Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #361
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I'm having the same problem as Diapdealer. I have the latest version, and it works fine with normal downloaded Mobi books, but Mobi Amazon books cause an error.

Last edited by kranu; 02-23-2011 at 02:46 AM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #362
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Link for Mobi2Mobi Tools windows compiled & Perl Version

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=817

I'm sorry guys, I've tried sussing out the problem with the newer AZW files from Amazon but I can't determine what the problem is exactly. I don't have a Kindle and I only purchase DRM free .mobi files so I can't really test the files you are having problems with. If you feel like doing some programming, you can grab the source code and do a debug while opening your file and see where it breaks in code. I'm guessing its something in the metadata which my parsing can't handle.
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #363
Rickwood
Rickwood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi Jad,
I could send you a couple of books, one that loads metadata properly and one that does not. They would be Purchased Kindle books so you could not read them. I am not really interested in taking DRM out, although I am opposed to it. I am just interested in purchasing books and doing what I wish with it.

Cheers,
Rick
Rickwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #364
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad
If you feel like doing some programming, you can grab the source code and do a debug while opening your file and see where it breaks in code. I'm guessing its something in the metadata which my parsing can't handle.
Well, after some quick looking around: either Amazon is not including a Database name or they've started butchering the PalmDoc Header in such a way that renders mobi2mobi unable to read the database name. So mobi2mobi pukes on the following command (with some newer Amazon purchases):
Code:
mobi2mobi.exe bookname.azw --outfile tmpBook.m2m --savecover cover.m2m --savethumb thumb.m2m
The cover and thumbnail files are properly created but the creation of the temporary outfile (needed by mobi2mobi-gui) fails with the following message: "Can't write a database with no name".

My hackish solution was to include a database name (based on the filename) to the command that mobi2mobi-gui builds in it's btnOpenFile_Click subroutine... which I changed to look like:
Code:
BuildBatch(sM2MBatchPath, ((((sMobi2MobiPath & " ") + sOpenedBook & " --databasename " + LeftOf(tbOpenedFile.Text, ".").Substring(0, 31) + " --outfile ") + sTmpBookPathBatch & " --savecover ") + sCoverImagePreviewPathBatch & " --savethumb ") + sThumbnailImagePreviewPathBatch)
I'm sure there's a more elegant solution that would detect whether a database name existed before brutally overwriting it like I'm doing, but it works for me... and Visual Basic just isn't my bag.

For those running into this issue with newer Amazon purchases... if you use the command line version of mobi2mobi to make one simple change... you can then use mobi2mobi-gui to do the rest of the work. Just give the problem book a database name (of any kind) like so:
Code:
mobi2mobi.exe originalbookname.azw --databasename some_dummy_name --outfile modifiedbookname.azw
Hope this helps in some way.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #365
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks for that DiapDealer.. I completely missed the Database Name being blank. When I get a chance I'll look into checking for a NULL entry and hopefully stop the crashing.

Cheers
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #366
Rickwood
Rickwood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Well thank you so much for that. I am now able to load and change the metadata so I can organize book titles, authors etc as I wish.

I wish I understood these things, but I guess I do not need to because there are people out there willing to expend their valuable time to help us.

Thanks so much to DiapDealer and Jad!!

Cheers, Rickwood
Rickwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #367
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FYI - be careful which metadata you change in latest Kindle ebooks

Hi,

You may want to be careful changing metadata such as the clipping limit in recent Kindle ebooks with DRM still on them.

Here is the link with the details:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...82&postcount=1
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #368
morninglory
morninglory began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3
Will mobi2mobi work with windows 7?
morninglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #369
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninglory View Post
Will mobi2mobi work with windows 7?
Yes, unless it has become to old. The easies way to use it is to download the Windows binaries. If you are familair with Perl on Windows you can try to use the source.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #370
morninglory
morninglory began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3
I have downloaded mobiperl-win-0.0.43, mobi2mobi GUI VB v9, and MS .NET Framework 3.5, I unzipped everything, when I open mobi2mobi, under the Mobi2Mobi Dir block it says "No Mobi2Mobi Here". Followed the directions step by step. What am I doing wrong?
morninglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #371
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninglory View Post
I have downloaded mobiperl-win-0.0.43, mobi2mobi GUI VB v9, and MS .NET Framework 3.5, I unzipped everything, when I open mobi2mobi, under the Mobi2Mobi Dir block it says "No Mobi2Mobi Here". Followed the directions step by step. What am I doing wrong?
I don't want to fault mobi2mobi or the GUI that was created for it. It is a great effort and works well. However, any thing you need it for can also be done with Calbre, which gives you a nice easy to use GUI to edit stuff as you want.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #372
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't want to fault mobi2mobi or the GUI that was created for it. It is a great effort and works well. However, any thing you need it for can also be done with Calbre, which gives you a nice easy to use GUI to edit stuff as you want.

BOb
I have not followed Calibre recently. So Calibre can change only the meta data and not touch the content? What is the command line for changing for example the author in the meta-data and not touching book data?

I just think it is very good if Calibre can do everything mobi2mobi can do since it is more up to date and support some of the strange features of the mobi format better.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #373
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I have not followed Calibre recently. So Calibre can change only the meta data and not touch the content? What is the command line for changing for example the author in the meta-data and not touching book data?

I just think it is very good if Calibre can do everything mobi2mobi can do since it is more up to date and support some of the strange features of the mobi format better.
Tome... I'm not familiar with using the CLI tools that come with Calibre... I use the GUI. Yes, you can change the metadata only. Since the Calibre GUI just drives the CLI tools, I expect you can do it at the CLI.

However, this person was asking about getting the m2m GUI working. I was just recommending an alternative GUI tool that would allow him to make changes to mobi metadata.

Once again, don't think I was putting down your great effort... it was the only game in town when you first donated it to the community and I used it quite a bit.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #374
bard
bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bard once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle 3
Hi All,
Nice to be on your forum.
bard
bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #375
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Tome... I'm not familiar with using the CLI tools that come with Calibre... I use the GUI. Yes, you can change the metadata only. Since the Calibre GUI just drives the CLI tools, I expect you can do it at the CLI.

However, this person was asking about getting the m2m GUI working. I was just recommending an alternative GUI tool that would allow him to make changes to mobi metadata.

Once again, don't think I was putting down your great effort... it was the only game in town when you first donated it to the community and I used it quite a bit.

BOb
I am just happy that something better exists and something that is also updated.

Tags
mobi2mobi