Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
'Best' Large screen reader?

Ok, first of all, the large screen reader need to have a minimum of 1024x768 pixels, and needs to have PDF playback ability (CBR/CBZ is a welcome bonus but not a must).

I'm thinking of 10" devices or larger!
Price is also important! I prefer readers below the $200 mark, but seeing that they will be more expensive, $375 is about the max I'd be willing to pay for such a device!

I also put battery life at very high esteem! More than 20 hours preferred!
7000 page turns is an average of 1-2 weeks, which is about average for e-ink.

I put little emphasis on if it is e-ink or LCD, because reflective LCD screens no longer are looking like calculators/PDA's of old!
Today they are more looking like the first e-ink screens, which has a nice contrast ratio for reading in everything but the darkest environments!

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

under chapter "Document Viewers" shows a bunch of large size devices being released hopefully before christmas!

Which do you think will be best suited?

I dislike large frames, and dual screen devices!

I like Asus' design, as well as Iliad's design!
But if it wasn't for the bad battery life of the Iliad, and price, I would have chosen that one.
Asus seems a great device!
The Onyx Boox also seems a great device!

Wifi is also a nice feat, and an SD card is a MUST!

It'd be awesome if it supported Epub, mobi, txt, and HTML/compressedHTML, but those file formats I can read on my current ebook reader!

It would need a CPU of at least 400mHz in order not to have a sluggish page turn!

Audio is a bonus, not a necessity.

Color is a bonus, not a necessity.

3G is a bonus, not a necessity. And in fact, if 3G uses battery even when it's turned off, I prefer without 3G!

What would you buy?

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-11-2011 at 02:50 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For eInk devices, you only have three choices: the Kindle DX, the Onyx M9x range, and the Pocketbook 9xx range.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What about reflective non-eink LCD devices?

I'm not into regular LCD, as the backlight uses too much energy from the battery.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AFAIK (and please correct me if I'm wrong) there are no large-screen reflective LCD devices currently available.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
What about reflective non-eink LCD devices?

I'm not into regular LCD, as the backlight uses too much energy from the battery.
A lot of users say this is unfortunate, but that technology has disappeared from the market.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Basically you are looking for a device that does not exist.
Look at some of the Iliad models - they are not in production anymore, but they are the only ones with a screen above 10".
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac

The iliads also had touch screen (with pen). I did not like that because it made the screen look worse, and used up too much battery.

What about PixelQi? Aren't they selling their screens somewhere?

I was thinking of the Kindle DX, only unfortunately it does not have an SD cardslot, which is pretty necessary once you start dealing with PDF files!

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-11-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For eInk devices, you only have three choices: the Kindle DX, the Onyx M9x range, and the Pocketbook 9xx range.
Well, considering that there are some devices to be released soon, I presume Asus will have their eee-reader DR900 in the list too.

I said 1024x768 is the absolute minimum for reading most pdf files, but in all honesty, that resolution is cutting it a bit short! It is possible to read most pdf's, but not really comfortable.
Especially when they have large white borders or frames on their pages!

I'm a little bit afraid of the reliability of most readers. It appears to me that the Kindle is about the only device without too many problems; all the others seem to have bugs, or even some serious issues!

Am I correct in presuming this?

Besides, I can't find a website to buy the Asus DR900 for the US. The european versions are a bit too expensive (like $400+)

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-11-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The iliads also had touch screen (with pen). I did not like that because it made the screen look worse, and used up too much battery.
Can you explain what you mean when you say "it made the screen look worse"? In what way does a pen make the screen look worse?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac

That it used a soft touch screen? (added a soft plastic layer on top of the screen).

I revisited most products, and definitely don't like the Kindle keyboard...

So now it's either Asus' DR900 (expensive), PocketBook Pro (any of the 900 series, though they are pretty expensive), or the boox M90 series (which are the best looking devices, but I read a lot of bugs and instability, and are overpriced!)
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
That it used a soft touch screen? (added a soft plastic layer on top of the screen).
No. The iRex devices use a Wacom touch screen. This is a layer of electronics that lies behind the eInk screen and has no impact whatsoever on image quality.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Either way, it does consume much battery.

I'm tempted to buy one of the two following devices:
- PocketBook 902
- Onyx Boox M90

The 2 reasons why I would prefer the pocketbook, is because the Boox M90 is higher priced, and is not their newest model. I read the M91 had a lot of issues, and I don't know if the M90 has the same...
Old 12-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Either way, it does consume much battery.
No, the Wacom screen uses very little power. iRex devices have a rather poor battery life, but that has nothing to do with the touch screen. The reason for the poor battery life is that iRex never properly implemented a sleep mode for the device. I have an iRex DR1000S myself.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
What about PixelQi? Aren't they selling their screens somewhere?
You can get a Notion Ink Adam with a PixelQi screen. Reviews have been iffy -- they slapped high gloss reflective glass on top. It is also out of your price range.

Last edited by artifact; 12-11-2011 at 04:49 PM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I'm tempted to buy one of the two following devices:
- PocketBook 902
- Onyx Boox M90
Stay away from the M90. Look around the Onyx forum here, it's got nothing but problems. I'm ready to drop-kick mine.

The M92 will be released soon. If they've fixed the freezing issues, you should have a look at it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote