Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #31
JRAWKER
Connoisseur
JRAWKER began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper
I have NO idea how to install this program. Can someone run me through it?

Thanks.
JRAWKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:12 AM   #32
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
i've finally fixed up the original post with install instructions and a link to the latest version. sorry it took so long.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 AM   #33
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Sweet! 2.1.6, I need to make some time so I can test it out and see what's new. Thanks Alex of the Corporeal Pressings! ;-p
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #34
njt
Enthusiast
njt began at the beginning.

Hmmm it's not working for me, perhaps it's because my OS is Japanese? But it won't convert what I want it to, and when I tried to convert an English PDF it ended up just being entirely blank . the error message is:

Input File Name : D:\PDFrasterFarian 2.1.6\\temp\temp.lrs
Output File Name : D:\testpdf.lrf
ファイルの整合性をチェックします
整合性のチェック完了
[Warning ] Publisherの文字列が長すぎて、表示しきれない場合があります。
書誌情報ファイルの整合性をチェックします
書誌情報ファイルの整合性チェック完了
[Warning ] Invalid value blockrule. Set Default value [line: 25]
正常終了
njt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #35
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It shows a warning about too long Publisher value, but the last line is "Normal termination".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #36
Tysdaddy
Tysdaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Considering Sony Reader
Perhaps I'm an idiot . . .

I am new on this forum and am considering picking up the Sony Reader after seeing it on display at Borders. I am a bit concerned since, as I search the Connect site, I don't see many of my favorite authors available. No Pynchon. No Yann Martel. No Andre Dubus. Interesting . . .

But here's to the point:

I downloaded your program and wanted to give it a shot. I have Adobe Reader installed, but the only unzipper I have is WinZip. I don't think it can handle your .rar file. Any suggestions?

I plan to use my reader to take along some gaming books (D&D) I have in .pdf to gaming sessions and was going to try and convert some just for fun. Will these things be readable?

Anyway. I hope to learn a lot just hanging around the forums and reading what I can.

Thanks for the help.
Tysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #37
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Get WinRAR to handle RAR (and many others) archives. You can also try 7-Zip or IZarc for freeware extraction alternatives.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #38
njt
Enthusiast
njt began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
It shows a warning about too long Publisher value, but the last line is "Normal termination".
hmmm but that still doesn't explain why it doesn't work at all :s. Either a complete white document or not converted at all :s
njt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 AM   #39
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysdaddy
I plan to use my reader to take along some gaming books (D&D) I have in .pdf to gaming sessions and was going to try and convert some just for fun. Will these things be readable?
I'm not sure how good your game manuals will look, even after conversion; mainly due to their original size. Most D&D manuals are a bit larger than regular US magazines, which when converted are fairly usable. Not sure how small the font will be once converted. Of course if you don't mind viewing in landscape mode, you'll probably be able to read it much easier (I think that when you use the software to convert in landscape mode, it's optimized at a differnt setting than in portait mode. Alex will need to confirm/deny this though, as I don't know).

Secondly, if things do work out for you... you might want to set some bookmarks on each chapter and other important sections ahead of time since you cannot skip to a certain page - though you can skip in percentages of the page, as well as 10 pages at a time.

Let me know how things work out for you, or maybe post an demo of a page or two that works/didn't work for you. Have fun!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #40
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Unhappy Just not getting it....

I'm just not following exactly how this thing works. I had no trouble doing the install. I saw all of the well documented comments about each option. My question is exactly how do you use this program? I right clicked on a PDF file and selected PDFrasterFarian. Then I am prompted to select the program I want to "use to open this file". That brings up several programs on my PC including Adobe reader, AutoImager (which I installed specifically for this process), etc. No matter what I select, nothing seems to "happen". The PDFs look the same (at least on my PC). Also where exactly does AutoImager fit in. Does PDFrasterFarian automatically launch AutoImager or am I suppose to have it running already. Sorry for my frustration, but based on the feedback in this forum, it sounds like this is a great application. Loading readable PDFs in my Reader would add major functionality to a good product. Lost in Austin...
Thx, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #41
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I guess I need some help... When installing 2.1.6, I get the following
Quote:
The operation completed successfully

Error: Access is denied.

Installation done...

TO USE: right-click a PDF file in Windows Explorer
select 'PDFrasterFarian'

ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE:
In order to use the Explorer right-click menu, you need to install either
Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro

In order to use FULL image processing, you will need to install AutoImager
autoimager.com/download.asp (note, trial won't expire)

To do manual cropping use Adobe Acrobat Pro, which gives the best results,
or the free JAP software, at files.ebook.googlepages.com/setup.exe

Press RETURN to close...
and right clicking a .pdf file doesn't show a PDFrasterFarian option or any other obvious choice for launching a conversion.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #42
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
It seems AutoImager is no longer available for downloading :-(

Could the necessary processing be done with ImageMagick?

Last edited by geekraver; 02-04-2007 at 12:21 AM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #43
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I guess I need some help... When installing 2.1.6, I get the followingand right clicking a .pdf file doesn't show a PDFrasterFarian option or any other obvious choice for launching a conversion.
Same here. I saw two "Access is Denied" messages, and no context menu option afterwards.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #44
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
It seems AutoImager is no longer available for downloading :-(
Ouch, that sucks! Since there was a bit of concern expressed here (and I was a bit curious myself to see what happened), I decided to Google and drop by the website. After clicking on the "Download" tab and seeing the "Product Not Currently Available for Download" remark, I simply clicked on the little icon next to it that and voila, it took me to SnapFiles.com where I was able to initiate the download of the demo.

Try what I mentioned above and you shouldn't have any problems. Perhaps they're having webserver issues ATM and will have it fixed shortly. Indeed, it would suck if it was no longer available for d/l (but I'm sure we'd have a few resourceful people who've d/l'd a backup just for this scenario; VM's work great!), not sure what Alex would do in this case, but he's pretty resourceful and persistent so it wouldn't take long for a workaround.

Good luck!

Edit: Sorry for the quick but inaccurate advice. I decided to run the setup file I d/l from the above-mentioned artcle and found that AutoImager's developers, Mystik Media, decided to have the software delivered via Internet dowload using the setup program as a client (I remember thinking this during the first install, though I didn't drop to my Temp directory to salvage what was d/l'd, sorry). When I ran the setup, I received the error message that the software is no longer available for d/l. Grrr, who knows what happened.

Last edited by Azayzel; 02-04-2007 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Update on D/L of Setup File
Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #45
geekraver
Addict

It seems this thread should be made sticky...

Alex, can you give an overview of what the process is that you use? I've been wishing for a DJVu viewer on the reader, but in the abscence of that, I was wondering whether the same principles can be applied to making usable books out of non-OCR scans (I have some graphically intensive reference material that I would love to put on the reader). One possibility would be to turn the scans into a PDF and then run your tool, assuming that would even work - but another might be to apply the same transforms to the .png files directly, and only then turn them into a PDF.