Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Quick First impression

Well, I have charged it & switched it on and I have a MAC. I erad the manual yesterday and was a trifle concerned.

Anyway, in the MAC does eventually see it as a usb device, but it is probably quicker to remove the SD card & use a reader.

I then (in spite of the manual) just dragged some folders full of pdf files ont the card, re-inserted & found the files.

Now it has taken a while to get this far (2 hours!) and digging the camera out to photograph some results is also a challenge as the flash does get in the way. (I hate flash).

Overall:
The screen is lovely
It takes about 55 - 60s to switch on I did think it would be quicker.
Whenever you do anything it flashes & this can be on numerous occasions. Quite why it must flash so often I have no idea. You cannot appear to stop this, unlike the cybook which you can minimise the flashing.

The capacitive keys are frustrating as they are a bit too sensitive, but disabling them is almost as frustrating.

The stylus is okay, though for the best part of £470 you would think a better quality one would be provided.

The menu structure is not the easiest to get around, familiarity with the numerous key combinations may eventually help here though. Why you have to go through the menus to rotate & zoom & pan etc rather than create a few buttons or stylus press areas on the display is beyond me.

Reading.
For pdfs it is brilliant. Even A3 are readable without zoom, and A4 is more than adequate. The photo's do not really do it justice as some of the pdf files are scans.

text and html books are fine, I haven't yet registered the device to see my Mobi books, but I would expect a nice display. However for just holiday book reading, get a Cybook (or equiv)

I hope to download a newspaper and see what that is like later.

When in its case, it does get heavy and so it is designed for use on desk or table in my opninon.

The writing side is delayed & so while you can write, you have to assume it will catch up & it does.

Anyway, familiarity should improve some things

For pdf's though it is definitely the one to go for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071174.jpg
Views:	1335
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	16883   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071176.jpg
Views:	1203
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	16884   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071181.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	16885   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071183.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	16886   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071188.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	16887  
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
bazzz
Enthusiast
bazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad Pro
Quote:
Cool That's the sentence I've been waiting for.

Thank you!
bazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Boreras
Connoisseur
Boreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: TBA
Congratulations on being the first posting-receiver.

Those landscapes photos look really amazing. Shame about you saying that a CyBook would be better for 'just' holiday reading, but supposing I mix up both tech. books with normal paperbacks at home and on holiday, I'm guessing I should be fine.

I'm begging for your comment concerning the difference in render time with the CyBook.
Boreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreras View Post
Shame about you saying that a CyBook would be better for 'just' holiday reading, but supposing I mix up both tech. books with normal paperbacks at home and on holiday, I'm guessing I should be fine.
I assume by "holiday" reading he means recreational/fiction type reading.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The DR1000 is quicker in rendering the pdf's than the cybook. I have just stuck on a mobi book now & it is very easy to read with a big font, no glasses required here :-)

But it is a bit heavy just for reading books. The cybook (or I dare say others ) are better suited to that task IMHO. The Cybook was okay reading pdfs, a bit slow and you had to pan & zoom a lot which was frustrating. Not with this though.

All the photos are of pdfs bar the last which was an attempt to write :-)
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Is that the "Flip-Over" cover? Can it be folded back to be out of the way when holding the device?

I always use HarryT's Dickens, Charles: A Tale of Two Cities to test MOBI (no PID required). Screenshots from the iLiad here. Can the DR1000S switch fonts for MOBI ebooks, and how does it compare to the Cybook (which has a better MOBI reader implementation than the iLiad at least)?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic

Right, just timed a couple of graphic rich pdfs.
In both DR1000 & Cybook the first time you open the pdf it takes ages. 60s+ No real difference, you just get bored rigid.
The next time you open however, the DR1000 takes 2s, the cybook 60s
Another one, 2 - 5s on the DR1000 15s on Cybook.

Clearly the processing engine & processor are making a difference here.
Howard
Old 10-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Boreras
Connoisseur
Boreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: TBA
Yeah, thanks BOb, that's what he meant; a misunderstanding on my part.

Hmm, that's great news, pthwaite! I've been really eager to hear that, and I'll probably will go and buy it tomorrow. Depends on whether the shop next to my university will have a demo available. Thanks again!

Last edited by Boreras; 10-07-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Boreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
pthwaite
Fanatic

The DR1000 can switch font size, but not font as far as I can tell.
The cover is the flip-over & has been flipped since I started playing :-)

The DR1000 is not the easiest interface to get used to, or at least not after cybook, but it is coming
Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post

The screen is lovely
Reading. For pdfs it is brilliant.
YES!! Thank you for taking the time to share your first impressions. It's going to be a long week...waiting...waiting.

Thanks again!
CJP
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Can you do a video which shows pdf browsing and stuff like this?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic

Video, hmm, not that easy I'm afraid. I have the technology, but not at present the time I'm afraid. If nobody else does one in te next day or 2 I may have time but it would be after the weekend, sorry :-(
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
pthwaite
Fanatic

Well okay, here is a short clip. I hope it works as I'm on a MAC & never tried this before. I'm sorry for the out of focus, it was hand held & I couldn't see clearly the viewfinder & operate the DR1000, tripod with the archery gear. But you get the idea and now, off to bed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DR1000s.avi.zip (10.45 MB, 785 views)
Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #14
veeraganesh
Enthusiast
veeraganesh began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s
Hi I am wondering if you ordered through UK distributor? If so when and how long it took for the delivery? I did contact the UK guys and they say no stock in UK at the moment.
veeraganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
I hope it works as I'm on a MAC & never tried this before.
Works great. Nice. I want one. Just to expensive right now. Think I'll wait to see what the PLR is priced at too.... I feel the plastic screen will be much more durable.

BOb

(Viewing .avi on Mac I used VLC viewer... it shows everything with no codec downloads needed yet.)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote