Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
File name as title name for pdf, how?

I have many pdf files, after I copy them into reader, the title has changed
(the file name is supposed the correct title name)

So, how to get reader displays pdf file name instead of weired title string it gets from pdf?
lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemov View Post
I have many pdf files, after I copy them into reader, the title has changed
(the file name is supposed the correct title name)

So, how to get reader displays pdf file name instead of weired title string it gets from pdf?
Yeah, what she said! Mine get names like ed122344555 or chapter 1. What gives?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The file names the Reader uses are from the metadata, not the document title. You can find out what that is, by opening it in Acrobat or the Reader, and going to File-->Properties; it'll list the title, author, subject and keywords (if any).

To change it, you'd need Acrobat Professional, or a program like Change PDF Metadata. (I have no idea how good that is; I use Acro Pro.) This won't work if the PDF is locked or DRM'd.

How it gets that way: the metadata is created by whatever program was used to create the PDF. Some of them assign a nearly-random number; some use the text of whatever the first "heading" style was; if they're created by batch by another program, all sorts of things can happen.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
a program like Change PDF Metadata. (I have no idea how good that is; I use Acro Pro.) This won't work if the PDF is locked or DRM'd.
I use it all the time and it works great. Of course as you say it doesn't work on DRM'd but MOST of them have the metadata entered correctly.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Probably not too helpful, but for *nix users, this is what I do:

for I in *.pdf ; do exiftool -Title=`basename $I .pdf` $I ; done

exiftool is a perl script, so it probably will work across platforms if you're savvy.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I use it all the time and it works great. Of course as you say it doesn't work on DRM'd but MOST of them have the metadata entered correctly.
Another program that do that is BeCyPDFMetaEdit :
http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaed...iption_eng.htm
it's the one I'm using ; it's a freeware.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
Another program that do that is BeCyPDFMetaEdit :
http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaed...iption_eng.htm
it's the one I'm using ; it's a freeware.
Actually, if you follow Elfwreck's link, it's the same program. Thanks for the rec!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
darkbeanies
darkbeanies began at the beginning.

Device: none
I put a script here to do this, but I, uh, think it needs some work...be back later...

Hmm...this might do it..just copy it into a text file, chmod it, throw it in a folder with some pdfs and execute! it's better than the code above because it works with filenames with spaces, & cr\#az(y) $ymbol$ and stuff...you should be safe, exiftool makes backups unless you tell it not to. Your path to exiftool may vary, just edit the line beginning "sed 's/^/"

#!/bin/bash

ls -1 *.pdf | sed 's/\(.*\)\..*/\1/' > names.txt
ls -1 *.pdf > names2.txt
cat names.txt | sed 's/^/"/' | sed 's/$/"/' > names3
cat names2.txt | sed 's/^/"/' | sed 's/$/"/' > names4
awk 'NR==FNR{a[FNR]=$0;next} {print a[FNR],$0}' names3 names4 > newnames
sed 's/^/exiftool -Title=/' newnames > script
chmod +x script
./script
rm names.txt
rm names2.txt
rm names3
rm names4
rm newnames
rm script
exiftool -delete_original *.pdf

#END

If i actually knew what i was doing, I am sure it would be more elegant. There are plenty of ludicrous commands in that script i'm sure. It works though!

Last edited by darkbeanies; 08-14-2011 at 07:28 PM.
darkbeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Holy necroposting, Batman!
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
darkbeanies

Quiet you!

I've been trying to organize my ebooks for what seems like weeks now. And I thought I was really cool with my script and I found this thread and I...

And it still is not quite right 'cause it adds .pdf at the end of the title now...

Bah. I'll fix it tomorrow. Oh wait it is tomorrow.

I have scaly skin too. Inherited from my grandad.

Last edited by darkbeanies; 08-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbeanies View Post
I have scaly skin too. Inherited from my grandad.
My sincere condolences...

Though being scaly freaks makes us both outstandingly exceptional, so it's still okay. Especially if your script works.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
darkbeanies

It doesn't. Well, it nearly does.

It works now.

Last edited by darkbeanies; 08-13-2011 at 09:09 AM.