Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #136
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Yeah, very disturbing that they can do that!!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #137
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I never thought I'd say this without a loaded gun to my head, but I prefer my Nook Glowlight to my Kindle Paperwhite. My Nook has always had an evenly lit screen and looks good at every light level in any room lighting. My Paperwhite...not so much. In a dark room the blobs of color pretty much go away only at the maximum light setting, which is the exact opposite of what Amazon recommends. I'm still debating sending it back and just waiting to see if next year's Kindle has the blobs worked out.
I agree 100%. I think the Nook Glowlight is a fine little device. I'm so disappointed that the PWs aren't living up to expectations.

I canceled two PW orders. I'm sticking with the KF HD and my K4B for now.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #138
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Where is this, via Amazon or via M-Edge directly?
M-Edge direct.........got to HK in 3 days too
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #139
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
M-Edge direct.........got to HK in 3 days too
Thank you. Keeping this as a backup plan in case my Marware + TravelFlex proves to be too unwieldy. (Should be here tomorrow.)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #140
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iPad Mini announcement event is official for 10/23. Well, probably the iPad mini.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/16/...3-media-event/
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #141
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
iPad Mini announcement event is official for 10/23. Well, probably the iPad mini.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/16/...3-media-event/
Interesting that they are going the book route with this one:
Quote:
The Next Web is reporting that the rumored iPad Mini event scheduled for October 23rd will have a heavy focus on iBooks. The iPad Mini will be aimed at smaller tablets like the Kindle Fire, that are generally used to consume content including books and movies.
So, they will sell the iPad as a productivity device vs. the iPad mini as a media consumption device. Maybe they'll call it the iReader or iPod XL.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #142
Trauma Doll
Addict

Got my new Marware case and TravelFlex light for my KK. I won't lie, this setup feels very bulky, but the screen looks so much better than my PWs. Sigh. Maybe the Kobo Glo will come through.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #143
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Yeah, very disturbing that they can do that!!!
I've had things not show up in Cloud on my Fire, but they are still in my library. I just go to Manage Your Kindle page and send from there. I've never seen anything disappear from my library, free or otherwise. And apart from Fire (and maybe the Android app) I've not seen issues or had anything actually disappear from the cloud storage.

Kindle Keyboard used to have a limit (~3000) on number of titles that could be shown in Archived Items. That's been fixed, apparently.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #144
Trauma Doll
Addict

iPad Mini liveblog

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/a...mini-liveblog/
Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #145
jswinden
Nameless Being

The iPad mini has 7.9" screen at 1024*768 pixels = 162 ppi. That's not particularly impressive for reading. It looks nice, but screen wise it is a year behind the Fire HD and similar 7" tablets with their 216 ppi resolution. It is certainly a good choice for those wanting a smaller iPad for web surfing, etc. I don't think it will be very good as an eBook reader though. I suspect the iPad mini 2 will have retina and then it will be a terrific reader.

I just ordered the Fire HD as my night reader. The iPad mini just doesn't do it for me, especially at $329. And the Nexus 7 just doesn't have the Kindle reader app's bells and whistles that come with the Fire HD. Since the Fire HD will only be used for reading, it seems like my best option for now.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-23-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #146
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The iPad mini has 7.9" screen at 1024*768 pixels = 162 ppi. That's not particularly impressive for reading. It looks nice, but screen wise it is a year behind the Fire HD and similar 7" tablets with their 215 ppi resolution. It is certainly a good choice for those wanting a smaller iPad for web surfing, etc. I don't think it will be very good as an eBook reader though. I suspect the iPad mini 2 will have retina and then it will be a terrific reader.

I just ordered the Fire HD as my night reader. The iPad mini just doesn't do it for me, especially at $329. And the Nexus 7 just doesn't have the Kindle reader app's bells and whistles that come with the Fire HD. Since the Fire HD will only be used for reading, it seems like my best option for now.
Let me know how you like it. I plan to get mine around my Birthday. I had originally plan to get it in a couple weeks but thanks to my doctors I now have to use that money as copay for a procedure instead.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #147
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Let me know how you like it. I plan to get mine around my Birthday. I had originally plan to get it in a couple weeks but thanks to my doctors I now have to use that money as copay for a procedure instead.
Will do! I should get it Thursday.

I know what you mean by the copay. The older I get the more I feel like an old worn out car that spends more time in the mechanic shop than in my garage!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #148
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Nexus 7 just doesn't have the Kindle reader app's bells and whistles
Can you explain those? I used original Kindle Fire, I use Nexus 7 now and can't see any major difference in Kindle app?
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #149
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by astmario View Post
Can you explain those? I used original Kindle Fire, I use Nexus 7 now and can't see any major difference in Kindle app?
  • X-Ray for Books
  • Immersion Reading
  • Whispersync for Voice
  • Choice of fonts

To name a few...
Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #150
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Good luck with the Fire HD, Jack. Let us know what you think. I love my Kindle Fire and the HD Fire looks super nice from what I have seen. I think you'll really like it for night reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I had originally plan to get it in a couple weeks but thanks to my doctors I now have to use that money as copay for a procedure instead.
Aw that's too bad. Hopefully you can get it soon though.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote