Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Your refurbished e-reader experience?
Good, I'm happy 31 96.88%
Bad, I regret going this route 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
Refurbished E-reader Experience

I just ordered my dad a Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon. Money being tight for me right now I opted for a refurbished unit.
I have purchased refurbished electronics in the past and have, for the most part, been happy.

If you've purchased a refurbished e-reader, what has been your experience, good or bad?
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Refurbished Kindles are generally like new. In fact, I've bought a lot of different refurbished electronics, and they have all been like new.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The only refurbished eReader I've bought was a Sony PRS-T2. It was like new -- still basically is. I've bought a lot of refurbished electronic products -- I can't remember ever having a problem. (And refurbished products usually have a warranty -- sometimes (as in the case of the Sony T2) the exact same warranty as the new product. I think Amazon gives the same warranty for refurbished Kindles as they do for new also (I may be wrong on this) but I'm pretty sure they do.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I tend to buy refurbished when possible and have almost never had a bad experience. Like, maybe once every few years.

That being said, I haven't bought any refurbished ereaders. I have, however, bought two used ereaders -- a Kobo Wifi and a Nook Simple Touch. I got them both from Goodwill, and they both function perfectly. I've had the Nook for a month or two and don't use it much; I've had the Kobo since last summer and it got a moderate workout on a vacation.

EDIT: My bad! I got my JetBook Mini as a "refurb" -- but my impression was that the retailer hadn't done much more than an exterior cleaning, since I found an unsupported micro-SD card and adapter still in the SD card slot. I've had it more than a year and it's working fine.

Last edited by cromag; 11-20-2014 at 09:01 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As long as you get a full warranty, you'll be good to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I just purchased one of the Paperwhite 2 refurbished units and it's immaculate, as if it was new... no defects at all, no screen scratches, perfectly even screen coloring. And it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Just be aware that if you let it update to the newest firmware, you can no longer add any hacks to it in case you're interested at all in that, such as the ability to add your own fonts to it. Check the Kindle forum for more info about it.

I've also purchased a few used readers, Kobo Glo and Sony 350. Only 1 was absolutely horrid where it looked like someone used the top of the reader as a tray for keys and other heavy metal items, there were actually a few gouges in the screen, as well as scratches all over it. The others were immaculate and are still in use.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-20-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I just purchased one of the Paperwhite 2 refurbished units and it's immaculate, as if it was new... no defects at all, no screen scratches, perfectly even screen coloring. And it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Just be aware that if you let it update to the newest firmware, you can no longer add any hacks to it in case you're interested at all in that, such as the ability to add your own fonts to it. Check the Kindle forum for more info about it.
But you won't know what firmware version is on a refurbished Kindle until you get it. So (IMHO), don't buy a refurbished Kindle with the expectation of being able to jailbreak it as you might not be able to. So if you can live with a Kindle with stock firmware, buy one, but if not, don't buy one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
True, but there's a good chance it will ship with original firmware, just so the OP is aware to check into it before doing an upgrade if he's at all interested in hacking it at all. Once it's done, there's no going back to downgrade the firmware like on other readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you won't know what firmware version is on a refurbished Kindle until you get it. So (IMHO), don't buy a refurbished Kindle with the expectation of being able to jailbreak it as you might not be able to. So if you can live with a Kindle with stock firmware, buy one, but if not, don't buy one.
That argument applies equally to brand-new Kindles, what is your point?

If you are saying a generic "don't buy a KV/PW2/KT2 if you expect to jailbreak", OK and I agree.
But why pick on refurbished Kindles???
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
In a lot of cases, the only refurbished bits is the hardware inside.

I have recently started buying stuff refurbished. Haven't tried an eReader yet, but bought my iPod Touch refurbished to save $100 on the bigger storage option. They specifically tell you that the shell and screen are new, but the inside bits aren't.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
A refurbished e-reader is like a horse without a bycicle, isn't it?
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I bought a refurbished Sony T2 and it's as good as the brand new one. I was once told that refurbished units are quite often those that people buy to try out, then send back when they decide on a different device. Since I also recall advice given here to buy all of the different devices under consideration, then send back those that weren't chosen, this seems like a reasonable theory.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
I got a refurbished unit when my Sony PRS-505 broke, and you couldn't even tell it was a refurbished unit. I never had any issues with it. I haven't had a refurbished Kindle, but I'd imagine they have standards on what is acceptable as a refurb unit and that you won't have any issues with it.
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I received a refurbished kindle keyboard as a replacement when my new unit went bad less than 90 days after purchase. It worked perfectly fine until a couple of weeks ago when the WiFi failed. Finally did a factory reset, turned off wifi, and it's been working fine ever since with only sideloaded content. Bought it in 2010. So, from my single experience, refurbished is fine.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I took me a moment to remember, but yeah, my NST is a refurb.

Guess that speaks volumes for the quality of the refurb, when I barely even remember that it was bought as a refurb.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote