Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle Fire and Calibre

Just thought I'd post this for others like me who might be coming to see about this:

Calibre does not, at the moment, detect the Fire.

Edit:

D'oh. Probably should have put this in Devices subforum.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
If you have a Fire in your hot little hands you can help others get the device added to calibre
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....pported-in-app
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

I'll do that as soon as I figure out where side-loaded books go. I dropped one into the 'books' folder, but I can't get it to show up in the reader. (One of the questions in your link is 'Tell us where books need to go'

Last edited by gweminence; 11-15-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Version: 0.8.25
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b34&rev0005',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b3c&rev0005',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_00b0&rev_0110',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_00b0&rev_0110&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_00b0&rev_0110&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c016&rev_0340',
u'usb\\vid_0557&pid_7000&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_064e&pid_2100&rev_0300',
u'usb\\vid_064e&pid_2100&rev_0300&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_1949&pid_0006&rev_0216',
u'usb\\vid_1949&pid_0006&rev_0216&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_1949&pid_0006&rev_0216&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000',
u'usb\\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000']
Drives detected:
(0) D:\ ~ \\?\STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_AMAZON&PRO D_KINDLE&REV_0001#8&2D4F40B&0&6052002600000001&0#{ 53F56307-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}#{53F5630D-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}
Available plugins: ADAM ALEX ALURATEK_COLOR ANDROID ARCHOS7O AVANT AZBOOKA BAMBOOK
BLACKBERRY BOEYE_BDX BOEYE_BEX BOOQ BOOX COBY COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK E52
E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE EEEREADER ELONEX ESLICK EX124G
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA ITUNES JETBOOK
JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KOBO LIBREAIR LUMIREAD MENTOR
MIBUK MOOVYBOOK N516 N770 N810 NEWSMY NEXTBOOK NOOK NOOK_COLOR NUUT2
ORIZON PALMPRE PDNOVEL PDNOVEL_KOBO PICO POCKETBOOK301 POCKETBOOK360
POCKETBOOK360P POCKETBOOK602 POCKETBOOK701 PRS505 PRST1 README S60
SHINEBOOK SNE SOVOS SPECTRA STASH SUNSTECH_EB700 SWEEX TECLAST_K3
THEBOOK TREKSTOR USER_DEFINED VELOCITYMICRO WEBOS WEXLER

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None

Version: 0.8.25
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b34&rev0005',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b3c&rev0005',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_00b0&rev_0110',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_00b0&rev_0110&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_00b0&rev_0110&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c016&rev_0340',
u'usb\\vid_0557&pid_7000&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_064e&pid_2100&rev_0300',
u'usb\\vid_064e&pid_2100&rev_0300&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000',
u'usb\\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000']
Drives detected:
Available plugins: ADAM ALEX ALURATEK_COLOR ANDROID ARCHOS7O AVANT AZBOOKA BAMBOOK
BLACKBERRY BOEYE_BDX BOEYE_BEX BOOQ BOOX COBY COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK E52
E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE EEEREADER ELONEX ESLICK EX124G
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA ITUNES JETBOOK
JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KOBO LIBREAIR LUMIREAD MENTOR
MIBUK MOOVYBOOK N516 N770 N810 NEWSMY NEXTBOOK NOOK NOOK_COLOR NUUT2
ORIZON PALMPRE PDNOVEL PDNOVEL_KOBO PICO POCKETBOOK301 POCKETBOOK360
POCKETBOOK360P POCKETBOOK602 POCKETBOOK701 PRS505 PRST1 README S60
SHINEBOOK SNE SOVOS SPECTRA STASH SUNSTECH_EB700 SWEEX TECLAST_K3
THEBOOK TREKSTOR USER_DEFINED VELOCITYMICRO WEBOS WEXLER

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None

The ebooks go in the Documents folder
Code:
D:\Documents
It does not seem like subfolders work, and the new ebooks took a minute or so to show up.

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-15-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: no need to reboot
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

The ebooks go in the Documents folder
It does not seem like subfolders work, and the new ebooks took a minute or so to show up.
Actually, I've been putting them in the books folder, and half of them show up in the reader, while those that don't show up under the docs tab, despite being in the books folder. See this thread for more discussion:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=157221&page=2
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Actually, I've been putting them in the books folder, and half of them show up in the reader, while those that don't show up under the docs tab, despite being in the books folder.
I agree, Books or Documents
Code:
D:\Books

D:\Documents
So far, all my Calibre MOBIs (even those from ePubs) show up as Books, no matter which of the two folders they are in. A PDF shows up under Docs though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
gweminence
Fat Guy

In that thread that I linked, I explain my experiences with .mobis. Half seem to go to books, half to docs, despite all being in books folder. I'm beginning to suspect that all is not well with Amazon's overlay implementation.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
gweminence
Fat Guy

Ok, Blossom from the Fire forums figured it out:

the 'PDOC' tag under mobi output causes it to be, obviously, a document, and not a book. Re-converting a mobi with that field blank ensures that it shows up under books, and syncs properly.

Thanks blossom!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd like confirmation on whether sub folders work or not, as I would be fairly surprised if they did not. Also could someone create a news download in calibre (with output profile set to Kindle) and copy the resulting mobi to the fire and see what happens.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'd like confirmation on whether sub folders work or not, as I would be fairly surprised if they did not. Also could someone create a news download in calibre (with output profile set to Kindle) and copy the resulting mobi to the fire and see what happens.
Sub folders work, Kovid. I had [PDOC] set as a conversion option under mobi output. This caused the Fire to read it as a Document, rather than book. Reconversion with this removed causes proper behavior. I'll be back in a second with the news result.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One more question: Is the documents folder "Documents" or "documents"
Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
gweminence
Fat Guy

It's "Documents", but that's not where you want books to go, you want them in "Books", so they'll go into the reader (This is significant because you're then pressing the 'books' tab to find side-loaded books, rather than the 'Documents' tab.)
Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
psikic
psikic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
One more question: Is the documents folder "Documents" or "documents"
The folder is "Documents".

P.S. I'm willing to test when you get this ready. Thanks!
psikic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Does putting them in Documents cause them to not show up as Books, I thought that was determined by the presence or absence of the PDOC field.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
gweminence
Fat Guy

News mobi (I used Anandtech) worked just fine, Kovid.

Tags
media player 11, mtp