Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
bluelight
bluelight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Question New user and a question

I finally got my sony reader and I have a um.. N00b.. question. can i read while recharging it via usb?
bluelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Welcome to MobileRead, bluelight.

No, you can't. A USB connection puts the Reader into a state for transferring files from the PC; you can't read on it while it's in that state.

You should only need to recharge about every 3-4 weeks, so no big deal.

You can read while it's connected to the wall charger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
bluelight

ahh thanks =)
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelight View Post
I finally got my sony reader and I have a um.. N00b.. question. can i read while recharging it via usb?
No need to ever apologize for being a Noob --- we were all there at one time!

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We're all here to help.

Welcome to MobileRead --- because we like to do this a lot!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I still find it stupid that you can't just plugin your reader to a USB-cable and it charges without troubs. Teh Connect Software must be installed to work....

I have a couple of USB-cable chargers but can't use them on the reader. Not to mention plugging the reader in some computer (at work, on holiday) and charge it....
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The Reader will recharge via USB only on PCs that have the Sony Reader USB driver installed. For some reason it will also recharge on a MAC USB but the connect software is for the PC only (at this time.)

Many people use a PSP charger with the Reader -- its cheap and works well. Some (like NatCh and I) use an iGo charger that also powers our laptops and other mobile gear.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can get a PSP charger cable which plugs into a USB port. That will work fine on the Reader and will operate from any USB power source.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can get a PSP charger cable which plugs into a USB port. That will work fine on the Reader and will operate from any USB power source.
Similarly, that's what MobileReads member Fain did with his Solio Solar Power device. He got the PSP "tip" and can charge his Reader with pure sunlight. Holy eco-friendly Batman!!
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
bluelight

One more question.

I get the impression Lib500 is a gui that would convert html, lit into lrf. But i can't seem to get that to work. any tutorials for the dummy on how to use. I've searched and all i could see in threads are people seems to know what they are doing in how to use the gui. and I'm still in the dark >.< any help?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelight View Post
You can read from the computer, with Connect sofware opened in 'Preview View' display, while the reader is plugged via USB.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I still find it stupid that you can't just plugin your reader to a USB-cable and it charges without troubs. Teh Connect Software must be installed to work....

I have a couple of USB-cable chargers but can't use them on the reader. Not to mention plugging the reader in some computer (at work, on holiday) and charge it....
That is a limitation of windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is a limitation of windows.
Could you elaborate on that, Kovid? The Reader is the only device that I own which requires that a device driver be installed in order to charge. My iPod, my Archos media player, and half a dozen other devices will all charge from any "dumb" USB connection. In what way is the fact that the Reader requires that Connect be installed in order to charge a limitation of Windows?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All those other devices are USB class devices (they have a generic USB driver, typically the bulk storage driver). Windows requires a device to have a driver before initializing it. The SONY reader use a proprietary USB protocol and thus does not have a generic driver, so unless you install some driver either connect or libprs500, windows does not initialize the reader when it is plugged in.

Unix like OSes on the other hand dont have the concept of "registered drivers" so will initialize any USB device and then wait for a driver, either a kernel module or a userspace driver to claim the device.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Ah, I see. Thank you - I didn't know that. So until the device is initialised, no power goes to it?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes USB devices have to be set into the proper configuration to charge. this is typically done during initialization.