Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
commandercup
commandercup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Blurry Vision After Reading?

I got my first Kindle (K3) a few days ago and I've been reading quite a bit on it. I noticed today that my vision gets blurry after reading for a sustained period of time (30 minutes to an hour). I don't really notice it while reading, but when I look at something else my vision is noticeably blurred. I don't have this problem with LCD screens (28" TN panel, iPhone 4's IPS panel) or with actual ink on paper.

Any ideas on why this is happening? I've been reading with the standard font at size 3 although I believe that my vision still becomes blurry with size 4. It takes a good 30 minutes to a hour to get my vision back to normal.

I'll be testing my eyes/kindle out with the sans-serif font as well as larger sizes to see if those fix it, but I wanted to see if this was a common or at least a recognized problem.
commandercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
No, I do not have that problem at all. I read on font size 3 with large line spacing. Are you riding in a vehicle or something while you're reading? Yeah, I suggest that you try out larger font sizes (heck, maybe 5)
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Be sure to stop reading and focus on distant objects very frequently.

Are your eyes getting dry? Are you blinking less often so that they dry out? Get some saline drops. Don't get Visine. You just want to wet them, not medicate them. It is so easy to get dried out in the winter.

Y,ou must stop reading and focus on distant objects ver often. It is important enough to repeat.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Be sure to stop reading and focus on distant objects very frequently.

Are your eyes getting dry? Are you blinking less often so that they dry out? Get some saline drops. Don't get Visine. You just want to wet them, not medicate them. It is so easy to get dried out in the winter.

Y,ou must stop reading and focus on distant objects ver often. It is important enough to repeat.
what Dixie said is pretty important. I think as we become comfortable with our readers, we tend to not blink enough. we also do not focus on other things often enough. if you think about it, unless you have the absolute perfect position with a pbook, quite often an adjustment of some sort is being made. as that happens, I believe a minor adjustment of the eyes occurs; what is the light outside, what is the cat doing, is that a piece of fuzz or a spider in my peripheral vision? with an ereader, as there is almost no time delay, our eyes do not shift at all. we do not even get the passing air a turning page would make.

BLINK!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandercup View Post
I got my first Kindle (K3) a few days ago and I've been reading quite a bit on it. I noticed today that my vision gets blurry after reading for a sustained period of time (30 minutes to an hour). I don't really notice it while reading, but when I look at something else my vision is noticeably blurred. I don't have this problem with LCD screens (28" TN panel, iPhone 4's IPS panel) or with actual ink on paper.
Sounds like something that has temporarily affected you. I could name a few factors like light levels, heat and stress, but there is a lot of things that can affecting eye vision.

This one time it has happened to you is not a lot of data to work with, so wait and see if it will continue to happen.

I can't really see much of a difference between a paper book and the Kindle's screen.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-07-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Coincidentally, the Today show did a segment on this just a few mins ago:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/3041426/vp/41457672/
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:

What she basically says is that we're not made for watching 2D images, which seems to be the root of many of our problems. We're just sentient animal at the end of the day in a ''fake'' environment, so to say.

Like which holds true for almost everything (probably even sex, yes, haha); Don't over do it; take breaks. Balance is the key to everything, basically.

I'm not sure why the pretty lady calls it 'computer vision syndrom' since this has been a problem ever since people, in general, started reading a lot of prints, but of course computers is harder on the eyes since a monitor is also a light source + the need for screen refeshes. Here TFT is much better than CRT since a TFT monitor doesn't need to keep refeshing the screen continueously if the picture isn't moving. Also, a TFT monitor can update the pixels individually, which I think might also be an improvement for the eyes over using CRT tech.

E-ink tech is an improvment over TFT, of course.

I wonder if it causes less of a strain on the eyes watching through 3D glasses (on TVs) ?

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
this is an age related phenomenon. I am 64 and find that after extended periods of reading either on my blackberry or even in a paper book when I look up to focus on something further away like the TV at the other side of the room things are blurry for awhile. I am an MD but not ophthalmologist and my understanding is that as you age the lens becomes stiffer and takes longer to accommodate from near to far vision and vice versa
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

Thanks for that Post! I'll have to remember that 20-20-20 rule!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
For me the kindle is the only way I can read, with out tiring my eyes out.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
For me the kindle is the only way I can read, with out tiring my eyes out.
I agree. If I do get tired, I just up the font. I can read in low light again!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
All the good advice here notwithstanding, this is unusual. You should see an optician in case it's a symptom of something worse. Eyes are too important to risk.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
All the good advice here notwithstanding, this is unusual. You should see an optician in case it's a symptom of something worse. Eyes are too important to risk.
Agreed, except I would suggest an ophthalmologist instead of an optician.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
commandercup
commandercup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

Turns out I already heard about the 20-20-20 rule (probably from Lifehacker) although I don't usually do it (probably should start).

Thanks for the reminder/link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Sounds like something that has temporarily affected you. I could name a few factors like light levels, heat and stress, but there is a lot of things that can affecting eye vision.

This one time it has happened to you is not a lot of data to work with, so wait and see if it will continue to happen.

I can't really see much of a difference between a paper book and the Kindle's screen.
I think you had it down. I didn't have much time to read today, but I read for ~1 hour and my vision was fine although I did look away and focus elsewhere a bit more than usual (which means never).

Just to clear things up, my problems were limited to the Kindle (or maybe just that day) and I have no vision problems sitting at the computer, at my desk with a book or just paper at all.

commandercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Try holding the device a little farther away from your eyes. Close focusing (e.g., when concentrating on a difficult passage) can cause eye strain. Backing up a little may ease the strain.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote