Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
How about more font sizes with mobi?

I have settled on mobi for my non-DRM'd files since I cannot change the font on epubs and there is no statusbar with epubs. But the mobi reader only allow 3 different sizes. Could we get a few more in the next firmware?

Last edited by tselling; 11-19-2009 at 05:43 PM.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
You DO have font size increase on both EPUB and

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
I have settled on mobi for my non-DRM'd files since I cannot change the font on epubs and there is no statusbar with epubs. But the mobi reader only allow 3 different sizes. Could we get a few more in the next firmware?

Dear tselling:

You do have font sizes increasing for both EPUB and Mobi non-DRM.

If you cannot figure out how via the FAQ sheet (www.theEZreader.com) under "support", please jot an email to:support@astak.com or call the toll free number: 1-866-368-8788 and let us help you!!

Yes, I am already asking the factory for more font size choices. Did you do the November 5 firmware upgrade? That greatly improved the font size graduations.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear tselling:

You do have font sizes increasing for both EPUB and Mobi non-DRM.

If you cannot figure out how via the FAQ sheet (www.theEZreader.com) under "support", please jot an email to:support@astak.com or call the toll free number: 1-866-368-8788 and let us help you!!

Yes, I am already asking the factory for more font size choices. Did you do the November 5 firmware upgrade? That greatly improved the font size graduations.
Robert, I do have the new firmware. And the font sizes choices for MOBI are still only 3. For EPUB, I was saying that I cannot change the actual font. I find the font in EPUB to be less readable than others that I can load for MOBI. If I could change the EPUB font (ie choose a different font than the default) AND there was a statusbar in EPUB then I wouldn't need mobi. Until then Mobi files are my best option... except for the limited 3 font size choices. Yes, they are not too bad as far as sizes go but a couple more sizes would be nice.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Robert, I do have the new firmware. And the font sizes choices for MOBI are still only 3. For EPUB, I was saying that I cannot change the actual font. I find the font in EPUB to be less readable than others that I can load for MOBI. If I could change the EPUB font (ie choose a different font than the default) AND there was a statusbar in EPUB then I wouldn't need mobi. Until then Mobi files are my best option... except for the limited 3 font size choices. Yes, they are not too bad as far as sizes go but a couple more sizes would be nice.
with EPUB, if you are you pressing:
Menu, 5)Zoom
You should see 5 sizes. (I tend to use #3)
I wish we could set a Default (by format) Zoom to use... RobertB
Leaving the current method to override the default.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I concur!!

Quote:
You and me BOTH wish that we could get 5-6 graduations. The factory that makes the Mentor Lite has 8 graduations.

I will bring this up to the factory again tonight.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
For EPUB, I was saying that I cannot change the actual font. I find the font in EPUB to be less readable than others that I can load for MOBI.
It is possible to change the font, but only by explicitly modifying each ePub. See Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!

Mobile Adobe Digital Editions also has an option for user-provided extra CSS, which would allow changing the font in many cases without modifying the ebook. However, no EInk Reader vendor has turned on this option. This would be a good thing for Jinke to do. All that is required is to change the location of userStyle.css to a user-accessible folder on the SD card, see User Stylesheet for Adobe Digital Editions. This would make the EZ Reader's ePub support significantly better than its competitors.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
tselling
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
with EPUB, if you are you pressing:
Menu, 5)Zoom
You should see 5 sizes. (I tend to use #3)
I wish we could set a Default (by format) Zoom to use... RobertB
Leaving the current method to override the default.
Robert, I still don't think you understand what I am saying about the EPUB files. I can change the font size and there are 5 sizes. But I do not like the font style. In mobi I can change the font to IBOOKN which is easier to read... or even load more fonts like Aller or Gentium but I cannot with the EPUB files.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Robert, I still don't think you understand what I am saying about the EPUB files. I can change the font size and there are 5 sizes. But I do not like the font style. In mobi I can change the font to IBOOKN which is easier to read... or even load more fonts like Aller or Gentium but I cannot with the EPUB files.

Yes, most of my ePubs seem to use Time Roman by default. Basically, we need the reader to default to using the font from the settings page (as it does for text files). The fact that it doesn't seems like an ommission to me.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
tselling
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is possible to change the font, but only by explicitly modifying each ePub. See Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!

Mobile Adobe Digital Editions also has an option for user-provided extra CSS, which would allow changing the font in many cases without modifying the ebook. However, no EInk Reader vendor has turned on this option. This would be a good thing for Jinke to do. All that is required is to change the location of userStyle.css to a user-accessible folder on the SD card, see User Stylesheet for Adobe Digital Editions. This would make the EZ Reader's ePub support significantly better than its competitors.
Yes thanks wallcraft, I am aware that I could modify each and every book to use a specific font internally but then I still would be stuck with that font all the time. So when I decide I like a new font I have to redo all the books. It would be nice to be able to change on the fly like the Mobi files..... Also since there is no statusbar in Epub that shows battery and page number I really am not inclined to bother with Epub.

Last edited by tselling; 11-19-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Yes thanks wallcraft, I am aware that I could modify each and every book to use a specific font internally but then I still would be stuck with that font all the time. So when I decide I like a new font I have to redo all the books. It would be nice to be able to change on the fly like the Mobi files..... Also since there is no statusbar in Epub that shows battery and page number I really am not inclined to bother with Epub.
Press the main button (the OK, or menu button) and a status bar with battery meter and page number will pop up momentarily.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I know what you mean... It's the same reason I stay with mobi. The only problem is the lack of font-sizes (and I finally found a font I like and which is small enough...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Press the main button (the OK, or menu button) and a status bar with battery meter and page number will pop up momentarily.
Sorry, that won't do it for me. I want to see it always, not after pushing buttons where I don't even have my fingers...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Robertb

Font size graduations and the default

Dear All:

Here is the word from the factory overnight:

"Our engineer informs me, the EPUB supports 5 font sizes, and MOBI non-drm supports 3 font sizes. In the future, the EPUB will add more font sizes, and we also consider MOBI non-drm."

I think I now understand. You all want me to ask the factory to chage the Pocket PRO so that it stays with the font style choice and does not default back. Am I right??

I will take that to their attention.

People, I am sorry if I sometimes miss your point. I really try. I am not always in on every conversation and I am not a tech whiz either. I just keep trying to make the Pocket PRO better by being a good interface between you and the factory.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Here is the word from the factory overnight:

"Our engineer informs me, the EPUB supports 5 font sizes, and MOBI non-drm supports 3 font sizes. In the future, the EPUB will add more font sizes, and we also consider MOBI non-drm."

I think I now understand. You all want me to ask the factory to chage the Pocket PRO so that it stays with the font style choice and does not default back. Am I right??

I will take that to their attention.

People, I am sorry if I sometimes miss your point. I really try. I am not always in on every conversation and I am not a tech whiz either. I just keep trying to make the Pocket PRO better by being a good interface between you and the factory.
Actually, no. What *I* get from reading these posts is people want to choose their own font sizes.

But then I may have totally missed the point.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
Actually, no. What *I* get from reading these posts is people want to choose their own font sizes.

But then I may have totally missed the point.
I think you are right. It is not having a huge number of choices it is about having the right choices which varies with the individual. Each person probably only really want a few choices, perhaps 2 or 3 depending on the situation.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The difference between the font sizes is too big. On mobi: size 1 is too big and size 2 is even worse... On epub, size 1 is waaaay too small, and size 2 is too big... At least, for my taste...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote