Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
Honeycomb

Android claims Honeycomb has no hardware requirements. Any idea if it will run on the Vox..... Jeff perhaps.... have you had any look at this.
Seems Gingerbread was never meant for a tablet and Honeycomb is and is a huge improvement.
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Once I get all the recovery business out of the way I can get to the fun stuff like installing different ROMs.

You're right, though. It's theoretically possible.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Honeycomb isn't really an improvement, IMO. It's pretty buggy still, and it didn't support 7" tablets until 3.2. It's also a pig and is slow on hardware much better than what the Vox packs. I'd avoid it.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

ice cream sandwich (4.0) would be a better target.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I'm rather hoping Kobo provides us with the 4.0 upgrade in H1/2012 (i.e., by June), given that 4.0 has been released and seems to be the best target upgrade for a 7" tablet.

Am I laughably optimistic?
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I'm rather hoping Kobo provides us with the 4.0 upgrade in H1/2012 (i.e., by June), given that 4.0 has been released and seems to be the best target upgrade for a 7" tablet.

Am I laughably optimistic?
With the Vox's hardware? Yes. It's proving barely capable of running 2.3 Gingerbread as it is, so the experience with 4.0 is likely to be horrendous.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Well, It's an ereader, and so nothing over 2.3.3 is needed for what people who buy it need.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

I've played with Honeycomb on bigger tablets and it's quite fast. I doubt that it will play quite so nicely on the Vox. Maybe Vox 2?
trek790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Fast? It still lags changing screens. It's not ready for prime time - Honeycomb made me keep the iPad. At least THAT is responsive, even if it's limited.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote