Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
moe
moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.

Device: prs 650
Thumbs up Let the reader show any epub as Periodica (solved)

Hello,
Is it possible to make the reader show any epub as periodica?
Since I have written a script to automatically download news and copy them to a reader, I would be happy if there was a solution without manually editing Books in Calibre or something.
So how does the reader notice that the current epub is a newspaper while anotherone is not. Is there any Tag or directory where I have to copy those news or what?

Thanks,
moe

Last edited by moe; 06-06-2011 at 05:46 AM.
moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, what is "periodica"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
moe
moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.moe is less competitive than you.

*Periodicals
My reader is set to german, I forgot that that might have another name in english.
I also just solved the problem:
I forgot about the --output-profile flag in the console...
So generating a periodical with calibre works like that:
ebook-convert "Source of your news.recipe" output.epub --output-profile=sony
ebook-meta output.epub --tags="News, Name of your Newssource"

Edit:
It might also work in one step:
ebook-convert "Source of your news.recipe" output.epub --output-profile=sony --tags="News, Name of your Newssource"

(But I'm not sure about that, so i left the old solution)

Last edited by moe; 06-10-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ah, thanks .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe View Post
So generating a periodical with calibre works like that:
ebook-convert "Source of your news.recipe" output.epub --output-profile=sony
ebook-meta output.epub --tags="News, Name of your Newssource"
Super! Thank you for sharing the solution.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hi,
is there a way to convert an existing epub into a periodical for use on a Sony Reader.

Note: I have downloaded the epub from the magazine's website manually without using a recipe.

Can anyone please point me into the right direction?
Thank you,
Robert
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
moe

StanByk, I have tried that, too. I didn't find out how to do that on the console, but in Calibre, you have to give it the Tag your other newspapers have, too (In german, that tag is called "Nachrichten", but it will be different in english) and give it a tag with the name of the newspaper. I think you will also have to set the creator or author to "calibre", but I'm not sure about that..
Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thank you moe, the epub is now recognized as a periodical.
This leads straight to my next problem. On the reader the TOC doesn't show up properly. I get a link to "Front Page" instead. If I load the epub straight onto my 650 the TOC works fine, but the epub is not recognized a periodical. Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you,
Robert

EDIT: The page setup is set to Sony Reader

Last edited by StanByk; 06-10-2011 at 04:09 PM.
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote