Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Did some reading outside in the sun today - Wow!

We had a warm day in NJ and I was able to sit outside for the first time and do some reading. All I can say is WOW! The more direct sunlight I had on the screen the better the image. What a delight after reading outside on my pocket pc where I can barley make out the text (forget about wearing sunglasses ) and have to put a towel over my head to change the settings on my reader software. Perhaps I should get the protection plan becuase this baby is going to the beach a lot next summer!

Last edited by Greg G; 10-08-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
I agree that it looks great out in the sunlight. Something ironic I read on pg. 74 of the Reader's manual though:
"Do not use or store Sony Reader in a location subject [to]:
-direct sunlight
..."

I wonder if it's a heat issue thing as it is sort of silly to have a great display that works well in sunlight and not be able to use it there.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremegene
I wonder if it's a heat issue thing as it is sort of silly to have a great display that works well in sunlight and not be able to use it there.
I think that's the concern -- I seem to remember reading a discussion about e-ink being sensative to heat....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I hope that is just cya for the manual and not a real concern.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G
I hope that is just cya for the manual and not a real concern.

I meant sensative in the sense of affecting how well/quickly the e-ink responds.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
It is indeed gorgeous. I took it to work and was showing some ppl while we were all outside -- they were tilting it all different directions going, "WOW!"
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Was noticing the same thing, absolutely clear text, truly almost like print on paper - but am also surprised at how well it does in some lighting conditions I would think far less favorable. Yesterday at a coffee shop (basically low light, but actually more 'directed' light I guess), the screen was amazingly clear.
Has anyone tried theirs traveling on an airliner yet?
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote