Read the entire series from start to finish. 60 38.71%
Read until fed up, read another book, and return. 52 33.55%
Read one book from series, then another, and return. 33 21.29%
Read two or more series at once. 10 6.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #46
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I disagree about the map, Jon. I don't think it's necessary to have read any of the Witches books before reading any of the City Watch books, for example - although it is important, within the sub-series, to read them in order. Colour of Magic is not required before being able to enjoy Guards! Guards!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #47
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The other series that one should read in internal chronology order rather than publication order is the Vorkosigan series, by Lois McMaster Bujold. Even though they were written many years apart, one really should read Shards of Honor followed by Barrayar, because they make two halves of the same story.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #48
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Put me in the camp of flitting from genre to genre (mystery/Thriller, History, "Modern Lit" Sci-fi/Fantasy) and rarely if ever reading two books in the same series back to back. Have to have my variety.

I am rather anal about having to read series in the order of publication. That's why some of these Nordic thrillers sort of drive me a bit crazy since publishers often begin translating/releasing books out of order (i.e. the Harry Hole Series by Jo Nesbo - excellent series though).

Though for as little as I can sometimes remember of previous books once I get around to reading the next volume in a series, maybe I shouldn't worry so much about reading them in order
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I find this to be a problem. Some series and universes (mainly Fantasy) are becoming so big that it's hard to keep track of everything, let alone keep track of multiple series. And with regard to, for example, David Eddings, at some point it feels as if one series is the same as the last, except for the setting. Sometimes, some elements or concepts of one series actually appears in another, under a different name, but acting and being exactly the same.
Get an account with FicFact. Then you can keep track of series and you'll be notified when a new book is due out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I disagree about the map, Jon. I don't think it's necessary to have read any of the Witches books before reading any of the City Watch books, for example - although it is important, within the sub-series, to read them in order. Colour of Magic is not required before being able to enjoy Guards! Guards!
I disagree. I think you learn more about the Discworld world by starting from Colour of Magic and going forward in published order. So that by the time you get the Guards! Guards! you have a better understanding of what's going on and who is who. Terry does not tell you who is who or what's what from the previous books when you read Guards! Guards! that you are better off having read the books before.

I have to say that to recommend that map to anyone who has not read Discworld is doing that person a disservice and never mind that fact that it's confusing to a new Discworld reader. I've been reading in order and I find it works best that way. I know who is who and what's been going on. I'm not lost and I'm not being spoiled.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #51
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I think this is an issue upon which reasonable people may differ.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The other series that one should read in internal chronology order rather than publication order is the Vorkosigan series, by Lois McMaster Bujold. Even though they were written many years apart, one really should read Shards of Honor followed by Barrayar, because they make two halves of the same story.
BAEN even publishes a single volume with both Shards of Honor and Barrayar so they can be read back -to-back.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think this is an issue upon which reasonable people may differ.
But, we have someone here who has not yet read Discworld. Question is, do you suggest using the map and spoil the series or do we just say not to bother with the map? I'm for not ruining things with that map.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #54
BeccaPrice
Wizard

See, I don't consider it spoiling things.

I gave my son the map, and the Discworld books. he found that he doesn't care for the Witches books (heretic!) but loves the City Watch books, so the map allows him to read sub-series in their order without having to sludge through books for which he doesn't care.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #55
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
All of the above?

I read series in order, out of order, skipping volumes, ending when I get bored, all at once, spaced out over years, with other books between, binging and purging, etc.

Really I could have stopped that sentence at "I read.". Mostly it depends on my interest level and the availability of the books. With ebooks I'm more likely to read things in chronological order and have access to entire series, but it never bothered me in the past to skip around.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #56
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, we have someone here who has not yet read Discworld. Question is, do you suggest using the map and spoil the series or do we just say not to bother with the map? I'm for not ruining things with that map.
Once again, it's *your* opinion that using the map will spoil the series. It is *my* opinion that using the map is a fine way of dipping in and enjoying a piece of the series.

The problem arises when you think that everyone should read books the way you read books.

To paraphrase Pratchett:

Quote:
When talking about the Discworld Pratchett says it is better to read in release order to get the greatest depth from the stories, HOWEVER he says that reading them in any order still works just fine.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hey! Don't defy Jon's authority!!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #58
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I read from first to last published, straight through; the only detour would be some newly published book I've been waiting for (usually from another series!) that I absolutely must read immediately.

Even with nonseries books, if I decide to read a particular author who's been recommended, I prefer to start with that author's first book.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #59
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hey! Don't defy Jon's authority!!
Yeah, I know. But, sometimes you just gotta take a stand.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #60
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
As someone who hasn't started reading the DW series yet, I have to say that the map is helping me plan my reading order. I am glad BeccaPrice posted it, as the sheer amount of installments can be quite discouraing to someone completely new to the series.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote