Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #691
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
A vote for (b) from me, too
Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #692
humler
humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Humler, Terisa, Rachel - thanks a lot. Humler all those items are on my to do list and I'll be working on them ASAP.
Kris, thanks a lot for your great job. I've already rated and reviewed Marvin in the Spanish AppStore and spread the word in Google+.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #693
humler
humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
What about "OPDS Catalogs"?
'OPDS Catalogs' would be perfect.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #694
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I am extremely happy with the 1.2 update. Having OPDS access is brilliant, really well done. The book that I was having trouble with in 1.1 opens happily in 1.2, so not sure what was going on there! If I find another toxic book I will submit it for analysis!

Thanks Kris, this is really superb work.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #695
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
A usable iPhone app sooner would be great - I support b).
But I do hope, Kris, you get some rest in between!

There are some minor wishes for the iPad version, although it's very close to perfect for me:
The sharing feature is great, I haven't seen that anywhere else. But when you think of emailing a book, it would be good to know the file size. Maybe ist's not hard to show the size in the metadata?

And I would love to be able to adjust the top margin, too. With the icons active, it just looks too crowded for my liking. There should be some whitespace, I think, but that's a matter of personal taste, of course.
(I do love the design of the icons, by the way).

Individual shelves would have been my greatest wish - I was pleased to learn that they are already on the roadmap.

Thanks again!
And I would feel honoured to take part in the iPhone app testing - please consider that.

Last edited by Kretzer; 02-03-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #696
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
I love the app, and the new update. I was clinging to Stanza
- Mass download - selecting more than one book or even a select all option

It's on the todo list.

- A back to default option would be practical in the options, especially in cases of themes and brightness/warmth/tint.

It's already there. Look in the layouts settings page. At the bottom in red. See attached picture.

Cheers

Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1359946719.456487.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	100644  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #697
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
(b) seems preferable.
Alex, you and I seem to agree on many things. I vote for "B" too.

Cheers

Art
Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #698
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
And I would love to be able to adjust the top margin, too. With the icons active, it just looks too crowded for my liking. There should be some whitespace, I think, but that's a matter of personal taste, of course.
(I do love the design of the icons, by the way).
You know you can make the icons go away, right? I never have them displayed while reading. Tapping in the center of the screen enters Marvin's "full-screen mode", and the icons are gone.

Also, Kris mentioned he'll be redesigning the top toolbar soon, and that the top margin width will also become customizable. (Clearly a necessity especially on the iPhone's small screen.)
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #699
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
I have a problem/question and a related feature suggestion.

The Problem/Question:

I love the new OPDS feature! But I also have a problem with it. I have 2 calibre libraries, and am running a calibre-server instance for each, both of them set up with a reverse proxy via Apache on my Mac. One works just fine, but the other has a weird problem.

For some reason, the "By Newest" feed section seems like it is cached. I added a few books to that catalog, and they don't show up in that page. I can search for them, and they show up in other sections (By Series, By Author, etc.), but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the By Newest to refresh. It really seems like it is cached somehow and I can't force it to do so.

I've tried stopping/starting the calibre-server process, restarting Apache, etc., to no avail. If I set up a new favorite for the calibre-server going directly to the port, it works fine for all sections. It doesn't seem like an Apache thing, though, since the other sections refresh just fine. It really seems like I have some cached XML and I can't figure out how to remove it. I went into Settings and cleared the Safari caches, but that didn't help.

So the question is, does anyone have any ideas as to how to clear that stuck/cached item?

The Feature Suggestion is that it would be nice to have Pull-To-Refresh for these items, so that one can force a refresh of the page in question.

For the moment, I can access that library via the Web Browser. It works just fine that way, but I'd prefer the OPDS feed. I can also keep using a direct-to-the-calibre-server-port favorite, too, but I'd prefer not to have to do that if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #700
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtaylor View Post
For some reason, the "By Newest" feed section seems like it is cached.
This caching is a bug that Kris has already fixed. I think he submitted a new Marvin version to Apple yesterday, so within a few days, no more such weird things will be happening with your OPDS catalog.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #701
artbatista
Groupie

Quote:
This caching is a bug that Kris has already fixed. I think he submitted a new Marvin version to Apple yesterday, so within a few days, no more such weird things will be happening with your OPDS catalog.
Hbtaylor: I was very interested in testing the OPDS features in the Marvin beta. Somehow, I did not see this bug until the day after Apple released 1.2

Hang on there, If we go by how long it took Apple to approve 1.2, the next version should be out in the App store in 4-5 days.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #702
artbatista
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtaylor View Post
I have a problem/question and a related feature suggestion.

The Feature Suggestion is that it would be nice to have Pull-To-Refresh for these items, so that one can force a refresh of the page in question.

Thanks,
Again, Kris has already fixed the refresh bug in the next version (due anytime, going thru Apple's vetting process).

The "pull to refresh" thingy has been requested, but Kris has not made it clear if it has/will be implemented.

Since he fixed the caching bug, it is probably a moot point anyway.

Cheers

Art
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #703
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Quote:
You know you can make the icons go away, right? I never have them displayed while reading. Tapping in the center of the screen enters Marvin's "full-screen mode", and the icons are gone.
Sure, that's why I said "with the icons active". In full screen the top margin is still a little bit narrow for my liking. Pleased to hear that the adjustment will come up, it seems most of my wishes are on the map anyway ...

I agree that the margins are most important on the iPhone. On the iPad I prefer a nice layout to more words on the page. Other people's mileage will vary, of course.

Somewhat OT: I just realized there is an "Marvin " smiley on the list , but I have no clue what this is meant to be:
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #704
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Thanks everyone.

@ChristopherTD Yes please. If you find books that cause problems, send them over to Marvin's support email address so I get them fixed.

@Kretzer
* Yes, showing the file size is a brilliant idea. I noted it down.
* The way the icons are shown on top will change soon.
* I'm working on shelves and they'll be great.

@hbtaylor Caching is a problem in 1.2. I've already submitted the next update to Apple. You should have it soon. I've also added a couple of cool new features. Check them out here: http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #705
KiLeAk
KiLeAk began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Love Marvin.....such a beautiful interface! But one request to make it more "beautifuler" ;-)

Honour the book cover art. Though Calibre may have the correct (or any!) cover art (custom, etc), Marvin wants to display the art that is embedded in the file, sometimes that means no art. That's plain ugly ;-)

PDF support would be nice, I have a lot of text books in PDF, but that's less important right now!

Keep up the damn fine work!
Closed Thread