Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
deltame
deltame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, EZ Reader
have K2, want buy another device

I have the kindle 2 and love it. The only limitation for me, as I see it, is that I would like to read e-book from my library sometimes. I am lucky in that I have access to the NYC public library and their e-book (and also mostly audio-book) collection is quite impressive. The library offers e-book in DRM protected via both the PDF and mobi formats. Between Sony 505 and EZ-book, I cannot seem to decide which device would be best for me w.r.t. DRM contents from the library. Compatibility to Sony 505 is well documented on my library's website but some had said PDF viewing on 505 isn't ideal. I'm leaning towards EZ-book if I can be certain that it does support DRM-mobi format. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

deltame
p.s. I am aware of certain scripts out there that people use & convert DRM-mobi into amazon kindle readable format. However, I'm not very literate in this area and since instruction is taken off-line, I'm not confident I can get it to work. I also worry too much, that amazon could one day decide to further restrict at the device level.
deltame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is possible to read MOBI lending library ebooks on the EZ Reader, but you have to manually set the clock to get it to work. See Library eBooks Readable = Win.

It is a shame that Amazon threw its weight around at MobileRead, because kindlefix does not circumvent DRM and is entirely legal in the US. It is still available from its original blog posting (another indication of its legality).

It can be difficult to learn the "command line", but the good news is that the Kindle Visual Guide, once decimated by Amazon's strong arm tactics, again has sections on Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac and Install Python Windows. This might be enough (with the readme.txt that comes with kindlefix) to get you to the point where lending library MOBIs work on your Kindle.

If not, see if you can use KindleDRM. This python script does not touch DRM, be it will tell you if an AZW/MOBI/PRC ebook has DRM or not. Even Amazon would likely agree that this script is legal, so we can tell you how to get it working (and all python ebook scripts are similar). If you can use kindledrm, you can use kindlefix and the kindle python script that can't be named.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-09-2009 at 12:32 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
deltame, same situation; I have access to both NYC and Brooklyn libraries (I like BLP more then NYPL). I also have the Kindle 2 but I check out 95% of my library books with my Sony PRS-505. It's a great device and you can find a new one for about $275. I love my Blue PRS-505 and it's great having both a Kindle and a PRS-505!

Last edited by Lilly; 05-09-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I have a RED Sony 505 and also have account with NY public library. I find it very easy to download and read books from there.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltame View Post
I'm leaning towards EZ-book if I can be certain that it does support DRM-mobi format. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

deltame
I have the BeBook, a variant of the EZ-Book, and I can confirm that it does support DRM-Mobi. Using the fix wallcraft mentioned in his post above does allow for library books to be read. It's a very simple process, I had no trouble reading the Mobipocket eBook I downloaded from my local library.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Do not forget that the Cybook does permit you to read DRM-Mobi ebooks too.

good reading,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I have a PRS 505 and have read pdf novels on it. I have found that reading novels in pdf actually works fairly well. The problems tend to start when you want to read something scientific or academic. The Sony doesn't handle charts and graphs intensive pdfs well.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
and is a very fine device - thin and light with a nicely placed large page turn button as long as you're right handed. no folder support, but it does have dictionary lookup. it's perfect for reading DRM mobi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post

good reading,
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I have a Sony prs-505 and have read a few library books as well as books I have purchased in pdf format, and haven't experienced many problems.

The only thing I will point out, is at least with the 2 library systems I use, there are far more pdf format ebooks than mobi. I'm not sure what type of books you read, but I like romance novels and bestsellers.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post

good reading,
Unless you get the ePub firmware in which case you you'll be stuck with PDF if that firmware does support Adept since the NYPL does not yet have ePub.

Another solutions is to move to Boston where we do have ePub and get a 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #11
deltame
deltame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, EZ Reader
A big thank you to everyone here - added "karma" to all who replied.

I managed to convince myself to try and, eventually (with help from Google) figured out the command line thing - I'm happy to report that I got a couple e-books from the library onto my K2 and they look great on it. I'm especially glad to have read/heard that by this process such e-books would automatically expire from my kindle after the loan period set forth by the library - clean and clear conscious.

Now do I still want buy another device despite the "minor" success with command line? Yes, as soon as I receive/free-up some play money :-) I have my eyes on EZ-Reader over Sony 505 mainly for its multi-language support and easily replaceable battery. I should probably visit a local Sony store to get a feel of the 505 to see whether I could resist its design/build temptation.

Last edited by deltame; 05-15-2009 at 11:15 PM.
deltame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is possible to read MOBI lending library ebooks on the EZ Reader, but you have to manually set the clock to get it to work. See Library eBooks Readable = Win.

It is a shame that Amazon threw its weight around at MobileRead, because kindlefix does not circumvent DRM and is entirely legal in the US. It is still available from its original blog posting (another indication of its legality).
Did I miss something? What happened?
There's no legal danger here from Amazon, can't imagine what are you referring to...

Quote:
It can be difficult to learn the "command line", but the good news is that the Kindle Visual Guide, once decimated by Amazon's strong arm tactics, again has sections on Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac and Install Python Windows. This might be enough (with the readme.txt that comes with kindlefix) to get you to the point where lending library MOBIs work on your Kindle.

If not, see if you can use KindleDRM. This python script does not touch DRM, be it will tell you if an AZW/MOBI/PRC ebook has DRM or not. Even Amazon would likely agree that this script is legal, so we can tell you how to get it working (and all python ebook scripts are similar). If you can use kindledrm, you can use kindlefix and the kindle python script that can't be named.
Get me a used K1 around $200 or less and I'll make those scripts into a no-brainer binary you just have to run after you magically found it on a European server, hosted in a country Amazon has no business, links pointing to a Chinese anonym ftp space...

Seriously though, why would anyone care about Amazon's DRM?
If you don't like it, don't buy goods with intrusive DRM including ebooks (this is my way of life.)

Last edited by kamm; 05-15-2009 at 11:52 PM.
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamm View Post
Did I miss something? What happened?
There's no legal danger here from Amazon, can't imagine what are you referring to...
See Amazon uses DMCA to restrict where you can buy e-books. I agree that there was zero chance of Amazon suing, but I was not the one being threatened by Amazon and it would not have been the first time a company with deep pockets sued without merit.

This had real consequences, for example Visual Kindle Guide was originally deleted and its entries for KindleFIX and KindlePID are still missing in action. It was also the case that before this letter there were no restrictions on giving advice on the use of KindleFIX (because it does not remove DRM), but now there is less discussion about KindleFIX than (say) mobidedrm. The only major use for KindleFIX is to allow MOBI lending library ebooks to work on the Kindle, but that is a significant capability that Amazon should not be able to interfere with.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #14
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Amazon uses DMCA to restrict where you can buy e-books. I agree that there was zero chance of Amazon suing, but I was not the one being threatened by Amazon and it would not have been the first time a company with deep pockets sued without merit.

This had real consequences, for example Visual Kindle Guide was originally deleted and its entries for KindleFIX and KindlePID are still missing in action. It was also the case that before this letter there were no restrictions on giving advice on the use of KindleFIX (because it does not remove DRM), but now there is less discussion about KindleFIX than (say) mobidedrm. The only major use for KindleFIX is to allow MOBI lending library ebooks to work on the Kindle, but that is a significant capability that Amazon should not be able to interfere with.
I see now, thx for the links.
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
and is a very fine device - thin and light with a nicely placed large page turn button as long as you're right handed. no folder support, but it does have dictionary lookup. it's perfect for reading DRM mobi.
I'm left-handed and find the nav controls on the CyBook to be very well-placed. We should have folder support on the CyBook pretty soon now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote