Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
Friar
Ave Maria!
Friar began at the beginning.

Device: Anything I can find/borrow/use for testing eBooks
Trouble Saving in Ebook-Edit

I am having difficulty saving ePubs after editing them. The error message I get is:
Code:
calibre, version 1.27.0
ERROR: Could not save: Saving of the book failed. Click "Show Details" for more information. You can try to save a copy to a different location, via File->Save a Copy

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\save.py", line 145, in process_save
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\save.py", line 155, in do_save
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\save.py", line 29, in save_container
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 452, in atomic_rename
error: (5, 'MoveFileEx', 'Access is denied.')

I am tweaking books produced in InDesign, and am not using Calibre's library function. I have dropped the epub file on a shortcut to ebook-edit.exe, used the "Open With" dialogue box from the Windows shell, selecting that same executable, and used the Open Book from inside the program as well.

I was able to save books yesterday. The files are in a folder on the desktop, and I am using Windows 7. Any help would be appreciated!
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Friar - Looks a bit like a Permissions issue, maybe in the Temp folder

Try solution in post #2 in this thread ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235429

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Friar
Ave Maria!

It worked! God bless your "male gut feeling" !
Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar View Post
It worked! God bless your "male gut feeling" !
Hmmmm, that's good - but I'd rather God tell us why it worked!

BR
Old 03-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hmmmm, that's good - but I'd rather God tell us why it worked!

BR
Incorrect permissions on the default temp folder or some kind of aggressive security program that interferes with normal file operations in temp folders.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Kovid, I'm not convinced.

The default temp folder is shared by many applications, browsers, photo editors, Lightroom, Breeze, Sigil, Acrobat etc. I've not noticed any similar problems in the forums for those applications or in the major Windows 7 forums.

I use a photo library package that has similarities to calibre, MySql database for metadata, metadata embedded in images, metadata sidecar files, folder creation, rename, move etc. It writes lots of folders and files to the Temp folder for searches, edits, resizes etc. It's not as 'good' as calibre is at removing things from Temp - i.e stuff is left lying around, but Disk Cleanup takes care of that. It is Windows only, it doesn't spawn worker processes, although it is it is multi-threaded. Its a bespoke program written in C++.

I fixed a friends PC recently, it had MSE, McAfee, and NOD32 installed and running! The machine ran like a dog, e.g. 20 minutes to shut down - none of the three excluded anything except some System/Hidden folders like System Volume Information.

According to the owner calibre wasn't as significantly effected performance-wise as were some other programs, like browsers and Lightroom. Before I removed the unwanted Security Suites (McAfee & NOD32) I ran calibre, did a couple of conversions, used the reader and downloaded some metadata - no problems, calibre was sluggish but nowhere near as bad as firefox and Lightroom.

BR

The extra security suites were installed by a someone from ANU Admin!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Friar
Ave Maria!

As far as I can see, the only user name on my Temp folder that doesn't have full permissions is "Users". I vaguely remember something from somewhere (Linux?) where I would have to edit the shortcut to run a program as Admin (or "Sudo"). Could it be something similar here? Could Calibre be running, not under the user I am signed in as (Admin account), but as a guest user or something?

Also, for security I am running Advast.

If it helps, when I try to run Regex in the toc.ncx file I get this error.
Quote:
calibre, version 1.19.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: error:unknown extension at position 3

calibre 1.19 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\boss.py", line 617, in search
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\search.py", line 292, in get_regex
File "site-packages\regex\__init__.py", line 331, in compile
File "site-packages\regex\__init__.py", line 481, in _compile
error: unknown extension at position 3
My search term is "(?sU)<\?xml.*<navMap>.*<text>" and I developed it in Sigil's Regex, so that may be the problem. I thought I would post this just in case it helps.

**EDIT**
Turns out the error comes from using (?sU) to get non-greedy mode. If I use .*?, it works fine.

Last edited by Friar; 03-21-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: more info

Tags
calibre, edit, problem, save