Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Delby
Delby began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Looking for an old Science Fiction book.. ..

Hello all..

I've been looking for a book for ages.. But cannot find it.. I read it a long time ago in the local public library..

It was simly called "anthology" at the time I thought this was the name but I know its not..

It was a collection of 3 books that were prob written between 1925 and 1935 near as I can remember..

The first story had an "inventor" main char with a friend side kick.. their first adventure was finding out who was robbing zepplins in transit.. using an invisible aircraft... they eventually got him and he joined their team..

another story was with the same characters and dealt with an invasion of earth by aliens.. the main thing was their spaceships windows were made from "concentrated sunlight" and they use these from some crashed ships to defend the earth from a giant spaceship that was reentering by flying into the earths orbatal rotation thereby bypassing reentry heat problems...

and the last story had the same char building a space ship and going visiting... one part i remember was I think one set of aliens had Iron bones...

if anyone has any idea of the writer or name of the books please post the answer as I've been wanting to reread these for 20 years of more....

Delby
Delby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Sounds very much like E. E. 'Doc' Smith,

I know I've read the series you refer to, as I remember the "concentrated sunlight" was called Lux and an armor was made of Relux.

I haven't found the exact books yet but I am looking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Smith

Edit; I would swear the first book was called Pirates of the Air but no luck on pinning that down yet.

Nope not Doc Smith. Still looking.

Last edited by NormHart; 07-18-2009 at 08:33 PM.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

I'm not having much luck so far so let me recommend

http://bar.baen.com/

Possibly the most difficult and obtuse forum I've ever been on in the twenty plus years I've been on the Internet.

But they do have some very geeky Science Fiction fans there.

Last edited by NormHart; 07-18-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Howdy Doody, Delby:

I believe you're talking about John W. Campbell's trilogy, The Battle of the Infinite.

The books include these titles:

1) The Black Star Passes (1930)
2) Islands Of Space (1931)
3) Invaders From The Infinite (1932)

The three titles were grouped together and published as the John W. Campbell Anthology in 1973.

These are classic space operas of the first order.

Happy reading!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Sounds very much like E. E. 'Doc' Smith,

I know I've read the series you refer to, as I remember the "concentrated sunlight" was called Lux and an armor was made of Relux.

I haven't found the exact books yet but I am looking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Smith

Edit; I would swear the first book was called Pirates of the Air but no luck on pinning that down yet.

Nope not Doc Smith. Still looking.

The terms lux and relux are found in John W. Campbell's trilogy, Battle of the Infinite Trilogy.

Please see my post above this one.

Don
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Nice DR drib. the books sound interesting, I might just get the first one or the anthology if I see it
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
I believe those three are in MRs ebooks.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
I believe those three are in MRs ebooks.

As well as Fictionwise; but here, they're free!

Don
Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
As well as Fictionwise; but here, they're free!

Don
LOL, very good Dr. Drib. In fact they are and have been on my Kindle waiting to be re-read and I did get them here.

Delby you can download all three here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...t=ebook&page=3

Thanks to MobilRead and Madam Broshkina!

Last edited by NormHart; 07-20-2009 at 03:28 PM.