Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you shop "black Friday"?
I"m out there.....full steam ahead and don't get in my way! 4 7.84%
I'll be there, but just to enjoy the crowds and cruise the malls 4 7.84%
You couldn't drag me out of the house that weekend. 43 84.31%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Do you shop black Friday?

I just learned many of my local malls are opening at midnight Thursday. Thats carrying it a bit far for me.

Personally, you won't be able to drag me out of my house until Monday. People are crazy out there!! Most of my shopping is done online....

However, different strokes.......

So..........are you out there looking for deals?

wait for the poll. I just realized..........this is probably a US thing. Or is it done across the pond also?

And do you wonder why its called "Black Friday?" Because, traditionally, this is the first day many stores were actually "in the black" ink. Until then........they were running in the red. Thats how much business used to be done on this day.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Unless there's a can't-live-without item locally, you couldn't drag me out of the house with a team of Percherons. And since there are very few can't-live-without items on my list, it's looking like I'll be sleeping late on Black Friday... *grin*.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Unless there's a can't-live-without item locally, you couldn't drag me out of the house with a team of Percherons. And since there are very few can't-live-without items on my list, it's looking like I'll be sleeping late on Black Friday... *grin*.
bbut...but you didn't vote?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Odd, I could have sworn I did.... Ok, I voted again just to make sure.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Hate Black Friday. Hate Xmas shopping. Hate crowds. Hate no parking.

I'm working tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and every day up to 11 Dec, at which time I take three days off to go see the Nutcracker at the Joffrey Ballet, which, IMHO is the only really good thing about the season.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I stay away from the malls and don't do any shopping on the weekends between now and Christmas.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post

I'm working tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and every day up to 11 Dec, at which time I take three days off to go see the Nutcracker at the Joffrey Ballet, which, IMHO is the only really good thing about the season.
And bah humbug to you too!!!

Interesting so far no one likes to shop that weekend.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I tried it a couple of times about fifteen years ago, and both times the experiences were not only unpleasant, but the stores were sold out of what I wanted too. So I won't be doing that again.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post

it takes you three says to see the Nutcracker!? boy that's half the ring cycle! you should come to Seattle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
And bah humbug to you too!!!

Interesting so far no one likes to shop that weekend.
I am not particularly keen on shopping under pressure. I don't like to shop with other people for hte most part and hate crowds! I'll be doing big time chores around here as I will have some help. have some fences to fix and gates to install, there's a fair amount I want to have completed before my surgery. I'm sure I'll be going to the hardware store and feed store, but those don't tend to be big black friday destinations. I voted no anyway
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it takes you three says to see the Nutcracker!? boy that's half the ring cycle! you should come to Seattle!

I am not particularly keen on shopping under pressure. I don't like to shop with other people for hte most part and hate crowds! I'll be doing big time chores around here as I will have some help. have some fences to fix and gates to install, there's a fair amount I want to have completed before my surgery. I'm sure I'll be going to the hardware store and feed store, but those don't tend to be big black friday destinations. I voted no anyway
We make a weekend of the Joffrey four times a year. Ride Amtrak to Chicago on Friday, go to Marshall Field for "The Sandwich" on Saturday afternoon, Eat at one our favorite resaturants Saturday night, then go to the ballet, ride Amtrak back Sunday afternoon.

Our kids, love Black Friday. They plot everything out like they're planning the Normandy invasion and spend the day in shoppers' bliss.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
*shudder*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
pshrynk

No kidding.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
We don't have this in the UK.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
We don't have this in the UK.
Of course you don't.

You don't celebrate Thanksgiving....

What was i thinking???
Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I go out on Black Friday every year, but I avoid like the plague any store that has limited quantity "doorbuster" sale items. We start out at Fred Meyer, which offers complimentary coffee, juice, and doughnut holes as you enter the store and has basically the same ad every year - lots of "basics" at half price (socks, towels, candles, etc) but no huge deals. From there the plan varies from year to year, but always includes breakfast out and I'm generally home by early-mid afternoon (and ready for a nap!).
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote