Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
canezila
Edge User

Exclamation How to ruin your $40.00 Motion Computing Pen and not even know it!!

Oppps... Dont do what I did.

Washed and dried. Like... left in my pants or shirt pocket and made its way through the washer and dryer machine. Yes, it looks fine (and clean, too with a fine sent of winterly freshness lol)... but now it writes BEFORE my stylus touches the screen. It looks cool for a trick or maybe science project that I can not explain (magnets?)... but this self inflicted situation sure stunts writing and any other important job one would use their stylus for on the e-ink screen.

Thankfully, I have the white one that came with my eDGe...

Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Sorry to hear that All to easy to do, of course. I once heard a clunking in my washing machine right after I started it - I had forgotten to take my cordless phone off the top of the pile of clothes before dumping it into the machine...

Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
kenjennings
Edge User

It sounds like moisture is shorting out the tip switch. The pen may (may, did I say may?) fix itself eventually if left to dry out by itself. Or the dryer was hot enough to melt something important. Then again, the metal stuff in its guts may also begin rusting and it will stop working entirely. You could use the opportunity to take it apart and see how much stuff there is inside.

Last edited by kenjennings; 02-07-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
canezila
Edge User

Good points. Did not think about melting or moisture. It would be interesting to take it apart if it is not functional after a week.

Good save on the phone, borisb. That would have been a bumner for sure.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
ivan
Edge User

If you do take it apart photos would be nice - or is it just the engineer in me wanting to know what makes it tick.

Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
TommyZ
Edge User

I lost one of mine by that old excuse..."The dog ate it". My poor motion pen lay motionless and gnawed. I should have taken it apart since it was nearly severed anyway. Too angry and tossed it.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canezila View Post
Oppps... Dont do what I did.

Washed and dried. Like... left in my pants or shirt pocket and made its way through the washer and dryer machine. Yes, it looks fine (and clean, too with a fine sent of winterly freshness lol)... but now it writes BEFORE my stylus touches the screen. It looks cool for a trick or maybe science project that I can not explain (magnets?)... but this self inflicted situation sure stunts writing and any other important job one would use their stylus for on the e-ink screen.

Thankfully, I have the white one that came with my eDGe...
canezila, the *very* same thing happened to my separately purchased Wacom pen (it wrote before touching the screen etc.). However, I just let it dry for about a week and it was fine afterward.

My suggestion; before you take it apart, wait for a week or so.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
canezila
Edge User

I have removed the tip and it is currently airing out. But if it isn't working by Saturday... its going to be slowly dissected (with pictures).

One other bit of information: I must have pushed the side button in too many times because it has shifted(??). This happened before I washed it... but did not effect anything eDGe related. I would imagine that using it on its intended form would show its button dysfunction... But since it doesn't effect our device, it doesn't/didn't matter. It was just too easy to push it when I was bored at meetings!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
kenjennings
Edge User

The side button isn't used by entourage's software. Neither is the eraser button. So, you should be OK.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
StevenP
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
The side button isn't used by entourage's software. Neither is the eraser button. So, you should be OK.
It would be nice if the Edge utilitized these buttons if the user had them (perhaps make their functions programmable.)

Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
kenjennings
Edge User

I already asked for eraser button support. Given the number of people with an eraser button, and the number of people who want landscape orientation fixed and the amount of time it has take to not fix landscape, I have no hope of the eraser button ever doing anything.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
onebrokenneck
Edge User

A handy trick for drying out electronics that have had the washer, sink, tub, toilet, river, whatever treatment is to put them in a bowl of rice for a few or several days - fully covered. The rice will absorb the moisture out of devices and usually, you don't have to take them apart. It wouldn't hurt to disassemble what ever comes apart naturally but I wouldn't go nuts ripping bits off it. Pulling battery covers and batts is the most I've had to do. I've done it on MP3 players and friends have done it on cell phones with excellent results.