Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you use your eDGe for?
Personal 76 72.38%
Educational Institution 41 39.05%
Business 40 38.10%
Other 13 12.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #31
vicinc
Edge User

BAN kimerajam@yahoo.com he is a forum spammer

Old 07-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #32
canezila
Edge User

Hello everyone.
I bought my edge for the ereader screen size. And now I have my sheet music collection consolidated and portable. It is just amazing.

THEN I realized that my edge can serve as my music player and playlist for work. I am an elementary music teacher and can utilize my edge for note taking in staff meetings...

FINALLY, on a personal note, I LOVE the app called RADIOTIME.

My only app request is a music notation app. Is JACK audio server is too memory intensive? Probably so. That rules out the most rockin linux music app Rosegarden... but maybe someone will port one of the other notation prgs....

Brian

Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
RomanHuff
Edge User

I use it in grad school for everything. I do EVERYTHING!!...Download biology texts, lecture PDFs, research articles, review articles, and most of all I use the e-reader side to take notes in lecture while I use the internal mic to record the lecture. What is truly beautiful about this device is the diversity. "OK you download all these files...big deal," no, I also open them and use them in endless ways on this device. Open up the PDF on the E-reader side for some casual reading, or open it up on the LCD and take notes landscape on the E-reader. Easily save slide shows as PDF, open on the E-reader and take notes directly on the machine. I literally only take this to school and have everything I could possibly need.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #34
myst
Edge User

I really do love the device. I had been looking for something like this for awhile. I am a writer and mostly I like to work on things when I am out and about. I am glad that I found it. I think more would purchase it if you could go to a store and look at it.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #35
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by myst View Post
I really do love the device. I had been looking for something like this for awhile. I am a writer and mostly I like to work on things when I am out and about. I am glad that I found it. I think more would purchase it if you could go to a store and look at it.
I'm a writer/editor, too, and I think this is a fabulous tool for the wordsmith set; use mine every day. I agree that more people would buy it if they could see it in a retail store.

Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #36
goodspeech
Edge User

I use my edge to organize my daughter's medical files, annotate journal articles related to her condition and keep notes on her condition with the journals. I can also store video data of her at various points in time so her medical team can determine progress (or, lack there of). I also use the reader frequently for pleasure reading. I particularly like the fact the with one click I can convert a web page to a stored document.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #37
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Right now, my EE is strictly for note-taking on the E-Ink side. When I bought my eDGe back in September, I was hoping to make it an all-inclusive UMPC that I could both use and learn to utilize Google Android as the preferred OS (since Android smoked Apple in the last two quarters of cell/smartphone OS users in the US); unfortunately, since none of my classes had any textbooks available in digital copy (via Amazon, Entourage, or Barnes n Noble....I'm a college student by the way), I couldn't use the eDGe for anything other than a fancy-looking notepad.

Hopefully, this new spring semester will give me more options than simply using the E-Ink side to write down notes and then turn off my eDGe until the next class instead of using it to its full potential.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #38
ripterr
Edge User

I have been lurking for a while and am so appreciative of the shared knowledge in this forum!
I requested and was given a Pocket Edge as a gift. It's proving to be a great tool for work and for entertainment.
I am in the healthcare field, and my job entails multiple roles; for each role I have weekly and monthly regional meetings. The PE has allowed me to consolidate all of my agendas and minutes and to better organize them.
While I have set up journals for each role in my job, I prefer the handwriting capabilities of MaplePaint on the tablet over the e-ink side. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a way to easily incorpoate MaplePaint's files (.svg) into .doc files (unless a converter is used....and I haven't found one for the PE).
As an alternative, I'm using Draw & Share, which has similar writing capabilities, but saves to a .png file; which can be pasted right into my agendas & minutes. Since I like lined paper, I made my own in D&S and saved it to the gallery....now can open D&S, load a line image, and write on t for my notes.
I also use PE as a reader....downloaded and installed OverDrive Media console, and I link to my local public library and download new-release novels at no cost (can "sign" them out for 21 days). I also get best sellers from the Ohio Library Consortium using the OverDrive program. I used to make a trip to the library every couple of weeks....now I just add them to my reserve list and when they are ready, I get an e-mail and link to download. Great stuff!!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #39
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningT1g3R View Post
unfortunately, since none of my classes had any textbooks available in digital copy (via Amazon, Entourage, or Barnes n Noble....I'm a college student by the way), I couldn't use the eDGe for anything other than a fancy-looking notepad.
My preferred method is now to cut up my books and scan them. Having a digital version (for personal use only) is far better than a print version. Of course the down side is that I must destroy the binding of every book. Once they are scanned in as pdf's, I make a table of contents and voila...I have a beautiful digital book.

That being said, if you look on the internet you can find downloadable pdf's (at no charge) of virtually any textbook you can imagine. There are of course, legal, ethical and moral implications for this, and I am in no way recommending this course of action, but merely informing you of the existence of these pdf's.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #40
Dr. T
Edge User

I've done some work with academic publishing companies over the past few years. Many of the large companies are moving towards having ebooks associated with a package of online content that you purchase. It might be worthwhile for any of you college students to contact the publishers directly and see if you can purchase an ebook from them. Just a thought.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #41
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Of course the down side is that I must destroy the binding of every book.
The books I really want to keep, I have spiral bound after cutting the binding off.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 AM   #42
lorenzoaguilar28
Edge User

I use it for personal reason. I love reading e-books. Compared with any other popular e-reader on the market, the Pocket eDGe is still a little chunky at a half inch thick when open, and an inch thick closed up. Still, we have to admit, it's a much more portable proposition than its predecessor. Its portable of course and you can use it wherever you are

Old 03-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #43
Leslie
Edge User

Personal. Reading, journalling (including dream journal - I copy meanings from Dreammoods.com to a word document so they are all right there together in my library), I use it for my grocery shopping lists, budget. Sometimes for browsing the web, but I don't use it often, because I would rather use my PC. I went almost 2 weeks without my PE and was completely lost (it was at the RMA center). I had to go back to PAPER grocery lists, etc. and had to read my library books on the PC. Ick.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #44
kndy53
Edge User

I take notes at seminars or shopping list, record notes verbally, comparison shopping etc but it takes a long time to boot up. Any suggestions be nice! When it wasn't in the shop it went everywhere I went.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #45
wdcorbitt
Edge User

Just got mine this past weekend soooo - mostly personal and school (wish more e-textbooks were available for seminary students), would love to use it more at work, but need Autocad WS app to be able to use it more for work...other than the few apps I need that won't install pretty happy with the Pocket eDGe.