Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2007, 03:34 AM   #1
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

Screen upped and died :( - What can I do?

I was in town yesterday shopping, and was carrying around my reader in my jacket. I didn't have a chance to read it while out, but when I got home, I discovered the reader has a developed a long white streak about an inch wide down the left side of the screen, and a smaller one close to the top going horizontally. The streak is a lighter colour than the screen usually is, and doesn't respond with the screen refreshes.

I sat changing pages last night to see if it would fade, but it seems to be slightly worse now.

I bought the Reader approx 1 year ago through ebay, as I'm in the UK. Any idea what my options would be now? I'm going abroad permanently in a couple of months, and I don't think I could manage without a reader.

Thanks in advance, Donovan
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Did you get a receipt showing a date? if its less than a year you could ask if someone in the US would return it for you and post it to them?

Or try phoning Sony US and say you bought it whilst on holiday and you are prepared to pay shipping and see what they will offer.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
donovanh
Enthusiast

No luck with customer service. They suggested a hard reset, which I have tried, but it has not helped. On top of that, they told me that while I could send it back to them, they cannot ship the replacement outside the USA.

Guess I'll be more hesitant to buy Sony in future!

How's the Cybook Gen3? Have they sorted out the software issues yet? I may give that one a go
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
An obvious question but one that crops up frequently on this board as the culprit of problems like this is.. Have you plugged it into the wall and charged it overnight?
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
donovanh
Enthusiast

I've tried charging it for about 6 hours, on the AC.. no difference.

A couple of days ago, I was reading something about heat helping get rid of lines, so I put it into the bed while the electric blanket was on. Unfortunately when I checked it.. it had got mildly warm, but the screen issue was about 3 times worse.

Here are some photos of the current state.

Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovanh View Post
How's the Cybook Gen3? Have they sorted out the software issues yet? I may give that one a go
There are no major software issues that I'm aware of, other than a trivial, and easily worked-around problem that can crop up while adding fonts to the machine (something you can't do at all on the Sony, of course ). For a "v1.0", the Gen3 is a damned good machine. A software update for it is due mid-December; how nice to see a company which is responsive to customer feedback .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Fzzt
Enthusiast
Fzzt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
From that picture it looks like a crack in the e-ink substrate layer (assuming you can't feel a crack on the surface).
Reminds me of a few PDA's/laptops after being dropped.
Fzzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I have the problem with mine. I just got mine on the 21st of November and only with about a week of use I have streaks.

Tried charging it over night but still the same.

I've never took the reader outside of the house and while I was switching pages on Friday night, the reader froze. When I reset, this is what happened...

Sorry for the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00423.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	7551   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00424.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	7552   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00425.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	7553  
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #9
Speccy
Speccy began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnews View Post
I have the problem with mine. I just got mine on the 21st of November and only with about a week of use I have streaks.

Tried charging it over night but still the same.

I've never took the reader outside of the house and while I was switching pages on Friday night, the reader froze. When I reset, this is what happened...

Sorry for the quality.

Seems more like bad contacts if you didn't throw or knock it
Speccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
bluesnews - Did you buy it from a local store? If so, you should be able to exchange it without any problem; it's clearly faulty.

donovanh - Sorry to say that I agree with the earlier poster in that yours looks like a fracture in the glass substrate of the screen. A terminal case, I fear. You say that you're in the UK, though; does your house insurance policy cover accidental damage? Most of them do. Getting the cost of the Reader back in return for paying a £50 excess on your policy is probably well worth doing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:27 AM   #11
donovanh
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies

Harry.. I think the idea of the house insurance could be a winner! I'll look into that and see what the options are!

I was talking to my girlfriend, and we deduced that there was an occasion a few weeks ago when the reader was knocked off a bedside table onto the floor. I guess that could have been the culprit.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #12
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
DonovanH im in the Uk and my house insurance covers accidental damage of personal items The vas majority do! i dropped a watch and it broke, it was a £200 item and paid £50 excess the only thing was they dont normally give you cash! but vouchers that can be spent at electronics suppliers such as comet currys etc, make sure you highlight it was bought in the US and is only available there.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #13
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I bought it through JR.com shipped it to Korea. Just called them and they will exchange it but maybe not the shipping depending on how much it costs.

But this means that I won't have a new toy for Christmas.
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #14
donovanh
Enthusiast

Quick question... I'm in touch with the original purchaser who bought it from a Borders store. Do Borders stores replace Readers if they fail within the year? Or is Sony my only option?