Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
liveoutloud91
liveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Coby Kyros 7022
K3 (keyboard) Screen is Frozen

The top half of my K3's screen is completely unresponsive. My mom was going to turn the screen on to read her book but the image from the screensaver remained in the effected half of the screen. However the other half of the screen is still reponsive, however the frozen image overrides the text.

I've tried doing a hard reset and doing a factory reset from the software settings, both without effect. I've contacted Amazon about this before, in fact this is the FOURTH Kindle to be replaced by Amazon. Needless to say, I'm tired of dealing with customer service reps and I want to find a real solution to this problem.

The only thread I could find that was similar to this problem was here

The Kindle is on the latest firmware for that model (3.1?)

It should be noted that each Amazon rep I've spoken to has accomodated me and shipped my replacement, completely free of charge.

Last edited by liveoutloud91; 07-17-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Gramatical error
liveoutloud91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Possibly the dreaded broken screen substrate, or the screen controller being shot?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Possibly screen damage? A cracked substrate will 'freeze' part of the screen while the rest displays fine. Does it look anything like these two?

Broken screen
Dead Kindle
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I had exactly the same problem a few months ago. It was indeed a cracked substrate. Like you, Liveoutloud91, I was able to get a free-of-charge replacement (even though the device was about three years old).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Sadly, amazon only offered to sell me a replacement for half price for my damaged K3 3G. And now my DXG has a cracked screen too, but I am afraid to call them on that one because I could get a used one one for much less than their half-price cost.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "real solution to this problem" is to treat your Kindle with a little care; if you've broken four screens, it sounds as though you're really not doing so. Basic things first - what sort of case do you keep it in?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My two broken kindles were in protective cases. As far as I can tell, the K3 only fell off my desk into my lap, after which a crack started slowly growing from between the right next-page and prev-page buttons. No shock or pressure damage that I am aware of. My DXG was in my carry-on luggage on an international flight, and I also was not aware of any bumps. Perhaps vibration can cause problems?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
My DXG was in my carry-on luggage on an international flight, and I also was not aware of any bumps. Perhaps vibration can cause problems?
Perhaps not a bump or vibration, but a twisting of the unit while in the carryon. it's not all that hard to break the substrate, the glass is exceptionally thin.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
liveoutloud91
liveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Possibly screen damage? A cracked substrate will 'freeze' part of the screen while the rest displays fine. Does it look anything like these two?

Broken screen
Dead Kindle
It looks like the second one.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
liveoutloud91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "real solution to this problem" is to treat your Kindle with a little care; if you've broken four screens, it sounds as though you're really not doing so. Basic things first - what sort of case do you keep it in?
My case is the leather folio type with book light. I treat my Kindle with extreme care actually.

Last edited by liveoutloud91; 07-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
liveoutloud91

I have a hypothesis that it may have something to do with the firmware version (3.1), as this problem was nonexisistent before that update, as far as I can tell.

It should also be noted that no modding, soft or hard, has been done to the Kindle.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveoutloud91 View Post
It looks like the second one.
That second one is a classic broken screen. Although unlikely, it is possible to replace a standard image in the firmware with a hacked one that LOOKS LIKE a broken screen. That would make a nice JOKE screensaver image.

But really, the second image is a broken screen.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #13
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I have a hypothesis that it may have something to do with the firmware version (3.1), as this problem was nonexisistent before that update, as far as I can tell.

It should also be noted that no modding, soft or hard, has been done to the Kindle.
My hypothesis is that something cracked your screen sometime after the firmware updated. If the screen is cracked, then the update is almost certainly not the cause.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
liveoutloud91

I spoke with an Amazon representative today and I'm being sent a replacement. I mentioned to her that this would be the fifth replacment for the same exact issue and she replied that Amazon had recently issued a recall for that model.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I spoke with an Amazon representative today and I'm being sent a replacement. I mentioned to her that this would be the fifth replacment for the same exact issue and she replied that Amazon had recently issued a recall for that model.
A recall on the third generation Kindle? I don't believe that. It would be all over the ebook blogs. I'd say you got an Amazon rep that isn't too familiar with the Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote