Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
MrKayMrKay
MrKayMrKay began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iPhone 4s, iPad
Is it possible to convert then send to device without keeping the converted book?

Hi Gang,

Tried to explain it all in the title!

I would like to add metadata as the first page of any epub file sent to my PRS-T1 without altering the file stored in my library and without keeping the altered file other than within the device.

The process I'm using right now is:
- convert from epub to epub to get the metadata page,
- send to the device,
- edit the ebook entry to revert to the original epub

This is quite tedious so I'm asking the Calibre gurus out there there is a simpler solution to do the convert on the fly ?

Thanks in advance dudes

MrKayMrKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
As I understand Calibre, when you send the books to a device, the metadata is updated on the copy sent. Without changing the one on your computer.

Also, typically, with any conversion, Calibre keeps the original version. So if you select that book on the Book Details pane, you should see as format EPUB, ORIGINAL_EPUB. Showing that there are actually two versions, the original and the converted.

But, why do you want to keep only the "original" book? Metadata changes don't change the book itself.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Pinecone - I believe the OP is talking about the "metadata jacket" functionality of calibre, where it adds an extra page to the inside of the book with a summary of certain data about the book.

@MrKayMrKay - I don't use metadata jackets myself but from what I understand of the functionality you are out of luck. The metadata jacket functionality is only available by either doing a conversion (or by using the Modify ePub plugin). Both will result in an updated format in the library, leaving it up to you to manually revert things. It is a slightly odd request to be honest, unless you were using multiple devices and had some users who liked jackets and others who didn't. I think you shall have to decide on one or the other
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote