Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Seriously considering KSO 3G Now

Seems like I'm coming full circle, returning to Kindle. I had a Kindle 1 before jumping ship to Sony.

I bought the new NOOK, then sold it after getting the Kobo Touch. The Kobo's a nice device with excellent formatting options, but it has significant shortcomings including the Android app. The main issue is the bookstore is lacking in most of the non-fiction titles I seek. In fact, the only place I can get ALL the books I'm interested in, is Amazon. I know I can hunt and peck for titles at different places and sideload them, but I don't want to. I just want to browse the bookstore on my device, download a sample, and eventually click buy. So, I'm at the stage where I'm willing to get over the keyboard thing and lack of book covers on home screen and get the Kindle 3G with special offers for $139. I can live with the Kindle Android app, though I wish it were more visually appealing with more features, but at least it offers a Sepia background for reading. Would be nice to have access to a real dictionary too for a change (Oxford). Also, Whispersync is too important to keep ignoring.

I noticed there are no adjustments for margins. Are the margins generally very close to the sides? That's a positive to me; it's how I have the margin settings on my Kobo. One reason I got rid of the NOOK is because too much white space remained in the margins with the smallest setting (there are 3 choices). Are the font sizes good ones? In other words is there a big jump from one font size to another? I saw this mentioned with the current Sonys.

The new Sony is nice, but I know I'll never buy anything from their bookstore as they generally don't have what I want, including many fiction titles. So, I'm not even gonna bother going back to them at this time. Also, the Android app is sub-par.

I guess I'm just trying to talk myself into making the purchase.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
The pictures you'll find on a google image search for the user images of the kindle generally show the (default) narrowest margins on the kindle. The remaining couple of settings only make the margins wider.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Seems like I'm coming full circle, returning to Kindle. I had a Kindle 1 before jumping ship to Sony.

I bought the new NOOK, then sold it after getting the Kobo Touch. The Kobo's a nice device with excellent formatting options, but it has significant shortcomings including the Android app. The main issue is the bookstore is lacking in most of the non-fiction titles I seek. In fact, the only place I can get ALL the books I'm interested in, is Amazon. I know I can hunt and peck for titles at different places and sideload them, but I don't want to. I just want to browse the bookstore on my device, download a sample, and eventually click buy. So, I'm at the stage where I'm willing to get over the keyboard thing and lack of book covers on home screen and get the Kindle 3G with special offers for $139. I can live with the Kindle Android app, though I wish it were more visually appealing with more features, but at least it offers a Sepia background for reading. Would be nice to have access to a real dictionary too for a change (Oxford). Also, Whispersync is too important to keep ignoring.

I noticed there are no adjustments for margins. Are the margins generally very close to the sides? That's a positive to me; it's how I have the margin settings on my Kobo. One reason I got rid of the NOOK is because too much white space remained in the margins with the smallest setting (there are 3 choices). Are the font sizes good ones? In other words is there a big jump from one font size to another? I saw this mentioned with the current Sonys.

The new Sony is nice, but I know I'll never buy anything from their bookstore as they generally don't have what I want, including many fiction titles. So, I'm not even gonna bother going back to them at this time. Also, the Android app is sub-par.

I guess I'm just trying to talk myself into making the purchase.
Most Kindle books use Justification so yes they are close to the side, unless the creator of book chooses otherwise. I do run mine through Calibre to add a space after every paragraph and an indent of 1.3em of the first line of a paragraph. I use 5/5 as my margins in Calibre as well. I am picky that way.

I love my K3, the keyboard doesn't bother me but the weight does at times. I just use my 3Feet stand when I can't hold it any longer but it's a great eReader. Customer Support is top notch.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
The pictures you'll find on a google image search for the user images of the kindle generally show the (default) narrowest margins on the kindle. The remaining couple of settings only make the margins wider.
Thanks for responding.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Most Kindle books use Justification so yes they are close to the side, unless the creator of book chooses otherwise. I do run mine through Calibre to add a space after every paragraph and an indent of 1.3em of the first line of a paragraph. I use 5/5 as my margins in Calibre as well. I am picky that way.

I love my K3, the keyboard doesn't bother me but the weight does at times. I just use my 3Feet stand when I can't hold it any longer but it's a great eReader. Customer Support is top notch.
Thanks for the Calibre tips. I've never played with formatting. I may have to poke my head in and see what I should tweak. I'm fond of the space after paragraphs with indentation. Hmmm. And, yes, you're right about Customer Service!
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
it's a big jump in the font sizes, I wish it had smaller increments. It can be either too small or too big.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
it's a big jump in the font sizes, I wish it had smaller increments. It can be either too small or too big.
Oh boy. I find the new NOOK to be the same way. *sigh* Kobo really did a great thing with the use of a slider to gradually increase size.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Oh boy. I find the new NOOK to be the same way. *sigh* Kobo really did a great thing with the use of a slider to gradually increase size.

it's about the same jump in size as the nook gives you
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
it's about the same jump in size as the nook gives you
Well, that answers that question. *exhales in frustration* I'll have to make a trip to Best Buy and see.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
The Kindle KSO 3G is a great choice at $139. I initially was very against the idea of the ads, but they don't interfere with reading, and I do a lot of shopping on Amazon.

I say do it- but I'm an enabler.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You definitely need to go to Best Buy and try one out. The margins at the narrowest setting are wider than what I prefer. It's still a really pleasant reading experience though. The K3 is my outdoors / poolside ereader so I've been reading on it quite often lately since it's summertime. At least syncing with apps works as it should! Other brands should take note.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
If you had the chance to play with one, and like it, I'd say go for it. I've found it to be a great ereader. I use it more than the Nook Color for actual reading.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

You're kidding, right? What weight?? The K3 is super-thin and as light as a feather!!!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You're kidding, right? What weight?? The K3 is super-thin and as light as a feather!!!
Nope not kidding. It's 8.7 ounces and yes it's heavy for me to hold. I can only hold it with both hands for so long before my arms lock up and my hands cramp. This why I am getting a T1 it's only 6 ounces which is the same weight as my Pocket Pro.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

I checked out the Kindle at Best Buy. I'm going to pass on it. I find my Kobo more enjoyable to read on because I've added bolded/dark fonts that I prefer. The keyboard wasn't really a bother, nor the lack of touchscreen. There did remain white space in the margins at the smallest setting, but it was still a nice presentation.

I did buy a Sony 950 for $199. I've longed for a 7" eink device since I got rid of my 900, but wasn't interested at $300. It's never been the same with a 6". Though I would definitely go with a Kindle Touch for the reasons I mentioned in my initial post.

Last edited by SCION; 09-05-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Typo