Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #31
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Let me tell you, that's nothing compared to the awfulness of King appearing as a major character in a book.
That is exactly what made me quit reading.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I have to agree with this; I thought books 1 to 3 were really excellent, some of King's best, while the rest fell on a continuum somewhere between mediocre and terrible. You think it's bad when King appears as a character in a movie adaptation of one of his books? Let me tell you, that's nothing compared to the awfulness of King appearing as a major character in a book.

When I was younger, I read the book "The Long Walk" (published under King's pen name Richard Bachman), and thought it was really good. King has some misses, but when he hits he hits hard; the man really is a very good writer.
He also wrote "The Running Man" which was later made into a movie with Arnold Swartzenegger playing the main character and one called "Rage" (which he removed from publication) which dealt with a young teenager going beserk in his high school and shooting others. And there was one called Roadwork as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #33
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
He also wrote "The Running Man" which was later made into a movie with Arnold Swartzenegger playing the main character and one called "Rage" (which he removed from publication) which dealt with a young teenager going beserk in his high school and shooting others. And there was one called Roadwork as well.
I actually read two years ago Roadwork. It was quite peculiar.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #34
MichelleR
Just Me.
MichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
[I]
He wrote two nonfiction books about writing. On Writing is half autobiographical and half an essay on writing a book. And Danse Macrabre is a treatise about the horror genre.
I love On Writing, but Danse Macabre, although not a writing manual, does an amazing job of discussing the art of storytelling, and what makes storytellers tick. Adore that book. Cannot praise it enough. I'd actually pick it over OW, if there could only be one book -- fortunately, people can have both.
MichelleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #35
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
If you want a sampler of Stephen King's other books, I think you should check out his collections of short stories. Some of them are really quite good, especially his earlier ones. Some are horror, some are not. Some of these short stories were later developed into his full novels. Here are Amazon.com links for you to check out and read reviews.

Night Shift
Just After Sunset
Skeleton Crew
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Full Dark No Stars
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #36
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
If you want a sampler of Stephen King's other books, I think you should check out his collections of short stories. Some of them are really quite good, especially his earlier ones. Some are horror, some are not. Some of these short stories were later developed into his full novels. Here are Amazon.com links for you to check out and read reviews.

Night Shift
Just After Sunset
Skeleton Crew
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Full Dark No Stars
I agree. One of my very favourites is "Dolan’s Cadillac" which has since been made into a movie (not as good IMO). I really liked that story.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #37
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I agree. One of my very favourites is "Dolan’s Cadillac" which has since been made into a movie (not as good IMO). I really liked that story.
dolan's cadillac is an awesome story.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #38
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I'd love to read 11/22/63 but not available as translated ebook here yet. Although I saw it in print so perhaps only a matter of time. But oh my, it was the size of two bricks! But I like big books, anything under 400 pages is too short. I'm enjoying the thought that one day I will be able to read that half a ton book on my 150g Opus

Anyhow, to the point, I have my finger over "buy" button as for "Under the Dome". Worth the time and a good read?
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #39
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I'd love to read 11/22/63 but not available as translated ebook here yet. Although I saw it in print so perhaps only a matter of time. But oh my, it was the size of two bricks! But I like big books, anything under 400 pages is too short. I'm enjoying the thought that one day I will be able to read that half a ton book on my 150g Opus

Anyhow, to the point, I have my finger over "buy" button as for "Under the Dome". Worth the time and a good read?
i liked it... he started the ball roling right away rather than have the first 100 pages taken up with character development.

not his best but a good read nonetheless.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #40
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post

Yep, Under the Dome is enjoyable.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #41
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
All right, thanks. I just needed to be slightly pushed with a finger, and I bought it. Looking forward to a cozy calm evening to start reading.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #42
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Under the dome didn't catch on me.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #43
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
"Umney's last case" and "The Dr's Case" are good too. One is a Philip Marlowe like story and the other has Watson finding the solution to a crime before Holmes.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #44
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
"Rose Madder"by Stephen King, is in my opinion, one of his finest books.It

appears that even the paperback is impossible to find.

It is not a horror story as such, more of a narrative.

Cheers.

nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
"Rose Madder"by Stephen King, is in my opinion, one of his finest books.It

appears that even the paperback is impossible to find.

It is not a horror story as such, more of a narrative.

Cheers.

Kindle Format
http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Madder-eb...9989340&sr=1-1

Paperback
http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Madder-St...9989380&sr=1-1