Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Reading speed

What is an acceptable reading speed for reading on smartphone?

Moonreader tells me that I'm reading at only 200 wpm, maybe it's because the LCD. IDK.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd say at least 1000 WPM.

Oh you also want comprehension and retention?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Acceptable to whom? It's not a race - whatever works for you is what's right.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 AM   #4
JohnRR
Connoisseur
JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I am slower when I use my phone to read (which doesn't happen a lot as I like to carry my Kindle most of the time, except when there is a heavy rain). I don't know what my speed is. I think it is more important to enjoy the books than finishing them faster.
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Just go to the google play store and search for "rapid serial visual presentation".
There are also plugins and apps for browsers, including Chrome.

Crank it up!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
AFAIK 300 WPM is average or better for the majority whether paper or electronic. Reading at 2/3 that speed is pretty good on a smaller LCD device. After all you can read at times and places where you normally couldn't. I remember many times wishing I had a book with me and even these days I have forgotten to take an ereader to places where I will sit idle.

The extra reading opportunities and the times that you don't spend staring blankly at a wall will make up the word count, and chances are your speed will increase over time as well.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't think there is any set wpm goal that you have to meet. In fact I think if you try to read a book too fast you can end up not enjoying the full flavor of the story.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Acceptable to whom? It's not a race - whatever works for you is what's right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I don't think there is any set wpm goal that you have to meet. In fact I think if you try to read a book too fast you can end up not enjoying the full flavor of the story.
This. Unless you're under a deadline, I think you should read at whatever pace is good for you. I think trying to increase your reading speed takes the joy out of reading.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

What if my enjoyment is improving my speeding rather than reading itself?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
What if my enjoyment is improving my speeding rather than reading itself?
Whether or not that is the case, it still doesn't allow anyone to answer the question you originally asked. Nobody can tell you what your reading speed should be. There's no "should" - it depends on the individual.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #11
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
When you read, are you enjoying the story? If so, don't change.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
That is a perfectly normal speed to be reading period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute

Quote:
The average adult reads prose text at 250 to 300 words per minute. While proofreading materials, people are able to read at 200 wpm on paper, and 180 wpm on a monitor.
Quote:
Audiobooks are recommended to be 150–160 words per minute, which is the range that people comfortably hear and vocalize words.
Maybe your settings are throwing you off, thinking you're reading slower?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #13
FinancialWar
Banned

How does one read at 1000 wpm, that's amazin...
Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
How does one read at 1000 wpm, that's amazin...
You get a good RSVP program, that doesn't present single words but chunks of words up to XY character length, play with settings to see what length of text is still comfortable to read for you, select a nice easy text from fiction, start reading and crank it up to 11 ;-)

There are people that can read entire length of line with one look.

Very few people read fiction at that speed. You read fiction to relax, not to strain yourself to the maximum. It is very difficult to sustain such high reading speeds for long periods.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:58 AM   #15
upgraderr
upgraderr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire, Motorola XT615
What i'm caring about is not the reading speed currently. It's exactly how to improve the reading speed.
upgraderr is offline   Reply With Quote