software was on the C: drive, When I tried to install the new version of the software it ran almost to the end and then stopped saying I didn't have admin rights to modify the /fonts file in the Sony Reader directory. I know Vista pretty well (or so I thought) and checked - yep - I have Admin rights. As a work-around, I set up another Admin account and tried to install from that - no joy, same message.

Next attempt - I installed to my other E: drive. This worked as a fresh install - except the new version of the library can't see my ebook library (which is under My Books/ebook library)!

So questions 1:
Why does the Reader install program think I can't modify the /fonts folder and how do I fix this? Again, I AM set up as an admin.

Question 2:

If I give up and stick with my other install on the E: drive how do I point it to my library?

Question 3:

If I go with the E: drive install, since the uninstall option only points to that instance can I safely simply delete the C; drive folder from the original install?

Question 4 (unrelated):

With the new firmware, how does one get to the delete option on the device that they added? I can't find it anywhere (and I did confirm that the flash was successful).

Incidentally - I called Sony Tech Support on this last night. Went to Level 2 support - and both the Level 1 and Level 2 people were CLUELESS on all of this. I had to tell the Level 2 guy where my ebooks were located under Vista (!) and he had to go consult manuals on every question with no answers when he returned. After over 1 hour (mostly listening to music and silence) I gave up. Thank goodness for this forum.

Any help you folks can give would be much appreciated!
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote