Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #76
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Dicke, thank you. The best way to increase text size is to increase the output dpi. Please try the k2pdfopt help pages.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #77
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Thanks again William for this excellent program. I wanted to email you but I thought saying it here would be better:

1. Can't you preserve images somehow, without changing their size? I mean if the image is large, don't split it just fit it into the page (or next blank page)? because right now, it splits big images. If you don't do that, then the reader can zoom in for those pictures (given this case happens rarely, it won't be too inconvenient for readers).

2. When I converted this pdf with -c parameter (to preserve color), some redundant words appear in the first page where title and authors are, whereas if you do the conversion without this parameter, it works perfectly.

P.S. This tool is really helping me in my research, so thank you very much... and if you can just simply ignore images and don't split them, I would definitely like it even more.

Edit: k2pdfopt did a great job on this pdf. The original pdf is ~10 MB and output pdf is 800 KB. NICE.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 05-01-2012 at 02:14 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #78
Joe591
Joe591 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I am very excited about the possibility of a good pdf reading experience on these types of devices. Unfortunately I am having the following problem.

K2pdfopt always crashes leaving a "has stopped working" message whenever I enable the color output option. I am converting scientific pdfs for reading on the kindle fire. I have tried the x64 x32 and x32 oldCPU versions and as well as a collection of options while encoding (both png and jpeg etc.) but with no luck. I have Win7 x64 with an AMD X6 chip.

Figures are an important part of reading journal articles and their proper handling is crucial to the experience. Any wisdom to shed on this type of issue?
Joe591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #79
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Color output bug in v1.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe591 View Post
... K2pdfopt always crashes leaving a "has stopped working" message whenever I enable the color output option. ... Any wisdom to shed on this type of issue?
Joe, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. This is a known issue and is actually fixed in my working version, but I'm in the middle of adding some other new features, so I probably won't be releasing it for another few weeks. I'll see if I can't get out an interim bug-fix release before then, but I've got a lot going on right now, so I can't promise anything.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #80
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v1.41 released

I've just posted k2pdfopt v1.41 which is a bug-fix / minor improvement release. Among the issues it addresses is the issue Joe591 and cscat had with the -c option.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #81
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
UPDATE: RTFM cscat

Great job William! Thanks again...

Spoiler:

Ummm, would adding support for languages like Persian (my native language), which is RTL, difficult? (Personally, I don't think so... if it was open-source, it'd have been a breeze though! )

Details for willus:
Out of curiosity, I tried to convert one pdf and I knew it would do the following but anyway I did it in practice:

Example for original line:
شاهنامه شاهنامه شاهنامه شاهنامه فردوسی فردوسی فردوسی فردوسی
which is supposed to be read from RTL (so in this example the block all with word "شاهنامه" should be first and then the block with word "فردوسی"), but the output of k2pdfopt now is:
فردوسی فردوسی فردوسی فردوسی
شاهنامه شاهنامه شاهنامه شاهنامه

which is incorrect.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 06-18-2012 at 07:04 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #82
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Ummm, would adding support for languages like Persian (my native language), which is RTL, difficult?
A general support for RTL languages is already available.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #83
Waldorf
Waldorf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
K2pdfopt: Uneven line breaks

Willus,

Many thanks for your nifty program. I can now read pdf's from Google Books on my Kindle.

Some of the pdf files convert with uneven line breaks to the point that the converted file has almost twice the pages as the original. See the attached page in pdf.

I'm using the Windows 32 v. 1.41. I tried word wrapping without success.

Any help you can give I will appreciate.

Waldorf

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-02-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #84
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt and hanging indents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Willus,

Many thanks for your nifty program. I can now read pdf's from Google Books on my Kindle.

Some of the pdf files convert with uneven line breaks to the point that the converted file has almost twice the pages as the original. See the attached page in pdf.

I'm using the Windows 32 v. 1.41. I tried word wrapping without success.

Any help you can give I will appreciate.

Waldorf
Waldorf -- sorry for the late reply. You've found a case that k2pdfopt doesn't handle very well when wrapping text, namely, hanging indents. Ideally, k2pdfopt would detect that most of the lines are indented and correctly wrap the text, but it doesn't. I will add this to my list of possible features to implement in the future. The book also has several little comments in the margins, which k2 doesn't typically handle well. I've been thinking about ways I could handle those better. To get a better idea of how k2pdfopt is parsing your document, try the -sm option.

In the mean time, I would use -wrap- and -col 1 to turn off text wrapping and multicolumn detection, respectively (see the the third question/answer on my faq page). The only issue with doing that is that the resultant text might be too small for you.

Doing a quick google of Bryce's book, I found this page, which has it available in several formats. Some of them might be more suitable for mobile reading than the standard PDF.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #85
Waldorf
Waldorf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Willus,

Thanks for your reply & the cite to a Kindle version of Bryce. That's service above & beyond.

Best,

JWaldorf
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #86
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
TOPPOST:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /archive/k2pdfopt/k2pdfopt.exe on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Probably best to edit that now then....

Just wanted to add. Excellent product - much KUDOS

it's munching its way happily through the nth thousandth page right now on a Linux 64 system. no install, very impressed.

Last edited by twobob; 07-17-2012 at 04:31 AM. Reason: added kudos shout out
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #87
colateral
colateral began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
pllllllllllease some one help meee

it never work with me i have kobo touch V2 french

i use pdf arabic already but i can't read anything -soo smal
with this k2toPDF i get a large pdf

but i lose must of document centent !! !

colateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #88
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by colateral View Post

I am no expert there was some mention of RTL and Left to Right support options in the above threads. -c perhaps? I'm sure it will be in a readme / menu somewhere.

I have never had an issues with this so can't really help but would suggest reading up this thread

And giving a more clear explanation on what the problem is.
You say it is missing - exactly what is missing? text off the edge? pages just missing? do the extra pages get added to the page count? etc.

That sort of detail will really help get it sorted when someone comes along who knows more about the product.

Thanks

Last edited by twobob; 07-20-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: tidied it up
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #89
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt and kobo touch with arabic PDF file

Quote:
Originally Posted by colateral View Post

Colateral-- Can you attach the source PDF file you are trying to read (or provide a link to it)? That would be a big help. Can the kobo touch read PDF files directly like the kindle? Has anybody else had success with k2pdfopt on a kobo touch?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #90
colateral
colateral began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Colateral-- Can you attach the source PDF file you are trying to read (or provide a link to it)? That would be a big help. Can the kobo touch read PDF files directly like the kindle? Has anybody else had success with k2pdfopt on a kobo touch?
thank you willus

for exemple this document

[MOD: Link to copyright material removed]

after using the app , / lastest version / with default setting
i get the result
[MOD: Link to copyright material removed]

kobo read arabic pdf directly like kindle .

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-22-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: links to copyright material
colateral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools