Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
The plot deepens. The same site compares the V5 to the Hanwang N516 here.
http://www.mobread.com/product/hanwang/2008126.html
It looks like the JetBook but the technical specifications are interesting. It has a 5" screen but the resolution is still 800x600 pixels like the 6" screen we are used to. The battery is 1500 mAh 3.7V.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
NOR memory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#NOR_flash

I believe the NOR RAM is used to host the operating system. NOR ram is a type of ROMRAM, can be closest compared to FLASH memory; It can only be electrically erased (so data stays remnant in the memory,even with power down).

I believe the operating system, as well as firmware upgrades are located on a separate or uploaded to the internal disk. From there the operating system (small linux kernel) will load in the NOR.
It is true that most firmware takes 4 or 8MB of ram, but perhaps with good code, displaying PDF/JPG/ebook formats and text could be loaded in 2MB of NOR.

It could also be that the firmware (Operating system) operates straight from the internal flash memory, and that OS parameters like amount of books, booklocation, settings, etc are loaded in the NOR ram. After powerdown or standby the info stays in the NOR.
When resetting the device the NOR gets flushed, and the operating system will load from the flash file, (without the NOR data it will result in a factory default OS).

I suspect it's one of those two functions are for the NOR RAM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
BeBook website has an official picture, comparing the size of the V3 and the new V5. They say specs to follow ...

Quote:
The BeBook mini, all the features of the large version and more, but a slightly smaller screen (1" / 2,5cm smaller). Perfect for travelling, this reader fits in any pocket. Full specs and a very competitave price level will follow shortly.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #19
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Either there is some distortion in the picture or the white mini is larger than the black mini - see images below.

- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/alb...pictureid=1348

- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/alb...pictureid=1347

Edit: I never seem to be able to insert pictures correctly.

Quote:
The BeBook mini, all the features of the large version and more, but a slightly smaller screen (1" / 2,5cm smaller). Perfect for travelling, this reader fits in any pocket. Full specs and a very competitave price level will follow shortly.
Quite a broad statement!!

Last edited by slayda; 04-29-2009 at 11:36 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45809

See the above link for official photos.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Quite a broad statement!!
They must have some big ass pockets over in Europe these days...
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #22
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
They must have some big ass pockets over in Europe these days...
Or broad assed pants, at least.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #23
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
On the Chinese site, I just saw a notice saying the Hanlin V9 is to be released shortly. It will have a 9.7 inch screen (825x1200 pixels) and weigh 320g (including battery). A replacement for the Iliad?
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Or broad assed pants, at least.
You carry the reader in the inner pocket of your jacket. The problem is that the Cybook can be a tight fit. An 5" reader seems to fit these pockets much better.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #25
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My coat pocket is about 3.5" wide max.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
My coat pocket is about 3.5" wide max.
Strange since that will not fit a wallet.

You need 4.2" for a 5" reader.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #27
sirbruce
Provocateur

I said wide, not deep. It's more than big enough to hold a man's wallet (typically 3 - 3.5" when closed).
Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #28
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
From the translation that Zelda_Pinwheel posted:

"V5 Hanlin E-book reader can adjust the brightness to see pictures ... is the cheapest E-INK-screen e-book reader"

I wasn't aware of the ability to change brightness with e-ink

On a separate note, this px posted by Nate the Great shows text that goes to the right and left edges of the screen, with no margins. I've noted this before, but I'm not happy with the margins on the Kindle. With the ability to cover the entire screen with text a 5" screen will hold more text per page than my 6" Kindle.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
On a separate note, this px posted by Nate the Great shows text that goes to the right and left edges of the screen, with no margins. I've noted this before, but I'm not happy with the margins on the Kindle. With the ability to cover the entire screen with text a 5" screen will hold more text per page than my 6" Kindle.

Michael
When I format eBooks for my 505, I set it with no margins at all. Using LRF, I get 27 lines of text based on a 10 point font.

Using ePub and the default font size for the base font and Fontin as the base font type, I get 32 lines and I set it to have no margins as well.

The problem is Mobipocket Readers have an inbuilt margin and that is one thing I do not like. And the Kindle is running a Mobipocket Reader whith the mods needed to display AZW and Topaz.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:39 AM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
From the translation that Zelda_Pinwheel posted:

"V5 Hanlin E-book reader can adjust the brightness to see pictures ... is the cheapest E-INK-screen e-book reader"

I wasn't aware of the ability to change brightness with e-ink

Michael
The Hanlin V3 can adjust brightness and contrast in the image viewer today. It does not change the brightness or contrast of the display. It changes the image by move it toward one end of the spectrum or the other. On the V3 just display and image and press the OK button. You can then use the numbers to vary the brightness. If you use the arrow keys on the left edge you will switch the numbers to vary the contrast.

A 6" kindle (or all other E-Ink 6") and a 5" e-INK have exactly the same pixel count. The margins can be set to the same or different depending on the software in use. Electrically they are the same sized screens although physically they are different of course.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote