Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #301
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks View Post
brewjono -
How do you drag the entire left hand column to the right column? I'm maybe missing something obvious, but I can't find a way to move all at once.
thanks
Yes sorry about that. You have to take the folder one at a time but in doing so it takes all the books within the folder.

I had over 700 books across about 30 authors. Dragging 30 was better than dragging 700.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #302
NeoMorph
ethicalGamer
NeoMorph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
NeoMorph,

Have a look at this link from the Calibre forum

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=series+order

In it you will see how to use Calibre plugboards to do this for you automatically.
Dude... that totally rocks... It's EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I wonder why Amazon didn't include series sorting out of the box? At least now I won't have to spend time manually renaming a load of ebooks now. Cheers for that.
NeoMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #303
megachirops
Enthusiast
megachirops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
Adrian, I don't know if you'll see this since you don't seem to be coming around much anymore, but just in case...

I know you've been against it in the past, but figured there's no harm in asking/pleading again...

Any chance of just releasing the source for this program for others to continue and improve? It looks like you don't really have the time to devote to it anymore and it's a shame for an app with such great potential to just wither and die.
megachirops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #304
mornington
Connoisseur
mornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've put together a python script for managing collections on my Kindle using Calibre's metadata.

There's a thread here, for those who might be interested: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109983
mornington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #305
bball2
bball2 began at the beginning.

Just wondering, is there a way to select more than one book at a time, or perhaps combine collections into a new one?

For example say I want to create 3 collections: author1 (20 books), author2 (20 books), and fantasy (40 books). It's really easy to get the two author collections up, just drag the entire folder to the right, but what about the genre collection? Right now I have to drag 40 books individually into the genre collection since you can't select more than one book at a time.
bball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #306
megachirops
Enthusiast
megachirops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
One at a time with the current version. Selecting multiple things was something slated for the next version.
megachirops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #307
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I got my new Kindle for Christmas like many others. I have spent an enjoyable day moving my collection of ebooks using Calibre and this lovely little application whilst devouring half a box of chocolates.

Just wanted to add my voice to those saying thank you for the work that's gone into it. Kindle 3 (wifi) with the 3.03 firmware and it worked with no hassles, so far.

Looking forward to future updates.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #308
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Is there anyway in a future version to get the kindle files to be sorted alphabetically or have the most recently added files be at the top of the list? I find that some files are scattered throughout the list and it is difficult to find the ones I need to add to a collection. Thanks
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #309
coala
coala began at the beginning.

thx for great app
coala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #310
accwebworks
accwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-books

Device: kindle3
I have written web based utility to convert folder structure on your pc to kindle collections.
It is free to use and installation is not required.
Feature requests and comments are welcomed.

http://www.accwebworks.com/kindle.aspx
accwebworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #311
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by accwebworks View Post
I have written web based utility to convert folder structure on your pc to kindle collections.
It is free to use and installation is not required.
Feature requests and comments are welcomed.

http://www.accwebworks.com/kindle.aspx
I've looked at this but not yet tried it. I must admit, it has an appeal. Bascially, you use a directory structure on your pc to create collections. I have some observations/questions before trying it. Keeping mind that I use Calibre (as just about everyone who has a kindle does, I suspect, to manage what I put on my kindle.

Here's how I see my work flow using your program and Calibre.
1) Continue to use Calibre to convert and put books on my kindle.
2) When ready to create collections, copy the kindle data to my pc.
3) Create a directory structure per your instructions with my desired collections.
4) Run the dir command you indicate.
5) Paste data as indicated into your web page.
6) Generate json file.
7) Copy files to Kindle and restart.

So, let's say I've done this initially and am satisfied with the results. Then I use Calibre to add some books to the kindle. Would my process than be:
1) Copy just the added books to my pc and put them in the desired collections directory.
2) run the dir command
5) Paste data
6) Generate json file
7) Copy only new books to kindle and restart.

I suppose I could copy all to the kindle as was done initially. I could do that each time I want to add books to the kindle. But let's say I'm in the middle of a book, if I copied all to the kindle, would I lose my place in the book.

One final observation: your method is only workable for as long as your web page is available. Collection Manager is on my hard drive and won't go away.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #312
accwebworks
accwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-books

Both of your work flows would work. As long as you are generating collections.json out of the final book destinations in /documents folder (as they exist on kindle) you should be fine. Each sub folder under /documents will become a collection name.

As far as making Calibre work with this.
If you're using Calibre to save your books to kindle. Best way would be as you describe. Copy all books from kindle as they exists in kindle file system. Reorganize folders to make them "collection names", then run dir command on that folder structure. (Make sure all kindle folders are under "kindle" folder on your pc). This guarantees file paths will match. Then copy the generated collections.json file.
There may be a way to set up folder destinations of your books on kindle using Calibre. This would allow you to set up folders as collections while moving books to kindle in one step.

Make a back up of your existing kindle collections.json file and start with few files at first. These files should show up in your newly created collections.

As far as this being web only solution. Some may see this as an advantage over software installed on your pc. You can use this on multiple pc's without installing software on each pc. It's cross platform etc.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #313
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You may want to move questions and answers back to your specific thread. It might get confusing talking about two different systems and it's hijacking acolegate's thread.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #314
accwebworks

No problem. Anyone who has questions on web based kindle collection maker,
please go to this thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114204
Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #315
stevehaley
stevehaley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Collection manager feedback

Hi just a quick note as feedback on current version
Loaded about 300 books at once into author based collections. Once I reset the kindle these were all fine with the exception of 4 files that were'nt in the allocated collection. Couldnt see any obvious reason as to why or any commonality.
reran collection manager which clearly showed they were allocated to a collection so ended up just allocating them manually.

Multiple selection for drag and drop would be nice

thanks for the great work

stephen
stevehaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collection manager, collections, kindle, kindle 2, kindle 3, kindle dx, manager