Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #256
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz View Post
Replacement still has the light column in the lower left but much fainter. Not as "blue" in hue to the lighting which makes it better. Also color changing background is tame (still some green-red but it's all along the vertical axis, and not as your read one line. Easily livable).

I'll see if it changes....

My FW version is Kindle 5.2.0 (1729740065), everyone else's exact build match up? Mine is Wi-Fi + 3G (paid for not free upgrade... grrr....

Sidenote anyone know where the option is to turn off Special offers (pay the $20?) want to see if mine had that given for free... (read other replacements did but you still have to turn if off).
It's located in 'Manage Your Kindle' => Manage Your Devices. It will be to the right of the selected device with a link labeled either 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' depending on its current status.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #257
gosmo
gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Sidenote anyone know where the option is to turn off Special offers (pay the $20?) want to see if mine had that given for free... (read other replacements did but you still have to turn if off).
Got a link quoting that? I have a replacement coming today and went to my devices to unsubscribe, but I still have the pay $20 with 1-click button. Just wondering if I clicked the link I won't be charged...
gosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #258
chocochibi
chocochibi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I called last night about the shadow issues with my unit and got a great CS rep. He went and got his kindle PW and turned it on and said it didn't sound like what I was describing was normal, so he sent a replacement which should get here tomorrow. Hopefully it won't have the extra shadowing/blotchiness.
chocochibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #259
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosmo View Post
Got a link quoting that? I have a replacement coming today and went to my devices to unsubscribe, but I still have the pay $20 with 1-click button. Just wondering if I clicked the link I won't be charged...
Yep, my replacement color-blob unit wants $20 for to stop seeing ads.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #260
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just for fun, here's some more color-blobby goodness from my replacement that arrived yesterday. Just took this pic in a lighted room at lighting level 24. All the darker/lighter areas you see (such as the way the word 'November' spans two different background colors) are artifacts of the device, there is nothing shadowing the unit from an external light source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).JPG
Views:	243
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	93824  
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #261
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Green background?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Just for fun, here's some more color-blobby goodness from my replacement that arrived yesterday. Just took this pic in a lighted room at lighting level 24. All the darker/lighter areas you see (such as the way the word 'November' spans two different background colors) are artifacts of the device, there is nothing shadowing the unit from an external light source.

When I clicked on your picture, it looked like the entire screen was light GREEN instead of bright white. I also notice your unit was photographed from an angle, not straight down.

Could that be the effect of your flash?

Try an overhead picture without an angle and see if the background color changes to white.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #262
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
A question for those with defective displays -- do the pink and green hues become visible only when the light is turned on (or at least, not set at the lowest level/Amazon's version of 'off') or are they visible all the time, even under good lighting conditions?
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #263
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
A question for those with defective displays -- do the pink and green hues become visible only when the light is turned on (or at least, not set at the lowest level/Amazon's version of 'off') or are they visible all the time, even under good lighting conditions?
Maddeningly enough, mine only become visible when the light is on--usually right at the threshold of where you need it for the given room conditions. Meaning, the only way I can get rid of them is to make my screen just a little too dim to comfortably read in a given room.

(A note on green vs blue--I don't have the best eye for colors and screen issues--which makes me even noticing this stuff more unusual--but what I've been calling blue all along (because it was bluer on my original) does indeed look greener on the replacement, and the alternate color can have hues (to me) of pink, yellow and tan.)

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-10-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #264
Trauma Doll
Addict

Non angle view. My phone is not using a flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).JPG
Views:	197
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	93825  
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #265
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I called today and requested another exchange. This will be my 3rd paperwhite. The process was pretty painless. He has put in a request for overnight delivery and I should have my 3rd KPW 3G tomorrow.

Last edited by techiegirl; 10-10-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Grammar
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #266
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
GREEN screen.

Quote:
Non angle view. My phone is not using a flash.
Your screen looks green to me. That is a huge difference from my unit which has a very white screen.

I've posted a picture of my unit elsewhere in this forum. It certainly is very white.

I'd return it if reading on a green sheet of paper would bother you. It certainly would bother me.

There are too many defective units coming out. Maybe one of the factories had some problems. I'm sure in a few months there will be a lot fewer defective screens being produced.

Maybe just get a refund and wait until December. By then you probably will get a good unit.

Its possible that Amazon may be shipping the returned units back out again to fill replacement requests now hoping most customers will accept them without complaints.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-10-2012 at 10:06 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #267
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Maddeningly enough, mine only become visible when the light is on--usually right at the threshold of where you need it for the given room conditions. Meaning, the only way I can get rid of them is to make my screen just a little too dim to comfortably read in a given room.

(A note on green vs blue--I don't have the best eye for colors and screen issues--which makes me even noticing this stuff more unusual--but what I've been calling blue all along (because it was bluer on my original) does indeed look greener on the replacement, and the alternate color can have hues (to me) of pink, yellow and tan.)
Ditto.

My replacement looks almost just like yours with that big blob of shadow covering most of the upper 2/3. I think I've got a bit more pink though with an especially big (thumb sized) blob in the lower left. I can still read on it, but it tires out my eyes and I'm having to read much more slowly because of the effect the shadows have.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #268
gosmo
gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trauma girl, mine looks alot like yours but the blobs are mainly at one end of the screen so it's not too distracting. I think you did a pretty good job capturing the problem. It's difficult to take photographic evidence of the paperwhites frontlight. Even with two different Kindles with the same issue using two different cameras using the same light settings and conditions on both machines will produce wildly different results.

xtine, I just inspected mine with my phones torch and the screen looks fine, no green also no problems outside in the sunlight.
gosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #269
Philz
Philz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Ditto.

My replacement looks almost just like yours with that big blob of shadow covering most of the upper 2/3. I think I've got a bit more pink though with an especially big (thumb sized) blob in the lower left. I can still read on it, but it tires out my eyes and I'm having to read much more slowly because of the effect the shadows have.
Actually the green is how it should be. Mine is white once you get the lighting up (I rather like it low so it shows green). The E-Ink screens are actually slightly green in color (Use adobe Lightroom and WB adjuster to see the inherent hue). Same for my kindle keyboard. If the light is to light up the screen in a front light manner it will also make that hue stronger, till it overpowers it.

My only complaint at this point is my replacements lower right led seems to leak out compared to everything else. A bit of fatigue reading with the lights out at night. Might get used to it, might not but holding on to this one for now. I'll look into taking a picture later.
Philz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #270
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
I just called and will be getting another replacement also.
This will be my 3rd PW.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote