Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
duskdawns
Enthusiast
duskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Panic Attack free from St. Martin's Press

Through May 26, St. Martin's Press is giving away a free e-galley of Panic Attack by Jason Starr.

You will need to register your name, e-mail and mailing address, after which you will receive a download link in your e-mail.

The PDF opens fine using IE explorer, but not with other browsers.

The direct link to register for the promotion is here:

http://us.macmillan.com/smp/promo/panicattack

For book synopsis and more info, click the link here for St. Martin's Press:

http://us.macmillan.com/panicattack

The author's website:

http://www.jasonstarr.com/

Found this in the Amazon forums, but it doesn't seem to have been posted here in MobileRead.
duskdawns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
I had gotten an email about this from st martin's press earlier this month.... I downloaded it and then attempted to copy the pdf over to mobipocket so I could read it on my phone ...it turns out you cannot copy it... so as far as I am concerned it was worthless if st martins wants to encourage new readers by free distribution they need to think of the formats that people want to read in
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried it as well. I wasn't impressed that they required a street address for me, so I made one up. Got the email and downloaded the book only to discover that A) it's a PDF and B) it's encrypted, so I can't copy or export to any other file type. This is completely useless to me.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by duskdawns;
Through May 26, St. Martin's Press is giving away a free e-galley of Panic Attack by Jason Starr.
What's an e-galley just a few chapters or the whole book?
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
What's an e-galley just a few chapters or the whole book?
A galley, or galley proof, is an "unfinished" preview book, but not as far as contents goes. So the story is all there, but there are bound to be errors in the grammar, spelling, formatting, and whatever other processing stages are handled after the author hands in his work. There might also be some changes in the actual story compared to the final book, depending on how the editing process goes.

An e-galley should then be the same, in an electronic version. I know that Baen does those, at least.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I downloaded the PDF and converted it to Mobipocket .prc with the Mobipocket Creator. I had to change the <br> tags to <p> tags to get proper paragraphs. There are a few issues I can see right away (some hard returns in the middle of paragraphs) but overall it seems to convert quite nicely. You can use the html produced by Mobipocket Creator to convert to other formats if you wish.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsussman View Post
I had gotten an email about this from st martin's press earlier this month.... I downloaded it and then attempted to copy the pdf over to mobipocket so I could read it on my phone ...it turns out you cannot copy it... so as far as I am concerned it was worthless if st martins wants to encourage new readers by free distribution they need to think of the formats that people want to read in
Try using MobiCreator instead of Calibre. Calibre has issues with some books, even if just print is disabled, that MobiCreator will convert without a hiccup.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland;
Try using MobiCreator instead of Calibre. Calibre has issues with some books, even if just print is disabled, that MobiCreator will convert without a hiccup.
Thanks for that Moe & Koland

MobiCreator » Html » Calibre » Lrf for my Sony worked a treat. Now I can read it in comfort instead of getting eye strain reading on my laptop.

I would have not bothered to read it otherwise.

Last edited by columbus; 05-19-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
MobiCreator » Html » Calibre » Lrf for my Sony worked a treat.
Bah, that's too much work for an author and book that I'm not familiar with. I'm convinced that if they actually wanted anyone to read the book they would have made it in a more ereader-friendly format.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #10
columbus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess;
Bah, that's too much work for an author and book that I'm not familiar with. I'm convinced that if they actually wanted anyone to read the book they would have made it in a more ereader-friendly format.
It took all of 2 minutes, maybe less, so for me it was worth it.

But if publishers want people to read the freebee tasters they must think more about formats.

OK if you don't have an ereader PDF is fine for on screen reading but not if you value your eyes.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Thanks for that Moe & Koland

MobiCreator » Html » Calibre » Lrf for my Sony worked a treat.
Do you find Calibre does a better job of HTML to final format? I have some I want to convert to mobi and can either use mobicreator (they are already HTML, mostly, with a few in PDF) or Calibre for the final step. I do know that Calibre will let me add some extra metadata that MobiCreator will not. In the past, I've used it as an extra step to create a mobi formatted file from the PRC created by MobiCreator (since it let me create a TOC easily and I was used to using it).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
columbus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland;
Do you find Calibre does a better job of HTML to final format? I have some I want to convert to mobi and can either use mobicreator (they are already HTML, mostly, with a few in PDF) or Calibre for the final step. I do know that Calibre will let me add some extra metadata that MobiCreator will not. In the past, I've used it as an extra step to create a mobi formatted file from the PRC created by MobiCreator (since it let me create a TOC easily and I was used to using it).
I'm not an expert at ebook creation, but apart from a couple of cases Calibre has done all I expected with little hassle for conversions for the Sony. For Mobi I don't know.

I think somebody else more qualified will answer your question.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have had better luck with MobiCreator for Pdf-Mobi. Took a little over 1 minute, because I had to add author.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by duskdawns View Post
Panic Attack free from St. Martin's Press
I thought this was going to turn out to be a commentary on St. Martin's uneven ebook pricing. You know: "I saw the price and had a panic attack for free!"

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote