Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Too many books for the 505 to handle?

I guess a completely trouble-free entry into the world of e-book readers was too much to expect....

Basically I've more or less filled the internal memory of my new 505 with some 350+ old classics and favourites, so I proceeded to stick about the same number of books onto the 8GB SDHC card I got at the same time. Trouble is, the reader appears unable to handle that many books. It reads the internal memory fine, but if I insert the card it reads and reads and reads and then it just reboots and the same happens again and again until the battery runs out.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, is there a fix? It's not that it's a huge problem; I just have to exercise a little more discipline than I though where book selections are concerned. It is annoying though, considering the 505 is/was advertised as being capable of handling SDHC cards up to 32GB....

I've upgraded the firmware to the latest RC version of PRS+, but without any change to the performance where this problem is concerned. The reader manages ok with a smaller collection of books loaded onto the card (I tried successfully with 75 books loaded), but that rather takes the point out of having a hefty memory card.

Anyway, if somebody out there has a solution or suggestions, I'd be very grateful indeed.

- Bel
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I didn't know it could handle above 2GB ... but anyway, there's one possible problem: formatting. Make sure that card isn't formatted FAT-16.

Between internal memory and a 2GB card (not even half full), I have over 2,000 books on my 505.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I've never used a card with my Sony. 200 + books is way more that I need to have at a time, as I use my laptop as my library. I reload every two to four weeks and it is like being in a book store as I decide what to load on to my reader.

I remember seeing something about ".noscan" in a hack to keep the Reader from always scanning the card.
Try this thread with this post for a start in finding something that may help.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC Worldwalker's right. The 505 handles SD up to 2GB (I think a few folks got 4GB cards to work). For anything larger it's a Memory Stick that's needed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks a lot for the quick responses folks.

The reader does indeed handle my 8GB SDHC card, so the problem doesn't lie there, as evidenced by the fact that it does in fact work with a small number of books loaded on the card. I also know I've read that SDHC cards up to 32GB is supported, although that's just a silly size when considering how many books it would hold. To be honest a 1GB card would have done me just as well, but I just got the 8GB one without particularly thinking about it.

That card is formatted as FAT32, so presumably that's not the problem either, but thanks for the heads up about FAT16 anyway. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Placing a .noscan file in root did nothing unfortunately, so for now at least I have just turned off card scanning. If I create a logical folder structure on the card then the browse folders function in PRS+ should let me navigate around easily enough. Not a perfect solution really, but close enough.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the input and assistance.

- Bel

PS - the 2GB limit that's mentioned presumably comes down to SD cards not supporting more than 2GB anyway. Above 2GB it's an SDHC card I believe, which currently runs up to 32GB and which the 505 *technically* supports.
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Fwiw, I have a 64Mb memory stick in one slot and a 4Gb SDHC in the other slot of my 505 - both function perfectly OK, albeit it takes a little longer to boot up after I've loaded new books. I keep purchased books in the main memory, the SDHC card is the repository for the free books that came with the reader & the memory stick takes a couple of special collections. Only downside I've noticed is a reduction in battery life if I keep both cards in permanently.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
IIRC Worldwalker's right. The 505 handles SD up to 2GB (I think a few folks got 4GB cards to work). For anything larger it's a Memory Stick that's needed.
SanDisk: 8GB MemoryStick and 8GB SD-Card, both working fine. About 300 books on the MemoryStick and about 600 books on the SD Card.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
SanDisk: 8GB MemoryStick and 8GB SD-Card, both working fine. About 300 books on the MemoryStick and about 600 books on the SD Card.
OK, I was just going by what the manual says.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
You might want to check out the new custom firmware that Kartu has done. It really helps out with the SD card stuff and add new functionality to the 505.

Look for it in the developer sub-forum at the top of the sony forum.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
When using PRS+ try the "noscan" option for external cards.
Otherwise Sony Readers are not able to handle many (100+ 200+) books on external memory. I do have the samw problem with PRS-505 and PRS-900. Sony Support told me that there is no reason to have that many books on external memory. I should copy them to internal memory. Forget about the Sony Ads that told you that you can have about 16.000 books on external memory. Well,you can copy that much onto the card but you will not be able to use them on your Sony reader. Good joke Sony
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
On a stock (that is, without PRS+) Sony PRS-505 with a 2 GB generic SD card, I currently have 1,564 ebooks on the card (1.3 GB free) and 674 ebooks in the internal memory (2 MB free).

Most are epub; a few are pdf. Not all are War & Peace, of course (though it is in there); some are short stories. But still, between internal and external memory, I've got over two thousand ebooks on there. Yes, it does take some time to scan the card when that is necessary (when it's been updated, usually) but since I don't usually update it more than once a week, that's no big deal.

Whoever at Sony told you that the PRS-505 can't handle over 200 books on external memory is an idiot.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
For what it's worth... original 505 couldn't handle SDHC cards but when the ePub upgrade came out, it also included ability to read SDHC cards. I've had 600 on internal memory and managed at about 3.5K in card but if you want a portable library then the solution is use PRS+... set cards to noscan and then pour the books in (I use Folder/file construction with each author having a folder and folders organised into sub-alphas then alpha for ease of use). Now comfortably got nearly 25K books on 16GB SDHC card (takes 6.9GB of space so far) and just add books by drag'n'drop to memory card (or use calibre)
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
If I create a logical folder structure on the card then the browse folders function in PRS+ should let me navigate around easily enough. Not a perfect solution really, but close enough.
Setting it up this way is best. It avoids the reader taking the time to cache all the metadata and it copies the file to internal memory for reading. Using Calibre it is easy to setup a consistent directory structure that suits you and will be used each time you transfer files to the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
OK, I was just going by what the manual says.
I guess the manual missed the firmware upgrade that covered this feature.

Quote:
This utility updates the Sony Reader (PRS-505) system software to version 1.1.00.18040 and provides the following benefits:
  • Support for EPUB file format
  • Support for Adobe® Digital Editions 1.5 or later and Adobe DRM-protected content
    Note: Requires installation of, and authorization with, Adobe Digital Editions 1.5 or later.
  • Enables text within PDF eBooks to be "reflowed". This will enlarge the text and improve the readability of text-based PDFs
  • Support for SDHC memory cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB
  • Delete eBooks directly on device
  • General fixes to improve stability and performance
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #14
Belfaborac
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Setting it up this way is best. It avoids the reader taking the time to cache all the metadata and it copies the file to internal memory for reading. Using Calibre it is easy to setup a consistent directory structure that suits you and will be used each time you transfer files to the device.
Yup, it really seems to be the ideal way of doing things. Taking into account the time not spent waiting for the reader to update the metadata, it's no doubt the fastest way too. I suppose perhaps a swap to a 2GB SD card would be a solution to my original query, but with "browse folders" there's really no problem any more.

Big thanks to the PRS+ author(s)!