Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #91
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
I have a Kindle Keyboard 3.3 - hacked, anyway to use x-ray?

Though x-ray is mainly for novels, I tend to read philosophy, psychology etc. the most inaccessible books possible - I doubt x-ray would be of much use to me - so more curious than interested.
It's actually pretty good for non fiction. I bought "What to Expect the First Year" (a book about babies) and X-Ray works like a powerful index/glossary.
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #92
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Are their other non-fiction titles that use x-ray.

As I am writing a book on philosophy, and I want to publish it using x-ray. Though I know next to nothing about it, well nothing about it, nor even the right kindles, I already have 3 e-readers - I cannot justify buying another one just to have x-ray?
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #93
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can't get this working. I can get the Xray button to show up, and when pressed it displays a list of terms/characters, but whichever one I press I get a garbled line like:

"enc type="toc" title="Table of Contents"
filepos=0000726709 />"

I tried on a Paperwhite running 5.3, a Paperwhite running 5.2 and a Touch. I've tried on a side-loaded book AND an emailed Personal Documents one. Same result every time.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #94
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I wrote the Calibre version of the X-Ray generator - not the original web version - which was a bit foolish of me, since I don't actually have a newer Kindle which supports X-Ray, so I can't actually tell if it works or not.

But now I guess there are probably more X-Ray-capable Kindles around, so hopefully someone who has one can help out a bit.

What would be really useful is if someone could was able to:
1. get an official X-Ray file for a book (are there any free books with X-Ray data?)
2. generate a X-Ray file for the same book from the web version, or the Calibre plug-in
3. post them somewhere for comparison

That might help to nail down the problems. Since (AFAIK) there's no officially published file format it's hard to work out what's wrong.
mjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #95
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwilson View Post
I wrote the Calibre version of the X-Ray generator - not the original web version - which was a bit foolish of me, since I don't actually have a newer Kindle which supports X-Ray, so I can't actually tell if it works or not.

But now I guess there are probably more X-Ray-capable Kindles around, so hopefully someone who has one can help out a bit.

What would be really useful is if someone could was able to:
1. get an official X-Ray file for a book (are there any free books with X-Ray data?)
2. generate a X-Ray file for the same book from the web version, or the Calibre plug-in
3. post them somewhere for comparison

That might help to nail down the problems. Since (AFAIK) there's no officially published file format it's hard to work out what's wrong.
Here's the original X-Ray file for a free Kindle book called "The Sword and The Flame: The Forging":

[snip]

I imported the book into Calibre and converted to (old format) MOBI, then used the web-based X-Ray generator to generate an X-Ray file. It's available here:

[snip]

Hope this helps.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-22-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Uncertain as to copyright status of the material in X-Ray files.
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #96
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #97
gers1978
Addict

Here's another, from "A Little Bit Of Everything For Dummies":

Original X-Ray file:

[snip]

Web-generated X-Ray file:

[snip]

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-22-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Uncertain as to copyright status of the material in X-Ray files.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #98
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unless the material in X-Ray files is known to be out of copyright, please do not post them on MobileRead.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #99
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Very nice, shinew. Thank you.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #100
rdlaub
rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdlaub ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Song of Ice and Fire

Has anyone used this to obtain an x-ray file for A Song of Ice and Fire by R. R. Martin. I've been having trouble getting this to work.
rdlaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #101
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
This is brilliant. Thanks for providing the source.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #102
Figan
Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question Is a Jailbroken Kindle Touch Required?

Hello,

Thanks very much to shinew, gluggy, and mjwilson for the work so far. I am eager to get this working but as of yet I haven't been able. I would really appreciate some advice.

I have tried using shinew's website at http://www.xunwang.me/xray/ (with and without wikipedia entry, with and without the optional db name), and I have tried mjwilson's calibre plugin (again, with or without the wikipedia entry).

I get the X-Ray button, but I get the 'X-Ray is not available for this book' message. There is also a centre-aligned 'WG' at the bottom of the window that's almost certainly irrelevant, but seems oddly remarkable.

The ASIN comes from gluggy's java tool, and I've used the file that's both in my Calibre library and already on the Kindle Touch. The likliest culprit is probably the db name. As far as I can tell from Mobi Metadata Editor, the file has none, but I've tried using the 'Full Name' entry and the 'Name' entry from the Header juse in case. What does the Database Name show up as in Mobi Metadata Editor exactly? Am I missing it?

Another likely cause is the fact that the Kindle in question is on the official, latest update. I've assumed (literally realising this foolish assumption as I type it) that a jailbroken Kindle Touch isn't required. That probably isn't the case is it?

It would be great to get this working!

Thanks for reading,

Figan

Last edited by Figan; 01-18-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Clarity.
Figan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #103
mjwilson
Connoisseur

I think it's fair to say that there are still problems with the generator which haven't been ironed out yet.

I sent a few sample files to gers1978 and we did at least manage to come up with something that could do links to Wikipedia; however, the X-Ray file also contains some kind of pointer to positions within the e-book, and that doesn't seem to have been decoded yet. So currently you tend to get some off-putting gibberish. I probably need to get round to looking at this again.

Secondly I tried my Calibre plugin on a book and just got an error message - again I need to work out what's wrong there.

Finally I don't think you should need to jailbreak.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #104
Figan
Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks, at least the jailbreak issue is one thing that I can eliminate. I shouldn't think the January official update would cause an issue either, but I can't be certain.

I also got an error from the plugin:
Code:
calibre, version 0.9.15 (win32, isfrozen: True)
Failed to generate XRay: Failed: Generating XRay for Desktop

Generating XRay for Desktop

XRAY generation failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 203, in run
  File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 248, in _generate_xray
  File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 331, in write_xray
ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack
The work so far is really appreciated, mjwilson, it would be the best calibre plugin out there for Kindle Touch owners.

If anybody can help me identify where the database name can be found in gluggy's Mobi Metadata Editor, that would be great. I'll keep noodling around in the meantime.
Figan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #105
mjwilson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figan View Post
Thanks, at least the jailbreak issue is one thing that I can eliminate. I shouldn't think the January official update would cause an issue either, but I can't be certain.

I also got an error from the plugin:
Yes, I've seen that, need to find time to take a look at it.

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, kindle tools, x-ray