Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
jimvde
jimvde began at the beginning.

Device: none
Indenting first line of paragraph

I'm authoring in Word, using Sigil for epub, using Calibre, and reading in a Kindle. In the original .doc file, I'm indenting using a tab to the default 0.5 inch tab setting. In the Kindle, the first lines are usually indented nine spaces, but sometimes are indented an additional space. What is the best practice for indenting the first line? Set the tab manually at 0.25? Add three spaces manually?

Thanks.
jimvde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The standard advice is NOT to use spaces / tabs for formatting, but rather to use word styles to effect the desired layout.

Assuming that all of your paragraphs are formatted using a Word Normal style, just edit that style to change the Indentation to have a first line indent of a value you are happy with.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
In addition, for epubs, i would not recommend a fixed indent (in inches or points). I would use a value that scales when the user changes the font size. A quarter inch indent might look fine with very small fonts, but it will look almost nonexistent with a larger font. One value I use, which looks good to me, is 1.2em - or 1.2 times the height of the font. YMMV.

In CSS:
p {text-indent:1.2em}

Having said all that, some reading devices will completely override the indent that you choose and replace it with their own... The better devices will allow the user to set it to their liking.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed - use an indent in ems so it scales with the text (I use 1em, but that's just personal preference).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote