Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Four drive letters

Is anyone else getting four drive letters assigned when plugging in your PRS-650? When I was using a borrowed PRS-350, it only assigned two, as expected. I'm running Win7 64-bit.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I would expect the two extra are for the SD and memory stick cards.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Yes. I get four drive letters. I am running WinXP Professional, fwiw.

Two of them are for the memory cards, and I don't even have memory cards inserted, so of course when I click on those drives they say "Please insert a disk in drive F:" which reminds me of floppy drives - I wonder if I could insert an SD card into the slot with the device powered on and attached to my PC, and the system would just handle it? If I ever get around to digging up one of the SD cards I have around here, maybe I'll try it.

SETTING appears to be a very small partition with the device software install packages and instruction manuals on it - I suspect those items can be deleted once I'm finished setting up, but if my current desktop melts down it'll be handy to have them still, and besides, I don't have any shortage of space on my reader, and I doubt I can get that partition to join the other partition, without reformatting the whole device and who knows what I'd lose then? So I think I'll leave it alone and just ignore it.

READER appears to be the only useful partition.

When I do the "Safely remove hardware" function, removing one drive removes all four. So they aren't adding any extra steps. They just look weird.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You'll probably find you don't have the privileges to delete Setting contents... and even if you can, you shouldn't as it won't gain you anything. Reformatting the whole device isn't viable either and you won't end up with one (very) slightly bigger partition.

Yes, Reader is the only useful partition and that's how it's designed to work... the other two drive letters become active (as you surmised) when containing memory cards... enjoy your reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
SETTING appears to be a very small partition with the device software install packages and instruction manuals on it - I suspect those items can be deleted once I'm finished setting up, but if my current desktop melts down it'll be handy to have them still, and besides, I don't have any shortage of space on my reader, and I doubt I can get that partition to join the other partition, without reformatting the whole device and who knows what I'd lose then? So I think I'll leave it alone and just ignore it.

READER appears to be the only useful partition.

When I do the "Safely remove hardware" function, removing one drive removes all four. So they aren't adding any extra steps. They just look weird.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I would expect the two extra are for the SD and memory stick cards.
Yes, of course that's what they are. I must have been having a Homer Simpson moment -- DOH!

Not yet having a need for the memory card slots, I sort of forgot about them. Almost 1.5GB of internal memory will store one heck of a lot of ebooks.

It's early senility. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Unless I forget what my story is

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Does anyone actually use Sony sticks?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
Do you mean, those overpriced long thingy thing?
Nah... don't want to be bothered too.
But I did have one, when I had my sony ericsson phone years ago.
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
Oh yeah, forgot to ask something. I'm on windows 7, and you can set autoplay "do this every time", but what I'm really searching is an option to "do nothing". Why I can't find one when I plug my 650?

Every time I plug it it has to call up autoplay and ask me what to do..
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'd like to be able to turn off Autoplay, too!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
When the autoplay do this window opens there should be a "do nothing" with a check box for do this every time... may have to scroll down to see it as I think it may be last option. Result is do noting every time...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
In the past few days I've read a review of something Sony is making (I think it's a phone) and Sony had put on an SD slot but not their MemoryStick slot, so it would appear it's dying as a format.

I quite like having both slots though. I have music on a 32GB SDHC card, which I can put in one slot, and use the Sony one for books.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #12
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Yeah i do... i recycled one from the PSP i had that is now laying in a box in the shed.
Figured i may as well grab the MS!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #13
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
The choice to do nothing is labeled "Take No Action".

You can also disable autorun altogether: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715 This is worth doing, for security purposes alone.

Last edited by elizilla; 11-11-2010 at 01:21 AM.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote