Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
Question Question about ergonomics and readers available in UK shops

My current e-book "reader" is a quite antiquated palm. I'd like to replace it with an E ink device, so I'm hoping the regulars here might be able to offer some advice. (You can probably expect me to post a few threads about different aspects of the choice over the next couple of weeks.) I'm in the UK and the devices which currently look most promising are bebook, cybook gen 3, cool-er reader or the new bebook and cybook 5 inch devices.

However one key issue for me is ergonomics; I have quite a serious repetitive strain injury and comfort is important -- not just for computers, but for mobile phone and MP3 player purchases etc. Both the feel of a device in my hands and the comfort level associated with buttons/controls are really critical. (I find the Sony reader very uncomfortable, which is why it's not on the above list). I know that some people have complained about difficulty in pressing the cool-er’s buttons, although I have small hands so that might make a difference. And to be honest, because comfort is so specific to each person, it's hard to form an assessment of a device I've not seen.

I'd therefore be very grateful if anyone could tell me --

1. Are there high street stores in the UK where I'd be likely to be able to handle any of bebook standard or mini, cybook gen3 or opus and cooler reader? I'm assuming that Argos may have the cool-er in stock in some stores, but haven't seen the others anywhere. Independent or stand-alone shops without a web presence would be fine if they were in London, Bristol or the Southeast (although it might be a while before I could get to some of them).

2. If you can't think of anywhere in the UK, are there other European cities where I could reliably find them? I do have a trip to Berlin planned in the next few months and travel reasonably frequently, so it would be worth knowing about shops anywhere in Europe.

3. Can anybody give me any comments on how comfortable you’ve found any of the above readers to use?

4. I did manage to handle the bebook very briefly while passing through Amsterdam airport (but not turn it on) and thought it felt nice in my hands. However looking at the on-screen demonstration I see that the button to turn the page is not the big control in the bottom right corner as I had assumed, but something set halfway up the side of the device. It this customisable? If not, how convenient or comfortable has anyone found that control?

5. If I were to look at the Hanlin V3 or any of the other variations on the Bebook, are the physical layout of the controls identical, or is there some variety?

Many thanks!
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm27 View Post
3. Can anybody give me any comments on how comfortable you’ve found any of the above readers to use?

4. I did manage to handle the bebook very briefly while passing through Amsterdam airport (but not turn it on) and thought it felt nice in my hands. However looking at the on-screen demonstration I see that the button to turn the page is not the big control in the bottom right corner as I had assumed, but something set halfway up the side of the device. It this customisable? If not, how convenient or comfortable has anyone found that control?

5. If I were to look at the Hanlin V3 or any of the other variations on the Bebook, are the physical layout of the controls identical, or is there some variety?
The Bebook is a re-branded version of the Hanlin V3 - i.e., it's the same hardware and the physical layout would be the same.

There are two sets of back and forward buttons on the Hanlin V3; on the left side, halfway up, and the '9' and '0' buttons (bottom row to the right). BTW, you might be intersted to compare the price of the Bebook with the Hanlin sold at pixelar.co.uk.

I've had a Cybook gen3 and I couldn't get used to the placement of the big back and forward button. The device is light enough to hold one-handed, which I would prefer, but a centre placement would have fit my hands much better. I much prefer the side button placement of the Hanlin.

There's so much difference between how we all experience ergonomics and I think it's smart of you to try them out before buying.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook Opus is very comfortable to hold and use, and can be used equally well in either hand. It has two large page-turn buttons which (according to which way up you hold the device) can be on either the left or right side. The accelerometer flips the screen (and the function of the buttons) to match whatever orientation you hold the machine in. It's so light (150g) that you can use it one handed very comfortably indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
The Bebook is a re-branded version of the Hanlin V3 - i.e., it's the same hardware and the physical layout would be the same.

There are two sets of back and forward buttons on the Hanlin V3; on the left side, halfway up, and the '9' and '0' buttons (bottom row to the right). BTW, you might be intersted to compare the price of the Bebook with the Hanlin sold at pixelar.co.uk.
The 5" BeBook Mini is a Hanlin V5, which has the same key layout as the V3 in a smaller body. In addition to the two sets of back and forward buttons, it adds a scroll wheel on the right side. For a good set of pictures (the EZ Reader Pocket Pro is yet another name for the Hanlin V5), see More detailed pictures of Pocket PRO.

There are currently very few people with a Hanlin V5. The EZ Reader Pocket Pro is shipping August 31st in the US.

Last edited by wallcraft; 08-21-2009 at 10:28 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the comments

I think I was thinking so hard about shape that I forgot to be concerned about weight.

My palm is a lifedrive and fairly heavy at 193g and I don't have problems holding it and managing buttons one-handed, but of course it's a lot more compact than an ereader and that might make it easier to hold without dropping it. So maybe I should be valuing "light" as well as easy buttons. That could also be something in favour of a 5 inch device or at least in favour of waiting till the smaller devices are more readily available.

Then I'll just need to find a physical shop where they are on sale if I want to handle before buying.

I don't suppose the UK has any expo type events where different readers might be on display?
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...579#post557579
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Storm27
Connoisseur

Ooh. Not that I'd be able to get up to Edinburgh on the spur of the moment, but that's definitely an alternative option for getting a perswonal view of what different readers are like.